“A lovely hotel”
Review of Gran Melia Jakarta

Gran Melia Jakarta
Ranked #24 of 471 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Really nice hotel. Great food. There was even a Colombian Food Festival on, offering very good food. The buffet was fantastic. Service great. If you do mind paying just a teeny weeny more for a silver (Merc) taxi, ask for the Bluebird taxi. But be prepared to spend a lot of time in traffic jams! The hotel was really lovely

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chisanga C
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your kind and considerate endorsement. The team here appreciates the encouraging words and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Jakarta soon.
Until next time my warmest regards,
Resident Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,184)

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Third stay in a Jakarta hotel and by far the best. Stayed for four nights in May. Lets get the bad things out of the way....the room keys were unreliable in the lifts & a rather 'cold' bar service in the main bar. Minor but irritating. Everything else was super. Red Level rooms get use of the wonderful lounge run by the amazing Cut Irma and her extra helpful team. They couldn't do enough to help during my stay. Free evening cocktails and appetisers. 3 great restaurants onsite... Buffet, Chinese, & Japanese. $45 credit per day towards food & drink if you book online. Great rooms cleaned spotlessly but showing their age a little. All staff smiled and were genuinely friendly. Felt 'safe'.This is where I will stay on all future trips.

Room Tip: Go for the red level and book online to get the $45 per day food credit.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Dear Mr. White,
Really appreciate your positive comments. Our Red Level Lounge just opened on 1st May 2013 and it is a pleasure for us to learn that we giving our guests attractive experiences during their stay at the executive floor. Your kind consideration in writing will be appreciated by Cut Irma and her team.
Thank you for such kind and generous consideration and hoping to have the opportunity to be of service to you again soon.

Until next time my warmest regards,
Manel Quiros

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on a business trip for one night and checked out the next day into JW Marriot which is nearby! The hotel room is disappointingly dated - the "auto closing" spring on the door causes the door to slam and when that happens, the walls vibriate!. A a result, I was woken up twice by 2 separate neighbours who came back late at night. At 4.30am the very nearby Muslim mosque with their Call to Prayer on the loudspeaker is another wake up call.

Most hotels have the TV Channel guide on a list which you can refer to in selecting the desired TV channel to watch. Strangely, the TV Channel guide for this hotel is on one channel of the TV itself - very inconvenient for channel selection!

Location wise - the hotel is situated in an area where the traffic congestion is crazy! If you are travelling by car, it can take you 30 mins just to get in or out of the congested roads that surround the hotel. I ended up walking to the main road from the hotel, crossed the overhead bridge to the other side to catch a taxi and beat the traffic congestion - extremely inconvenient, uncomfortable (with the pollution, heat etc) and stressful!

For the price you pay, you can get better hotels with rooms in better condition (more comfortable and newer funishing) and better location! Overall experience was disappointing - the check in experience was cold and unfriendly, the night in the room was with broken sleep, breakfast was very ordinary.

I will definitely not stay at this hotel again!

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your value comments and we appreciate your feedback. On behalf of Gran Melia Jakarta, please accept our apology for the inconvenience caused.

However I am glad to inform that our TV channel guide list available not only on the TV itself but also available inside of our directory service book in every guest room.

Basically our hotel location is in the business district of Jakarta which is very hectic traffic during peak hours. In this matter, we are very sorry to learn that our location was not ideal for your business needs demands. Hoping that business demands more meetings in this central CBD district soon so we may have the pleasure of your company once again

Thank you for your valuable feedbacks and I wish we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence with Gran Melia Jakarta.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I spent three nights in this hotel during a business trip in Jakarta at the beginning of may.
I can't say if its location is the best (maybe other hotel are in better areas) because I still haven't understood Jakarta urban planning.
Anyway.. we chose to stay in the "Red level", just paying a little extra charge (it is worth!)
There is another reception, only for the guests of this floor, another breakfast room, soft drinks are included all day long, there is a free happy hour from 18 to 21.
The whole staff is super kind and helpful, they make you feel like you are the only guest of the hotel!
The food is sooo good! We tried the japanese restaurant and the buffet and everything was delicious, expecially sushi.
The swimming pool is nice and the spa is really good. We had a wonderful couples massage.
I really suggest this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Ms. Trent,

Your comments on our service, our services and product are most encouraging and my thanks to you for your consideration in writing this review. It would seem that our mission was accomplished with regards to your stay and we look forward to exceeding your expectations next time we may have the pleasure of your company.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights on a business trip. This is an excellent hotel not just because of the beautiful and clean environment. The staff was fantastic because they always had a smile from you, from the security personnel when you first arrive to the reception to the room service. They had so much initiative unlike many other 5-star hotels which I've stayed in. Everyone was keen to help when you ask for it, instead of referring you to the colleague which is responsible for it.

Safe with lots of security, great variety for breakfast, fast internet connect (including wifi) in the rooms. These are some of the great things you can come to expect at this hotel.

However, in all businesses, it's the people and the human-touch that will make it truly successful and this hotel has it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Sir,

I am almost embarrassed responding as your words are so flattering.

The teams here extend thanks to you.

Hoping to have the pleasure of meeting you on your next stay

My warmest regards,

Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was a great hotel and everything worked as it should. I stayed four nights on a business trip to Jakarta. The wifi was fast and included in the room rate - that's a big plus for me as I tend to rail against five star hotels who see this as an optional (and chargeable) extra. My room was comfortable, large and good value for money.

The restaurant had a super buffet in the evenings with a great mix of Indonesian, Japanese, Indian and Chinese food. The beef satay was superb. The house red was excellent but pricey at about £6 for a glass - but then you don't go to Indonesia for the wine!

All the staff were unfailingly efficient and friendly. I slept through an alarm call one morning and was woken up by two gentlemen in my room - they had obviously come to see if I was actually alive. I was, but was not a pretty sight staggering around in my underpants! I was glad of their attention though as I got to my appointment on time.

The hotel is located in South Jakarta but is close to the expressway that goes to the airport. Journey time can vary between 40 minutes and much more. Jakarta has no transport infrastructure and so the roads gets pretty clogged up during the day.

I missed the hotel pool as the weather was cloudy and wet when I was there, but I would stay at the Gran Melia Jakarta again without hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear Sir,
Thank you so much for taking the time to posting your excellent experience at Gran Melia Jakarta. We are so glad that you find the accommodation and restaurants were up to your expectations. Assuring you that the teams here intend to keep it that way and improve further on a daily basis
I am glad to report that we really concern about our guest morning call in order to make sure that none of our guest missed their important appointment.

Be assured that our team will work tirelessly in the hope that we may have the opportunity to leave you with memories next time you stay and thank you for your positive comment on our staff, our Executive Chef and his team would be very happy to know that you enjoyed dinner buffet.

With that in mind, I remain,

Reviewed May 19, 2013

One of the nicest hotel I have seen in my life. Wonderful design, everything is perfect and people very kind. Nothing else to add except that I know where to go next time in Jakarta
A silence as if you are alone in the hotel!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for posting your enthusiastic recommendation of the newly rejuvenated and completely refurbished Gran Melia Jakarta.
Your generous words will be warmly received by the team at Gran Melia Jakarta.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

With thanks and very best wishes,