“Need to fixed a few things, But Overall this is a Great Hotel”
Review of Gran Melia Jakarta

Gran Melia Jakarta
Ranked #19 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Jakarta
“Need to fixed a few things, But Overall this is a Great Hotel”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have stayed at Gran Melia more than three times but this is my first review of this hotel. There's a reason that I keep coming back to this hotel..also there is a few back drawn that I need to share with the management. Usually I have no problem, but at my last stay.. the staff in the front office did not even bother to look up when my husband stand in front of the counter waiting to check us in. He had to stand there for a several minutes until that staff, Tony, asked my husband. After several minutes, the staff found my reservation via ex....dia website, he said reluctantly that I have to print the voucher, and he point for business center where I can print it. I was quite surprised because this wasn't my first time to make reservation via website and all I have to do is show the voucher from my iphone, no need to print it..What I do not understand is, this hotel is under the green awards hotel, so why do they want to waste paper for something that is not important (and breakfast coupon also!). And is it so hard for them to just print the voucher for us, if very necessary to print it? Off course I raised my voice and complaint. My husband even wanted to cancel the reservation and move to another hotel. After that, the staff print the voucher without saying a words and check us in. Beside that incident, I really enjoy staying at Gran Melia, because this hotel is not as crowded as JW Marriot Hotel or Kempinski hotel..breakfast is always excellent, spacious and clean room. Free in room wifi , although sometimes has a low signal, Friendly staffs... Especially at Gran Via, where we had our breakfast. Sugiyana was very helpful.. This Hotel is still under renovation, so I hope everything will be fixed soon and I will be glad to stay at Gran Melia again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your most valuable feedback and my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused as a result of check-in problem at the front of the hotel.

Service has to be intuitive and excellent at all times for a hotel to be the first choice every time. Management is responsible. The staff here are genuinely focused on looking after guests yet we as management need to give them the training and tools to do that at all times.

Please be assured that we will refocus on this as a priority in the short term.

With kindest regards,

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed April 7, 2013

In general, good hotel with some minor hiccups not allowing me to grant 5 stars what it should deserve:
- when ordering food delivery, there apparently is a problem to either send the delivery boy to the room or organize bellboy to deliver it. Instead, need to answer phone call with a lecture that for security reasons i need to go downstairs to pick it up myself. Only after my information that i am just out of the shower and i doubt other hotel guests would like me see wet and semi naked, the bell boy was organized to deliver the food, which of course didn't got warmer during that process.

- bad hygienic standards in their japanese restaurant. I didn't left the hotel that day, and with my japanese colleague we decided to have dinner at this rather expensive japanese place. Apparently the raw fish offered was not fresh and the food poisoning didn't allow me to properly function the following morning. I informed about this the waiter the following day, but they just asked what is my room number... So, if there is no interest, I cant do anything about it...

- The wifi access is limited only to 1 device simultaneously. This is very annoying, as nowadays people not only use just a computer, but also phone and tablet for staying connected. In this hotel that unfortunately means logging in and out constantly...

On the positive side, the staff in general is well trained, friendly and courteous. Breakfast and lunch buffet is superb as well as their fresh juice offer in the mornings.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Sir,

I appreciate your feedback in light of your profile mission of “Good standard with some hiccups”.

I am glad to report that for security and safety reasons we do not allow the delivery boy to go up to the guest room instead we call the guests to hand over directly with the delivery boy.

Your comments concerning hygienic standards in our Japanese restaurant is most helpful and we shall review our procedure on hygienic standards.

Wifi is already installed in all rooms, we are in the process to up-grade our system, for the benefit of readers we can use the system usually within 5 minutes of being requested.

Be assured that our team will work tirelessly in the hope that we may have the opportunity to leave you with memories next time you stay and thank you for your positive comment on our staff, our Executive Chef and his team would be very happy to know that you enjoyed breakfast and lunch buffet.

With that in mind, I remain,

Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed at the Gran Melia for just two nights whilst on business in Jakarta: I wish it had been longer. My room was extremely spacious and comfortable and spotlessly clean. Service in particular was outstanding with every member of the staff being courteous and friendly - everyone smiled.
Breakfast was excellent with a wide choice of food available to cater for all tastes. I did not dine in the hotel (ran out of time unfortunately) but enjoyed listening to live music in the evening whilst having a drink from the bar. The pool area isn't huge but was very pleasant and quiet.
This was my first visit to Jakarta and without question I would want to stay here again next time

1 Thank Bluenose711
Inge L K, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind message endorsing Gran Melia Jakarta as a ‘Great Hotel’. That was most considerate and kind.

Hoping to have the pleasure of meeting you on your next stay.

Yours faithfully,

Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 2 nights on a business trip and really enjoyed it. Beautiful entrance and foyer, nice bar and live music, had a banquet in the chinese restaurant (very good), excellent free in-room wifi, breakfast buffet exceptional (indo, western, japanese, chinese, indian - wow), good tv and desk. Only twin rooms left but the bed was very comfortable. Sadly did not have time to check out the pool or gym. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank leafygreen
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Sir,

I am almost embarrassed responding as your words are so flattering.

The teams here extend thanks to you.

Until next time my warmest regards,

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Since the client was paying, the automatic Mole Option of the Shangri-la was not on the table. But when we arrived at the Gran Melia, it seemed like a 'reasonable' alternative. Haven't been there before and My Goodness Me was I pleasantly surprised. 'Grand and Stately' sums it all up nicely from the spacious Foyer to the Grand Staircase. Pleasant and efficient staff, splendidly sized rooms, well stocked with all the amenities for the business traveller to rescue and take home as presents. Coffee shop was excellent and the Italian restaurant is well worth a visit - provided you check in the title deeds of your castle before you look at the wine list! The lounge area is cosmopolitan and fresh BUT, Dear Ones, check the prices before having more than one drink!
Room rates (mine was US$169++) are, however, VERY reasonable and excellent Value for Money. Breakfast was included - and a jolly good breakfast it was too. Not many make it into Mole's Grand Old Lady class - but the Gran Melia simply ROMPED home!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for posting your enthusiastic recommendation of the newly rejuvenated and completely refurbished Gran Melia Jakarta.
We are so glad that you find the accommodation, Restaurants, service to be ahead of the rest as well as the efficient staffs.
Assuring you that the team here intends to keep it that way and improve further on a daily basis.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have been a member of Marriott Hotel, so my first choice in Jakarta is JW Marriott Hotel Jakarta. It's a good hotel for business trip, but unfortunately not available this time. Gran Melia was my next choice and this time was a second stay since January of this year. Overall I was satisfied very much with this hotel. Hotel staffs were very polite , friendly and always with smile. Elevator needed a card key to get my floor, so I felt troublesome but good from security point of view. My room was facing to elevator, so I worried about outside noise but in room it was quiet and turned out to be groundless. The room was confortable and enough space. When I got into the room it was too cold, so immidiately I turned of AC. The switch was easy to find. Welcome fruits and letter were on the table. WiFi and laundry 3pieces are complimentary (special program?). Breakfast buffet was surprising, so many kinds of food from all over the world like Japan, china, Indonesian and Western. You will be amazed to see that. The hotel locasion is close to Block M. The Jakarta traffic jam was terrible (worse than Bangkok where I 'm living now), but easy to access there. Only my negative point was in room minibar, there were no whisky, only beer and soft drinks. Check out was smooth and no trouble. Good hotel.

1 Thank Yamane T
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Madam,

Your generous words will be warmly received by the team at Gran Melia Jakarta.

Looking forward to the pleasure of your company again soon.

With kindest regards,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Traveled on business to Jakarta recently and was very happy I picked the Gran Melia. The experience for the business traveler in this hotel was first rate. Rooms and hotel was recently renovated. So rooms and facilities were extremely clean and well maintained.

What I Liked:
1. Breakfast: Morning spread at Cafe Gran Via was amazing. Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, Continental tastes all catered for.
2. Internet: Wired and wifi are complimentary, and super fast.
3. Gym: Well maintained equipment.

What I Didn't Like: Not much not too like but the followed irked me a little. The housekeeping staff were sometimes too quick to clear the daily newspapers (I like to take my time). Room service menus were not available. A little too stingy with the toiletries - had to call to get more soap and shampoo. A pillow menu would be nice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manuel Q, Manager at Gran Melia Jakarta, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Sir,

Looking forward to sharing more of our service improvements, the team appreciate it and join me every day in our commitment to raise standards further.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

With thanks and very best wishes,