“Urban center”

Ranked #22 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Jakarta
“Urban center”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Large hotel offering all usual amenities of this category. A bit disappointing was the difficult use of the air conditioning (staff needed to stopp extreme cooling) and the wifi internet connection was rather slow and unstable. Rooms facing the street are rather noisy. Breakfast is of good quality offering big choices for every taste. The loby is rather noisy and has a bad acoustics: when there is a musical performance in the lobby bar, there is no escape to any silent corner. The echoes follow you anywhere. The convention center is large and has all necessray facilities.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear Mr. Peter,
First and foremost, on behalf of our hotel I would like thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review in regards of your recent visit to Gran Melia Jakarta.

We had noted your concerns in regards of noisy sound from the street and music from lobby and update the remarks on our database so that we will anticipate this issue by assigning your room facing the quiet side. We are also taking your concern about the air conditioning and wifi connection in the room. Please accept my sincere apology in regards of these matters and I have personally addressed these issues to related departments to improve our excellent service.
Thank you for your valuable feedbacks and I wish we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence with Gran Melia Jakarta

Mr. Peter, once again please allow me to express my sincere apology and I look forward to welcoming you back at Gran Melia Jakarta.

With that in mind, I remain, at your service

Best Regards,

Manuel Quiros,
Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful hotel with impeccable service. I really enjoyed the buffet breakfast (make sure you get it), it has the largest spread I've seen. Traffic in Jakarta is a complete nightmare day or night, so if coming from or going to the international airport, make sure to leave yourself a lot of time.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Madam,
Thank you for your kind message endorsing Gran Melia Jakarta as “Beautiful hotel excellent service”. That was most considerate and very kind. It would seem that our mission was accomplished with regards to your stay.

Assuring you that the team here intends to keep it that way and improve further on a daily basis and it will always be your second home. We look forward to exceeding your expectations next time we may have the pleasure of your company

Yours faithfully,

Manuel Quiros
Resident Manager
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2014

we stayed over the New Year and i have to say the staff at this hotel are exceptional everyone we came into contact with were professional welcoming and polite especially our concierge Defriton who was so lovely and helpful also Rusli Ade Faisal was extremely helpful. The Breakfast is very good and the rooms are very clean and comfortable. The evening buffet was fantastic with so much choice and deserts to die for.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dhini Maritza M, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Sir,

We're so glad to hear that you were happy with our staffs and our service. Your generous words will be warmly received by Defrizon and Rusli Ade Faizal at Gran Melia Jakarta.
Thank you for reviewing us and we hope to see you again soon!

With kindest regards,

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2014

This hotel appears at first sight to be cavernous and typically anonymous and international. This is not so; all the staff make a huge effort to engage and manage to call you by name from day 1. I stayed for 15 days and was upgraded to the Red floor (14). This had a large lounge staffed by a team who went out of their way to make my stay easier. There was always a cup of coffee available, a glass of wine appeared in the evening, they found me a charger for my phone and changed my car to the airport. More than that, they seemed to be genuinely interested in my day. Sadly I couldn't oblige with discussion on the merits of UK football teams or the royal family but I appreciated the effort they made. Likewise when I obviously wanted to work they left me in peace.

The breakfast buffet was one of the most comprehensive I have experienced as was the dinner. Sunday brunch was reported by my colleagues as excellent. The location is not great but taxis are so cheap its not hard to go out to eat/ go shopping etc.

Room Tip: If you can be allocated to Floor 14 it is well worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Madam,

What can we say apart from “Thank you”. Your comments about our room, breakfast, internet, and especially our Red Level team are noted, appreciated and are most helpful. Assuring you of our commitment to raise standards further for the benefit of all our valued guests.

With kindest regards and sincere thanks,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I've stayed in this hotel three times over the last few months, and on every visit I had a great stay. The hotel's location is prime and most taxi drivers know the hotel. The reception staff are very pleasant and my check-in was super quick every time. The rooms were incredibly spacious and maintained very well. The shower area and WC were quite spacious as well. The bedding was super comfortable and the room felt like a true 5-star room. Their wi-fi speed is real good. Because I was on a business trip, this was essential for me. In Jakarta, internet connectivity isn't something you can take for granted and I was quite impressed with their internet speed.

A special mention needs to be given for the food. Knowing, that I'm an Indian, the staff went beyond their call of duty to prepare hot Indian meals even though it was way past 11 (when they officially stop taking order for Indian food). Kudos to all the chefs and the hotel. What was even more amazing was the generous spread of Indian food in the breakfast buffet. The food tasted very good.

Even though I visited the hotel on business, I'd recommend this place for everyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank yofobubu
Dhini Maritza M, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your kind and generous review which is even more gratifying as I see on Trip Advisor this has scored a property five out of five.

We are delighted that you found the hotel service convenient and efficient. And thank you for your appreciations to the staff especially the kitchen staffs of Indian food in Café Gran Via

The teams here appreciate the encouraging words and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Jakarta soon.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I only occasionally come to Jakarta for business so I cannot comment on how this hotel would be for families or how this compares with many of the other hotels in the area, however, it was far nicer than the previous placed I stayed so I welcomed the change and I did notice that there was quite a number of western families staying here over the New Year period. All seemed to be enjoying themselves! First thing I noticed was that despite arriving earlier than planned, we were checked into our rooms early with no hassles. This began what was an excellent customer service experience. The standard of the rooms was excellent - my room was classed as a junior suite and had modern fittings and décor including a formal dining area (which got used as the work table). The air conditioning was sometimes hard to get exactly right (was a little on the cold side). The architecture of the place (especially what I guess you'd call the foyer area) had lots of quirky little touches and lighting effects at night out in the corridors and public areas. My room had a view out to the city which was lovely at night with no noise from the world outside either which was welcomed. Business facilities were excellent - I had no problems with decent internet connection and when asked, I got some great front of house support to help me get some printing done for work. Rooms were serviced daily with little touches of luxury with the toiletries (which to be honest I don't normally notice but did on this occasion). I had breakfast a couple of times in the Gran Va buffet restaurant and it was first class (and busy) with a wide variety of goodies for both Western and local tastes (needless to say that if you wanted your bacon and eggs, there was more than a few ways to treat yourself) and again, service in the restaurant was first class. Would love to come back and take a dip in the lagoon pool!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

What can we say apart from “Thank you”. Your comments about our room, breakfast, and internet are noted, appreciated and are most helpful. Assuring you of our commitment to raise standards further for the benefit of all our valued guests.

With kindest regards and sincere thanks,

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Even though this hotel seems like has been around for quite some time, the management has successfully renovated its property in general.
Room is excellent and very cozy equipped with wood ornament around. There is a nice sofa by the window which has a very nice curtain overlooking the main street and some skyscrapers around the area. The bathroom is clearly one of the best feature of the hotel equipped with a nice bathtub, shower area and a see through windows overlooking the bed.
The pool though, is undergoing a major renovation. I guess it would be a great one when it is finished.
The unique ceiling on the lobby is also a plus point of this property.
Overall, this is a great hotel to stay while in Jakarta.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dhini Maritza M, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for posting your enthusiastic recommendation of the newly rejuvenated and completely refurbished Gran Melia Jakarta.

Your generous words will be warmly received by the team at Gran Melia Jakarta. Looking forward to sharing more of our service improvements, the teams appreciate it and join me every day in our commitment to raise standards further.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

With thanks and very best wishes,