$185
  • Breakfast included
$169
Agoda.com
1,678 results
All reviewshorizon clubsatoo restauranthorizon floorlobby loungebuffet restaurantbusiness tripexcellent hotelswimming poolblue birdroom service ishome away from homefive star hotelenjoyed my staybusiness hoteldeluxe roombatsrosso
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Aside the intense security gates, scanners and consistent checks at the main entrance (which i believe is comforting knowing that you are staying at a fortress), i must say the added touch of adding a pleasant Guest Relations Officer lightened at the entry point reduced the initial scare of my maiden trip to Jakarta. However, the rest of my journey was flooded with smiles and welcome! The check in process was exceptionally smooth and the Chef Concierge, Mr Ibnu came out from his desk with a smile and welcome all of us. Something i never experienced at other reputable hotels.
I received by room keys and was well on my way to the room. The rooms were pretty standard with the other Shang properties i stayed before at, however, what differentiates this property to the rest are the smiles and greetings i received all the way to the room. Even the housekeeping attendant who had a cart opposite my room welcomed me. Kudos!! Everything else that followed was fantastic, from in room dining to BATS where Paul and a very energetic hostess (cant remember her, im sorry) went out of the way to make my event that night at BATS a successful one. The breakfast line in the morning was confusing (in a good way) as i didnt know where to start and end my morning breakfast. During my departure, the front desk prepared an ititemised invoice which was accurate with the necessary supporting documents. Well done! The concierge was again kind enough to arrange the luxury van for our departure as well. All in all, i enjoyed my entire stay and look forward to my future stay>

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2011

After a short flight from Singapore, we got picked up from a car arranged by the concierge for our one night stay. The driver was great and upon arrival of the hotel you are greated with warm, genuine smiles from the beautiful ladies in the beautiful lobby, they allwoed us to check in before check in which was a nice gesture. Check in was easy and painless unlike some other hotels in Asia. The pool is massive and allows you to have privacy, we ate dinner at the bar downstairs and the ribs slide right off the bone. We stayed in the hotel the entire time, and it allowed us to relax, room service for breakfast is a good choice for a lazy morning. All in all a great simple relaxing time! - George

Room Tip: Pool Views are nice.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I have been staying at the Shang in Jakarta many times recently. Every time it is great, only thing I hope for is more fresh waffles in the morning. Otherwise everything has been great, food, service, etc.... will continue to be a regular customer.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Very nice hotel, good and central, great food options (the Japanese restaurant is great!). Don't get stuck at BATS...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2011

If, like me, you used to stay here in the old days, then the good news is that things haven't changed at all. The bad news is also that things haven't changed at all. And I mean, at all. Each stick of furniture is still in the same place it was when you were last here in 1998. One wonders when they are going to try to renovate anything.

The unfortunate thing though, is that although the property hasn't changed at all, the staff seem to have lost the plot. The first TWO rooms they tried to give us weren't usable for a variety of strange reasons - one bed for example only had 3 legs (!). So, from original check in-till we got our actual room took about 2 hours; repacking and moving twice.

The breakfast in the executive lounge is nice but the staff are completely asleep. I had to ask 3 people to get a cup of coffee, each morning. The buffet is straightforward, but the food ordered from the menu takes ages, and requires another 2 or 3 reminders to staff.

Equally curious was that the spa staff shorted us both on time for massages. Everyone is familiar with the deal in places like Indo, Thai, etc,. where they advertise 60 mins, but give you 50, or 45, etc.. However, I was really surprised to see Shangri-La staff do this. Considering the hotel price is about 5X the street, you would assume they would be both professional and aboveboard. The shady 15-min cheat was certainly strange.

None of the above are deal-breakers, but for a US$300+ hotel room and someplace as stuffed shirt as Shangri-La, you would expect more. Recently, I have been staying down at newer places in Kuningan like the Ritz or Marriott, and they certainly provide much better value for money, with newer properties. I will go back there next time.

Last comment - BATS is not what it used to be. Disappointingly so, but it seems even that stalwart of 90's Jakarta has now gone. Time, overall, to look elsewhere I think.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business