$168
$165
$85
Cancelon
1,681 results
All reviewshorizon clubsatoo restauranthorizon floorlobby loungebuffet restaurantbusiness tripexcellent hotelswimming poolblue birdroom service ishome away from homefive star hotelbreakfast spreadenjoyed my staybusiness hoteldeluxe roombats
Reviewed April 23, 2007

Stayed here for 5 nights in April on business on the Horizon floor.
Hotel was clean, bathroom ammenties were very good (shampoo, conditioner, body cream etc), room large, friendly staff. On the horizon floor you also have free internet in the room, and a lounge to rest by. Cost was very good, and was in a very good location for me due to my office being next door. I never went out from the hotel aside from the office, so not sure if the location is central or not, but i know there were shopping centres close by.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JenM72
Reviewed August 19, 2006

I stayed for one night at the Shangri-La since there is a long weekend in Jakarta and having nothing to do, I decided to pamper myself and check-in to a good 5-star hotel to enjoy my weekend. I selected Shangri-La Jakarta.

I booked a Horizon Club Room and upon check-in at the reception, I was told to check-in at the club lounge. The attendant tried to get someone to escort me but since it was a long weekend, I suspect that they are understaff and he could not do so. So I went up myself. Check-in was speedily done and one of the manager at the lounge proposition to me to upgrade for a USD45/= extra charge to a Executive Suite which I accepted. I was given the key and a quick goodbye and thank you, again no one to carry my luggage and escort me to my room. Granted, I am a local and only carry a small hand luggage, I feel this is short of the treatment that I received from 5-star hotels in which usually the guest is personally escorted to the room. Well, maybe they are understaff.

The suite is nicely furnished with comfortable furniutes and amenities, a nice and spacious living room and bedroom and a large bathroom. However, it seems to fall a bit short of the luxury standard I have expected of a 5-star hotels especially compared to my recent stay at the Four seasons hotel in Hong Kong. The bedroom only consists of a normal 25" TV and the living room does comes with DVD player and a LCD TV, it is quite small and doesn't seem to fit the size of the living room. Other things to nick-pit, there is no rain-forest shower in the bathroom and the tub is too shallow though water pressure is more than adequate. Bed is comfortable, but pillows are a bit too soft. As for the view, I choose a "city view" as the other option is the pool view which tend to be noisy. There isn't much to look at, just a few buildings and mainly residential area. Internet is not included although it was included in my original Horizon room booking. There is extra cost of USD12++ for internet access. The speed is terribly slow, not broandband at all as what the hotel brochure claims. Strangely, the internet speed at the lounge area and restaurants are much better. Tried to call the "IT Butler" and was told he is not avaliable. Left a message to call me back but nobody call back.

I ordered room service and the staff wasn't able to speak good english and nearly ordered the wrong food. After some clarification, the correct food was brought up. The food is good. The staff which brought up my food ( his name is Zoel ) is particularly good in serving. Gym is well equipped. Lounge is nice though feel a bit crammed and lack of seating space especially during the evening. It serves the usual tea, coffee, guice and food is very typical. Nothing to shout about. Dinner at Nadaman, which the food quality is good but the portions are way too small and the price is exhorbitant by Jakarta standards. The real dissapointment is breakfast at Satoo restaurant which lacks variety and food is only so-so. Coffee taste diluted and my eggs are cooked way too oily. I recall I had better breakfast in the past from this restaurant and seems for this weekend, they are cutting corners on food quality. Take a quick look at the breakfast at the lounge which is serving the same food only less variety. Well, at least they have better coffee there.

Then during check-out which is at the lounge, I asked if I could take one of their toiletries holder from their bathroom which I really liked with me but my request was politely declined. Seems kind of stingy to me since it is only a small piece of plastic equipment to hold toiletries. No problem, I asked to buy it. The lady at the lounge tried to check the price for me but took more than 15 mins and I decided not to wait and leave. Lastly, I asked for frequent flyer miles program which Shangri-La is a participant and again informed that since my is a special weekend-rate, no miles will be credited.

Overall, my stay at the Shangri-La is only so-so, The service is not the usual over the top services I experienced at other Shangri-La. Most of the hotel staff will do what you request if within their guidelines but not do anything more than. Granted I paid a discounted weekend rate but that is no excuse for lesser treatment.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank BENLEE123
Reviewed June 10, 2006

I have no complains other than the reception of shangri-la. I enjoy the stay up to the level of settling up the bill, ensuring they have added the miles for the airline membership. The membership of the hotel (Golden Circle) is nothing compared with other five stars such as Hyatt or Starwoods. Upgrade of membership level is reached after staying in couple of shangri-la not based on number of stay and I still don't understand the spirit of the policy. In Singapore, the reputation of Shangri-la is down the hill with other hotels with impeccable services such as FourSeasons and both are offering almost the same rate but the value in Four Seasons are much better in terms of the location, personal attention etc.

It might be 3 years ago Shangri-la is on top of the list but I won't stay in Jakarta on my next visit for the price offered. Mostly the foreign staff could show the highest service of the hotel, but not with the local serving in the reception area.

Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank jssusi
Reviewed May 1, 2006

There are not words for how incredible this hotel is. Incredible beauty... incredible food... incredible service... I mean REALLY INCREDIBLE service!!!!! You won't be sorry... I absolutely promise!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2006

The Shangri-La Jakarta is one of the most incredible hotels I have ever stayed in. I travel approximately 50% of the time, and I do love FABULOUS hotels. I stayed in a Horizon Club room, and the room and bathroom are almost beyond words. They are stunningly beautiful! The service is extraordinary. Quite honestly, I don’t want to leave!! Thank you Shangri-La Jakarta!!!!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business