“Excellent place to stay”
Review of Gran Melia Jakarta

Gran Melia Jakarta
Ranked #23 of 472 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Really nice hotel, with very pleasant staff. I normally avoid buffets, but I had breakfast, lunch and dinner there during my few days stay, and each time it was excellent. I also went to the Japanese restaurant and it was equally good.

It's pretty far from the airport and not near anything great in KL. That's the only real criticism I have.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to share your excellent experience regarding your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed our Gran Melia hospitality especially our buffet restaurant. Your generous words will be warmly received by our team at Gran Melia Jakarta. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Yours sincerely,

Resident Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,163)

Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stayed at the Gran Melia in early June attending a conference. Let me please save everybody a lot of time - don't think about staying at the Gran Melia 'Just do It' as it is one of the best hotels in Jakarta.

Rooms - excellent, food - divine, ambience - exciting, guest relations - welcoming and the facilities perfect for that conference, event or function.

As a seasoned corporate traveller I cannot fault the hotel.

Just a cautionary word of warning - give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport as the traffic in Jakarta is or can be a 'nightmare' so be warned otherwise enjoy the stay!

Room Tip: Jakarta traffic is horrendous so allow plenty of time to get to the airport.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind message endorsing Gran Melia Jakarta as “A Gran(d) Hotel”. That was most considerate and very kind. It would seem that our mission was accomplished with regards to your stay.

Assuring you that the team here intends to keep it that way and improve further on a daily basis and it will always be your second home. We look forward to exceeding your expectations next time we may have the pleasure of your company

Reviewed June 7, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Reviewed June 4, 2014

The Spainish hotel chain Melia is a very solid competitor to the host of American brand names and the Gran Melia in Jakarta is a very good business hotel. It's enjoyed a recent refurbish and has a vast selection of restaurant outlets and one of the best breakfast layouts I've seen in some years. It's let down however by the location ( a fair distance from the heart of Jakarta but you'd know this before you booked) and an outdated internet policy. Internet is free only in the public space and only at pre-2000 dial up speeds - anything of more significant speed you pay and pay and pay. For a hotel that is squarely positioned for the business market this is outrageous and needs to be rectified before we'd come back.

Recommended: Depends on the internet conditions - if this is sorted then probably. All in all a satisfactory hotel with good staff service levels.

Room Tip: high room away from the lift lobby
2  Thank ThrillingMe
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear Guest,

First and foremost, on behalf of our hotel I would like thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to Gran Melia Jakarta.
Please accept our apology for the inconvenience caused due to internet policy in the room. I truly understand the unpleasant experience on your recent visit and it had changed your whole impression about our hotel, Please accept my sincere apology in regards of this matter. Our aim at all times to continuously providing a service to our guests which is second to none.
Thank you for your valuable feedback and I wish we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence with Gran Melia Jakarta.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed 1 night only at Gran Melia to attend my brother's wedding reception.
The check in was a breeze.
We amazed by the size of the size of the room and the bathroom. The room and bathroom was generously large and comfortable. King-sized bed, large seating area, fridge, kettle, bathtub, shower.
The staff was friendly.
Breakfast was superb, consisted of a generous international buffet spread - continential, japanese, oriental, indian and also for vegetarian.
Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rardiasti
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear Ms. Rardiasti,
Thank you so much for your kind and generous review which is even more gratifying as I see on Trip Advisor this has scored a property five out of five.

We are delighted that you found the hotel service convenient and efficient. And thank you for your comments especially the variety of foods in Café Gran Via

The teams here appreciate the encouraging words and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed June 1, 2014

This is my fourth stay at the Gran Melia in the last year. I rate the hotel highly for it's food, cleanliness and service standards. The rooms are pleasant and the hotel is reasonably quiet. However the Internet access has continued to become worse. The hotel appears to have changed ISP's and the "complimentary high speed internet access" is now barely 30Kb/s at the best of times, and substantially worse most of the time. Of course they have now introduced an upsel to higher speeds, however I believe that services in a hotel should only ever be changed to improve the guest experience and this one certainly has not. In addition the new system requires a guest to login every day, meaning that devices left working overnight stop being connected to the internet at midnight (I believe). For the type of hotel and price of the Gran Melia I believe that this is a poor experience for the business traveller in particular. In all other areas I would rate them at 4.5* however as this aspect is so important to business travellers and they have deliberately made it worse (and more expensive) when most hotels are striving to provide faster and more reliable access for free means I must rate them down.

Dear Guest,

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience caused due to internet connection in the room. I truly understand the unpleasant experience on your recent visit and it had changed your whole impression about our hotel, Please accept my sincere apology in regards of this matter. Our aim at all times to continuously providing a service to our guests which is second to none.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I tried to write the review when I was at the hotel last week, but the internal connection was so bad that I couldn't load the website (and other websites) properly. It happened most of the time during my 2 stays over 2 weeks. It requires log-in every time your device is connected. The connection was terminated every 24 hours, which means that if you use the internet every night, it will kick you out exactly when you are working on something online. To avoid this, you have to pay some ridiculous charges for "premium" plans.

Another issue is the noise during the night. I was put in a room facing the busy main road for the first week. The windows didn't block much of the noise. I requested a room on the other side for the second week and out of my expectation, it was even worse. I was waken up by the broadcast of Muslim praying from a mosque at 4:30am and 5am every night. I called the service line on the second night but the person on the other side couldn't understand simple english words such as "noise", "below" etc. After repeating the issue in the morning, I was moved back to the "better" side facing the noisy road,

In general, the hotel tried to create a high-end atmosphere by greeting you at every single corner at the lobby. The rooms are of very good size, but the design and condition need some improvements. The over-sized bathroom doors are blocking the entrance to the shower and water floods the bathroom due to some problem with the design of the shower door. The so called "premier" room I got for the second week is in fact a corner room coming with a tired bathroom with a lot of black mould. Ironically, black mould, broken tiles and toilet bowl with long cracks did not exist in the smaller standard room. Given a rate of over USD170 per night, the quality was much lower than I expected after reading the previous reviews here.

In term of food choices, I tried the Japanese and the buffet restaurant. Tempura at the Jap restaurant was awful but other items were not as bad. For the buffet, quite a few dishes were the same as the breakfast (which had a very good spread). There is another Chinese restaurant which I avoided. Without pork, the food can never be authentic anyway. If you want a dinner of reasonable price, take a blue bird taxi (instead of the double-price taxis recommended by the hotel) to the nearby malls.

Room Tip: Both sides are noisy, so your choice is between the noise of the main road or the noise from the mos...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience caused due to internet connection and the noise during the night. I truly understand the unpleasant experience on your recent visit and it had changed your whole impression about our hotel, Please accept my sincere apology in regards of this matter. I have personally addressed this issue to related departments to improve our excellent service. Your valuable comments in regards of bathroom and Japanese restaurant have been well warmly received and we appreciated for bringing this issue to our attention so we know which areas of improvement that we need to rectify. Our aim at all times to continually providing a service to our guests which is second to none.
Thank you for your valuable feedback is and I wish we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence with Gran Melia Jakarta.