“One Of The Finest”

Ranked #12 of 461 Hotels in Jakarta
aus
“One Of The Finest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed here for four (4) nights in the One Bedroom Suite. Check-in was exemplary, moments after arriving at reception I was escorted to the 27th floor to check-in into my suite. I doubt the time from walking in to concluding check-in took any longer than a few minutes.

Room 2721 is a beautiful room, I saw no evidence of a room in need of a refresh / renovation, as reported other travelers in their rooms. I opted for this room because being a longish stay I felt I would appreciate the extra space, it turned about to be a good decision. Fittings, furniture all what I expect from my favorite hotel brand. I didn't, but one could comfortably entertain a party of 3-4 people in the living room. View of the mosque and pool was memorable. Because my stay began on a Friday or Saturday the rate was only US$345 (before 20% tax) making it very good buying indeed.

Horizon Club ticks most of the boxes for an Executive Lounge, tasty food with reasonable rotation and variety, attentive staff, a view, and plenty of available computers. However, I did roll my eyes when I saw you were charged to print from the computers. However, I do wish guests had the option to either use or the waitstaff or fix drinks themselves, I much prefer the latter but was forced to rely on the waiters. Also, I lost my iPhone charger so I relied on the one in the HC. While I appreciated that it was available, it would have been better if I was allowed to take it back to my room, rather than leaving my phone in the lounge (or alternatively I could stop losing things).

Breakfast in both HC and Satoo was enjoyable, strangely I preferred Satoo. It wasn't as chaotic as lobby breakfasts can be, and larger variety made it a delight.

I enjoyed the pool - warm, shade from the cabanas if need be and not crowded. It has a nice atmosphere swimming at night with all the various events / restaurants hiving with activity around it. Pool food was pedestrian, but serves me right for getting poolside food really. The remainder of public areas are what one expects from one of SE Asia's best hotels.

Concierge were excellent on numerous occasions - checking to see if a museum was open and tracking down some drugs I needed for an ear infection. For the drugs, they called the drugstore, made sure they had what I needed, wrote everything down for me and then walked me to a SilverBird. Very smooth.

I did have peek at BATS, yes it is more or less a brothel (I found the guest's walk of shame somewhat amusing) but because it happens so late, and in a corner of the hotel, it doesn't compromise the hotel's ambiance. If you are not looking for it, it won't worry you.

From a tourist's point-of-view, I felt the position wasn't as central to the key sights as say the Mandarin Oriental or Grand Hyatt, but the cheap / available taxis probably covered this problem, even if the traffic is horrendous.

Laundry was hideously expensive, but one is paying for the convenience. I would be impressed if some laundry benefit was included in Horizon Club access so I didn't feel like my eyes were being gauged out.

Blue/Silver Birds are constantly available, my longest wait would have been 5-10 minutes maximum.

I was annoyed at Check-Out though. The website states "with the option of a late check-out until 4pm on the day of departure". So being told to check-out at 12pm, when I had a 1940 flight was unimpressive. Why mislead on the website? If they mean out of the room at 12pm , with HC access until 4pm then say that. If they mean subject to availability, that is expected so don't imply it is the norm. Was a shame to end the trip that way, but not enough to dampen my high opinion of this establishment.

I implore you to stay at this hotel for your trips to "Big Durian".

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BrisbaneAust

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

When you book at a Shangri La, you expect nothing than the best. And often you get it, but not in Jakarta. Yes the lobby and public areas are great, service is generally excellent, Horizon Lounge is top with a wonderful breakfast, rooms are spacious and comfortable but ... Rooms and in-room equipment really need an update: worn-out furniture, stained carpet, old bathroom appliance, old kettle, cheap coffee and tea pouches in a scruffy box. And the Spa is a fraud: even when you have skilled staff and nice massage rooms, when a facial is nothing more than hot towels, honey scrub and raw cucumber slice mask, you wonder why you are in a "spa". That's what I did as a teen for sleep over! Minimal pedicure, I have better in any neighborhood nail bar in NY. Bad reception service too (why are 4 or 5 people so busy behind the desk while you wait to get their attention?). Massage was good though. I would recommend the spa manager go and visit spas from any luxury hotel in Bali to get the picture.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
SLJDMM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Sylvie S,

I appreciate the time that you have taken to share your experience regarding your stay with us. Your feedback is always important to us in improving our services here at Shangri-La Hotel, Jakarta. It is through valuable feedback such as yours that we are able to continuously improve our standards.

It is thoroughly appreciated that you found our overall products and services excellent during your recent stay, however, I do regret that our room and equipments did not meet your expectations. I also took notice of your feedback regarding our Spa service and have instantly addressed matter of your concern with our respective division managers for further improvements.

Please do let me know in case I can be of any assistance to you and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back at the Shangri-La Hotel, Jakarta in the near future. You can contact me via e-mail at juergen.doerr@shangri-la.com. Thank you.

singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Everything is of good quality and service is excellent. Business trip so no time to explore the hotel / the facilities / ambiance very much, but what I did use was very good. Have staid here a few times and will do so again

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

1 Thank Lost_at_sea7
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Public rooms are still great but updating of guest rooms, even as it now arrives, is late, far short of Shangri La spectacular and leaves unreliable a/c and ht water delivery systems in place. Staff is sincere but often don't understand business guests' expectations until third round of communication. I have to stay at this property when our MD s in town but given ther choices, MO and either Ritz, this is a distant 4th.

Dear Mr. barryhoff,

I am disappointed to hear about your less than perfect experience with us and I would like to assure you that instant measures have been taken to correct the shortcomings.

Please do let me know in case I can be of any assistance to you by contacting me via e-mail at juergen.doerr@shangri-la.com. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back at the Shangri-La Hotel, Jakarta in the near future.

Surabaya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Overall everything is fine, food is okay (a lot of choices from asian to western food), room is clean and huge(i had a balcony in my room), and so the bathroom. All well equipped.
Unfortunately Services at horizon lounge and restaurant satoo not reflect the service from the heart. No greetings from the employees to us (whether because we are citizens of Indonesia, so that employees are relatively more indifferent when compared with the treatment of employees to foreigners). Shangri la hotel class should not do such distinctions

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

SLJDMM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Mr. Andra_gogi,

First and foremost I would like to thank you very much for your patronage at the Shangri-La Hotel, Jakarta and for taking your precious time to share your feedback. It is through valuable feedback such as yours that we are able to continuously improve our standards.

I do regret that you found our service did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. I have addressed the matter of your concern with our respective managers and corrective actions have been taken to avoid the reoccurrence in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have not stayed at this Shangri La hotel for close to 10 years. So it was a strange "homecoming" to be back here. I spend 3 nights. The location is still the same but the traffic is just as bad like the rest of hotels in Jakarta. I was really taken aback by the friendly, warm and quick check-in process. Even though my old Golden Circle had long expired, the front desk signed me up for a new membership - nice touch. The next surprise was dining at the coffeehouse - Satoon. They had a buffet that was fantastic to turn down. I also had dinner at Rosso, Italian restaurtant. The food at both places was very good for this hungry traveller. The service there was also very attentive and friendly. The room was also very comfortable, clean and well-maintained for a hotel of this age. I also like their checking out process of walking the guest to the taxi stand and bidding good-byes. Another nice touch. Kudos to the management and staff for keeping this level of quality. I cannot wait for my next stay and clocked more nights here.

1 Thank Rover4aday
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I always have business trips to Jakarta and Shangri-La has become my favourite hotel after comparing a few other 5-star hotels. What people usually get disappointed with 5-star hotels is the consistency in service, food quality and maintenance. I think Shangri-La Jakarta has done a good job in these regards and delivered 100% what the brand name is known for. The distinctive " Shangri-La aroma" is such a lovely reminder that I am "home"!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business