“Incrediblely excellent!”

Ranked #17 of 463 Hotels in Jakarta
Singapore, Singapore
“Incrediblely excellent!”
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is truly 5 star. I would give it 10 if there is one. Rooms and spacious, nice and clean. All staff friendly and helpful. In my last checkout, I left a valuable item in the room. I called the hotel the next day and was relieved to found out that the item was held at by the hotel. Totally incredible!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank MrGoh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Back here after 2 years. The room is in need of refurbishment. Ceilings are moldy and stained. Shower head is clogged with lime. Housekeeping also needs to do a better job. There were cobwebs in corner of room.

While having cocktail in the horizon club, I saw a cockcroach running across the buffet table.

I think I will be using Mulia hotel the next time I visit Jakarta.

Room Tip: Ask for a clean room if possible....
3 Thank Lance-Travellot
MVA2010, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear Lance-Travellot,

Thank you for your review of our property. We too are disappointed to hear about your recent stay with us and your feedback has been noted. Please contact me at patricia.muljadi@shangri-la.com so I can address this issue with you directly.

Warm regards,
Patricia Muljadi
Director of Communications
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed October 3, 2012

the shangri-la has indeed surprised me in every way possible at every aspect of the hospitality discipline. i intentionally chose to write a review of this hotel after my second trip here (the first was a few weeks before) just to see if they could maintain the same high level of service & hospitality. and boy was i not disappointed!

from the very moment i entered the hotel lobby and greeted by the check-in staff upon arrival, you just knew that this is a special hotel; a hotel that places your comfort & needs first and foremost.

the room that we stayed in was not only well appointed, but plush with tasteful decor and facilities. as a matter of fact, upon exiting the lift on the 31st floor (the highest floor of the hotel), the thick plush carpets & rich timber panelling showcased the level of luxurious accommodation that awaits. right from the the la occitane toiletries (we had bvlgari the last time) to the generous fruit bouquet one will be forgiven if the menial task of leaving the room for breakfast seemed like a laborious thing to do.

breakfast at the horizon club on the 23rd floor is by far the best laid-out in most business club floor within the region. try the scrambled or fried egg and you'll know exactly what i mean. as a matter of fact, when told that i'm staying in the shangri-la for this trip, it is pretty much acknowledged by the locals that the shangri-la has made quite a name for itself for f&b excellence in the city. the hotel boasts 3 other eateries that offer chinese, japanese & western cuisines. i only wished i had more time (and opportunity!) to try them all during this trip.

seeing as how pleased i am to be here & how well i was treated, i suspect a return visit is forthcoming.

other facilities includes; gym, spa, tennis courts (hitting partner/s can be arranged if you don't fancy playing alone) & swimming pool.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Staying there for a week on business trip. I would say this is one of best hotel in Jakarta. The gym and the pool are great. Great facility and clean.. Incredible various of food serve at the breakfast. The service is World class.
Away from busy area which was nice just want to relax after long day at work.
Definitely Will put as one of my favorite hotel list...

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
singapore
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Recently stayed in Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta (Sept 2012) with the highest expectation. The check-in process is a breeze and wonderful, we are placed in a non-smoking floor just like we prefer(but some people seems to still smoke there), which is on the 8th floor. The room in terms of space is very good and wide, bath tub (extra length) and showers, bidet is provided too. 3 bath towels and amenities plus toiletries. A plate of fruits are given with 2 bottles of mineral water. An hour later we have to go and come back at night. The hotel provide free car park for 1.

The next day we went around 10 and get back around 4 PM and found our room uncleaned, so we call the cleaning services to do so, around 40 minutes later they clean my room well, but the toiletries are poorly stocked. My advice is to bring your own since the quality of the toiletries also average, but for this luxury 5 stars, it is below the standard.

Then we try the swimming pool, unfortunately there's some renovation and some parts are not closed so we have to bears the looks from the workers. Imagine yourself in a swimming suits being stares. And I know there's a wedding, but I really dislike the cameramen smoking around the pools while there's nothing the staff can do to give the rest of the non-smokers a fresh air. The spa is equipped with jacuzzi/whirlpool, cold bath, sauna and steam room. The sauna and steam room is okay, but the steam room only provided a bucket without the spoon to pour some water to the hot stones. The hot bath in the jacuzzi is way too hot, and the cold bath is way too cold. I've been to many onsens in Japan, they are not as boiling as this is.

Same thing just like in the room, poorly equipped as well. We have to repeatedly asking for towels for the staffs to provide. Toiletries? Good luck finding a complete set. The plumbing also need to be fixed, since there's a bad stench coming from the toilets (just like in our room). On contrary the fitness center is excellent, each of the treadmill have a screen with TV, make sure you bring your own earphone. So you see, the facilities is great but there's always something missing and not there, they provide the room and the big stuff, yet didn't pay attention to details. There are waters provided in the gym, but in the spa, there are glasses, but they didn't have the water....??? Dunno why.

Every weekend there's a kid's activity, so if you bring kids along, they and you will love this. Almost every hour until around 6 PM there's always something going on, from swimming classes, clowns, making crafts, etc.

At night we sleeps soundless, there are some renovation but it didn't gives us any noise or nuisance, but I can still hear the next door guests having some conversation at night.
The pillows are wonderful and so does the beds. There are some stains at the blankets, ehm we refuse to think what is that?! So we just avoid those areas. And a staff came by around 8.30 for gave us fruits, and at 10 PM to help us prepare our beds . . . I found it a bit weird.

Oh yes, I didn't meet any of female staffs on the cleaning service dept, all males, is it just a coincidence?

On weekends they also provide shuttle bus to Grand Indonesia and Plaza Indonesia, but I have my ride so I didn't try them.

The breakfast? It's top notch, I think the food are the highlight of my stay here (2 nights and 3 days) Wide variety range of food from Japanese, Chinese, Traditional Indonesian including jamu, Indian, Western and so on. Must try: The Belgian Waffle, Vegetable Juices, and Japanese fried rice, yums!

The check-out also fast, so I wont make any complain to the front desk staffs.

Overall, the hotel is a quite okay, but from the stars (and price) I definitely expect more. Who will enjoy a stay here? KIDS!!!

Room Tip: High floor, non-smoking floor, any kind of bed according to your needs.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
MVA2010, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear carnellin,

Warm regards,
Patricia Muljadi
Director of Communications
USA
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Jakarta at best is straggeling to make a real name for its self in the world economic platform, The joke amoung business executives that we be repeating the phrase "someday" for the next 20 or 30 years. Everyone owning a new car (maed in Indonesia) does not advance or build a middle class) it just creates total grid lock.....welcome to Indonesia. The hotel staff is excellent, they are just very, very, very, slooooooooow on every level.A new wrinkle that you need to be aware of is that when you "attemp" to change currency to the Ruppe, your currency must be in perfect shape and printed within the last few years. Today I was being asked by the hotel to discount the rate by 15% as my US dollar was printed in 2001. Who in their right mind pays attention to this. I travel the world, work in Shanghai, and never have had this issue. It took 5 hours to check into a non tatered room. It took one hour to deliver a converter plug and three reminders. Room service did not answer the phone to accept an order THREE times last night. Really RUN TO THE RITZ

Room Tip: IF YOU MUST STAY...INSIST ON A NOT ONLY A HORIZON FLOOR ROOM BUT A SUITE> Insist as thee other n...
2 Thank DRuben1330
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I've stayed at the Jakarta Shangri-La twice and will continue to do so. The service is outstanding with everyone always looking to help. They go above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable and happy with your experience.