“Convenient and business hotel”

The Sultan Hotel & Residence Jakarta
Ranked #78 of 472 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Close to convention centre with connected underpass (air conditioned) and travelator. Fairly near to most of the malls and the hotel room isn't half bad.

Shower is an issue... if you need the hot water, the water pressure would be at the stage where it would break your skin. You don't get to adjust it separately. That, I don't like...

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I wouldn't mind staying here again for the proximity, the hotel is connected to the convention centre via a (usually) airconditioned walkway that spares guests from walking alongside Jakarta traffic and sun.

Initially booked deluxe room through the hotel but wanted to change my reservation to the executive room after hearing bad reviews about the deluxe rooms. The reservation service was not helpful at all when I called, saying all executive rooms were full when I could see rooms still available at their website. Decided to cancel the original reservation I had and make a new booking.

Breakfast is mediocre but the service at the executive floor was nice. No wifi in the room which is unexpected of the executive floor of a supposedly 5-star business hotel.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

We were in Jakarta for the Lab Indonesia exhibition recently and stayed in this hotel for four nights. Disappointing stay. Smelly bathroom. Cloth closet top shelves dusty. Bed not comfortable. Breakfast is repeative everyday and lack varieties comparing with most hotels of the same class in the region.The reception staff don't seem to understand english well and bungled up my request for a non smoking room next three days.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed there for the new year celebration with my family. There is nothing special in particular to say about this hotel. The service was average, there was no personal touch but the check in and check out process went accordingly. The room was okay. You can tell that this is an old hotel but everything was still maintained properly.

Breakfast was awful! The restaurant was overcrowded with guests, as that was on the new year's eve, but the restaurant manager didn't seem to prepare for this occasion. The waiters seemed to pretend that they didn't hear us when we asked for our cutleries that we had to wait for almost 15 minutes . The choice is limited, even many 4-star hotels in Jakarta have more selection. I have been to the Peacock that serves buffet on a different occasion and personally it was overpriced for the standard dishes they serve.

The location is strategic, though. It's close to sports stadium, restaurants in Taman Ria Senayan and malls.

Back in its golden years when it was still the Hilton, this hotel was one of the top destination in South Jakarta. But now, If I really don't have to, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Arachma
Reviewed May 12, 2012

This hotel used to be the Hilton and back then it had a great reputation, so when I won a voucher to stay here, I decided on a weekend getaway.
The reception staff are slow and the girl who checked me didn't even bother to read the voucher. It was for 2 nights, (even my booking was for 2 nights) but she only checked me in for one night, thus meaning that not only did I have to go down and ask for another night's breakfast voucher, but it was also really annoying the next day when my key "expired" and I had to wait in a huge line to get it reactivated for the extra day.
It's extremely difficult to reach the front desk/concierge by phone. It rings and rings and takes several attempts to actually get someone to pick up. This definitely didn't help my temper when I noticed the receptionist's mistake AFTER I had reached the room. And this connection problem happened throughout my stay.

The room decor looks like it hasn't changed since the 90's when it was the Hilton, not super clean, and there were stains on my bed sheets.

I wasn't given a fruit basket (as I normally get in 5 star hotels whenever I've used vouchers), nor was there anything in the minibar. I was also surprised that there wasn't a bathrobe to be found anywhere in the closet. Also, a staffer walked into my room after a short knock - he thought the room was empty - which also speaks to the disorganization of the hotel.

The breakfast buffet was seriously lacking in variety, and what I did eat was only OK in taste... plus it was disorganized. No bowls by the cereal and muesli, and only forks available so I had to get a spoon by the... fruit.

Finally, the was always a lot of noise from outside which meant that while the bed was comfortable enough, I didn't get to sleep in late like I would have liked.

Even the checkout process was ridiculously long. It just seemed like there was no urgency in the way the staff work.

All these things I would normally forgive but together, it just seems to make this hotel seem unorganized and unprofessional.
Overall it's not a terrible hotel. Just not a 5 star hotel. And I can't really say that I would recommend this hotel to my friends. So in one word: "Meh".

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ecakes
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Stayed at the Lagoon Tower. Aging rooms, only thing new is a small flatscreen TV. Breakfast is not more than a 3 star. Plan carefully when leaving with a taxi. Nobody in the valet booth will move a finger and it can take up to 20 minutes to get one...

Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

I stay 5 nights when i follow diving expo in jakarta. The hotel is very nice, clean with cozy garden and pool. The room are big and nice. The best is the location on Jl sudirman so thats in the central of jakarta so close to the expo place and easy to go somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2012