“Business Traveler”

Ranked #17 of 465 Hotels in Jakarta
Houston, Texas
“Business Traveler”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Hotel is very nice and clean. The staff is excellent. I would rate them the best. They are all very polite, friendly, helpful and go out of their way to make it feel like home. The hotel amenities are great. Checking in and checking out is very easy. The staff make a concerted effort to make sure you are well taken care of. Managers go out of their way to assure the staff are doing their jobs. If something does come up, the staff are always their for you.

Room Tip: Pick the pool side. Much quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ricardo C
SLJDMM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Ricardo C,

Thank you for taking some of your precious time to write a favorable review. We are delighted to learn that our service has lived up to your expectation and that our staffs made sure you were in good care during your stay with us.

We do hope that your personalized and memorable experience will bring you back here in the near future.

Gerhard Hecker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Alabama, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My first experience with this chain of hotels was in Kuala Lumpur, where my wife and I were greatly impressed with the service. So we decided to once again use Shangri-La on our brief trip to Jakarta, and thankfully we were not disappointed. The service is excellent, the staff is very attentive and helpful, from the door man to room service. The convenience of having some decent restaurants and a pool in-house is also a major plus for tourists who are tired from a long day of travel. The breakfast buffet is always great (the chef was more than happy to show my wife how to make french toast). We even got complimentary chocolates on our first night! Thank you, Shangri-La, we will be back for sure.

Personal tip: Always choose the Club Horizon suites, they come with the free breakfast buffet, and the view up at their club floor is amazing.

Room Tip: Club Horizon suites are best.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Salah_Al-Abbadi
SLJDMM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Salah_Al-Abbadi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience regarding your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to read your comments and we are delighted that you enjoyed our Shangri-La hospitality and exceptional dining options. I will make sure to pass on your kind words to our staffs. We greatly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Melbourne
Reviewed June 23, 2013

First time in Jakarta and after luxurious stays in India and Vietnam, I'd say this was the less 'top notch' of my three stops on a recent business trip. Let's not be harsh though, it's a stunning facility with all you could need on a business trip and more.

The Good - spacious room, fast internet, sensational gym and spa facility, amazing buffet for breakfast with delightful global/local/healthy choices for a fitness fanatic and health junkie like me. I loved the attentive, kind service of the staff and drivers. Also, if you are arriving without a visa to Indonesia, be sure to use the hotel's express arrival package (it's good value, as a concierge greets you by the arrival bridge and escorts you through a fast track immigration and visa process. You are then taken to a limo and whisked off to the hotel).

The less than impressive - Rooms seem a bit dated by 5-star standards around the world; better than the cruddy rooms dished up in places like Australia though (where they charge double what I paid here). Front desk a bit too 'salesy' on check in - pushy to upgrade me to the club floor at cost and signed me up for a loyalty program DESPITE me stressing that I definitely did not want to be signed up to another damn hotel loyalty scheme. I was very annoyed to get a member pack sent to my address without requesting it!

The area outside the hotel is basically a very busy 4 lane road which (like most of the city) seems congested and noisy most of the time. It's pretty much impossible to walk outside the hotel due to heat and traffic and lack of pavement. The back streets near the hotel also felt less than hospitable too. Arrival at the hotel is a bit confronting with security staff sentry boxes, car bomb checks and searches, followed by a x-ray of your bags and metal detector station as you walk in to the hotel.

There's also a horrible expat bar at the hotel called BATS, which seems to attract a range of seedy people and prostitutes. Just felt a bit dodgy in the area outside the bar in the foyer on occasion.

I seemed to find time to enjoy a good gym and spa session here and then relaxed in the room and dining options in the hotel. I'm usually an adventurer that likes to explore my host city, but oddly found Jakarta a bit less user friendly than other places such as Malaysia, India and Vietnam - essentially, you are stuck unless you get taxis and even then you'll be sat in traffic for ages!

Hotel OK, treat it like a resort if you're here for 3 nights or so. It's fit for purpose and friendly enough.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Britpop73
SLJDMM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Britpop73,

We thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed our Shangri-La hospitality. Your feedback is always important to us in order to improve our services here at Shangri-La Jakarta.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed for the weekend on a short trip.

Nice hotel, comfortable and spacious rooms. Very nice breakfast buffet too (even though I did not enjoy the coffee).

Swimming pool nice too, a bit of an oasis in the city.

Minus:

1.check is was far too slow, the longest I had in a very long time.
2. Children friendly is one thing, but please do not allow children to use their skateboards in the lobby annoying people waiting for their drivers...

1 Thank dubai_UAE_traveller
Dear dubai_UAE_traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay. I am disappointed to hear about your less than perfect experience with us and I would like to assure you that instant measures have been taken to correct the shortcomings. We greatly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

asia
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have been associated with this hotel since the first day it opened. I would not consider staying at any other hotel in Jakarta. I travel regularly throughout the Asia Pacific region; and to other locations across the globe. For me, a mark of excellence is the ability to retain staff; this hotel does that well. I have never arrived at this hotel feeling like a stranger. Even if the staff are new and never met me, they have done their homework in advance; and greet me as if I was a long lost family member. The Shang community and environment really is a family-like setting. Safe, secure, and comfortable. What more can you ask from a home away from home? If you get the opportunity to stay on a Horizon Club Floor, you literally will not want to leave.

Room Tip: Horizon Club Floor
1 Thank dmangoman
SLJDMM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear dmangoman,

It was a pleasure to read your comments regarding your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed our Shangri-La hospitality. Your feedback is always important to us in order to improve our services here at Shangri-La Jakarta.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Jakarta in the near future.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I've stayed for extended 30 day trips and a couple of 1 week stops. Every experience, every day was among the best I've had at a hotel. Very attentive and professional staff. The visit starts with a warm welcome at the door as you enter a beautiful lobby. Check-in staff, housekeeping, restaurant personnel, pool side, you name the department they all excell in customer delight. Very good restaurants and even the chefs are happy to visit with you. Starting another long stay in the next few days and looking forward to it.

Room Tip: Staying in a pool side room will have a beautiful view at night of the neighboring mosque. Every mo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank James C
SLJDMM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear James C,

It was a pleasure to read your comments regarding your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed our Shangri-La hospitality and exceptional dining options. Your feedback is always important to us in order to improve our services here at Shangri-La Jakarta.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Jakarta in the near future.

New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I arrived in this hotel, and had a good time but what came after was really horrible. At the time of check in they blocked my card with a huge amount. Then when the hotel was assured of my payment being made by my boss, they wrote a mail to release my blocked amount. It is the 18th of June, I check out on the 13th of June and till date my card remains blocked. I called the hotel so many times, every time they say, they are on it but till date nothing has happened, I now have to wait for the natural process of cancellation which is 21 days. I am travelling with a blocked amount. Please all be careful, they block your card with huge amounts and the release procedure for the same is time consuming. and the hotel does nothing to speed it up, they just send mails to their banks. Not helpful at all.

6 Thank Nairrit
SLJDMM, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Nairrit,

We truly appreciate the time that you have taken to share your experience regarding your stay with us. Your feedback is always important to us in improving our services here at Shangri-La Hotel, Jakarta. I do regret that you had experience a problem with your credit card and I would like to assure you that instant measures have been taken to correct the problem with the banks involved.

Regards,