“Loved it.”

Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta
Ranked #16 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed October 22, 2007

Let me start by saying that the Shang Jakarta has one of the best breakfast buffet spreads I've seen in any hotel I've stayed in. Bar none.

Beautiful rooms and tastefuly decorated rooms in an Old World style. Room amenities (bathrobe, slippers, complimentary mineral water, etc.) are as you would have a right to expect from a Shangri-La Hotel. No dissapointment there.

My only dissapointment? Location. In that respect, I can only envy people who've stayed at the Grand Hyatt Jakarta, with their easy access to Plaza Indonesia and that gigantic new mall being built right accross the road.

But other than that little quib, no other downers at all.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta

Reviewed September 16, 2007

Although this Shangri La doesn't have one of the famous Shang CHI spas, the Jakarta hotel's spa is more than adequate. And I'm speaking from experience! The hotel also offers a freeform pool in a lush, tropical environment. There are also a variety of high-end, creative restaurants. However, be forewarned, there is very little--by way of walking distance--to the hotel, which is typical of most downtown hotels. At the same price point, consider staying at the Hyatt, which is attached to a nice mall, the Plaza Indonesia.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2007

My first stay was in July and I returned in August. During the first occasion I was already impressed especially with the number of staff and the service par excellence. Strict security before entry ensuring it's a safe oasis, perky greetings from almost every staff.

Usually the proof in the pudding is the second stay. I must say I really felt welcomed because I was actually greeted by my name when i alighted from the car and ushered to the reception. I knew how they did it but what mattered most was they did it with finess.

Good things: great spread at the buffet for breakfast and dinner. I just got tired of them after a few sessions. The bed is most comfortable, they gym, the pool.

The bad: not that i could think of apart from the exorbitant price for in room internet access.

I've been to the Shangri-La Kuala Lumpur and they have so much to learn from this hotel but I've also heard that Shangri-La Makati also offer such service par-excellence.

I am not sure if this is the best hotel compared with the other big names, but it's certainly perfect for now.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank 74salt
Reviewed July 26, 2007

When I first went to Jakarta I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental because I was told it was the best place to stay in Jakarta. That was wrong. The mandirn was run down and a 3 star hotel at its best. When I came back from Bali I stayed here at the Shangla La and knew I was in someplace very special. It is a true 4 star plus hotel with many 5 star features.
As for location, there is really no central area of Jakarta where is all happening. This hotel is as central as you can get but you really cant walk anywhere from there. But cabs are plentiful and notoriously cheap. You can go anywhere for $2.
The lobby of the hotel, the pool, and the staff are all outstanding. Everything about them was great with not a single disappointment. But the one feature of the hotel which was nothing less then a mind-blowing outstanding was its buffets-especially for dinner. These buffets were more than 5 stars and as good or better than any others I have every seen. Not just in variety but most importantly in quality. There were buckets of shrimp that were 20 cm long, raw oysters the size of saucers, deserts which included several flavors of homemade ice-cream which could then be mixed with different ingredients alla Cold Stone style. There were different stations for different types of foods: sushi, Indonesian, Chinese, duck, Indian, barbeque, and on and on and on. Everything was top end. The Ritz Carleton Sunday Brunch in Newport Beach California was not as good. As a food lover, this dinner scene at the Shangri la will probably be my most favorable memory of Jakarta which is not a particularly scenic place. The price of the dinner was about $20 US and breakfast which was equally as good was included in my room.
There is a very popular disco in the basement of the hotel which has a reputation of being the hottest in town. It was very crowded with much local talent. The band was outstanding and from Chicago. But the aspect which killed it for me was the smoking. In Jakarta women think of cigarettes as “glamour sticks” and literally light up on after the other. I sat there and watched young ladies with a cell phone in one hand and cigarettes in the other strike glamour poses with these two prop. When you talked to one of them they had to turn away every few seconds to blow the smoke someplace other than your face. I did not find a single lady who did not have a cigarette in here hand there. So that put the place off limits for me.
Bottom line is that I would stay at this hotel again in heartbeat and would recommend it to anyone going there

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank Taniquan
Reviewed April 23, 2007

Stayed here for 5 nights in April on business on the Horizon floor.
Hotel was clean, bathroom ammenties were very good (shampoo, conditioner, body cream etc), room large, friendly staff. On the horizon floor you also have free internet in the room, and a lounge to rest by. Cost was very good, and was in a very good location for me due to my office being next door. I never went out from the hotel aside from the office, so not sure if the location is central or not, but i know there were shopping centres close by.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank JenM72
Reviewed August 19, 2006

I stayed for one night at the Shangri-La since there is a long weekend in Jakarta and having nothing to do, I decided to pamper myself and check-in to a good 5-star hotel to enjoy my weekend. I selected Shangri-La Jakarta.

I booked a Horizon Club Room and upon check-in at the reception, I was told to check-in at the club lounge. The attendant tried to get someone to escort me but since it was a long weekend, I suspect that they are understaff and he could not do so. So I went up myself. Check-in was speedily done and one of the manager at the lounge proposition to me to upgrade for a USD45/= extra charge to a Executive Suite which I accepted. I was given the key and a quick goodbye and thank you, again no one to carry my luggage and escort me to my room. Granted, I am a local and only carry a small hand luggage, I feel this is short of the treatment that I received from 5-star hotels in which usually the guest is personally escorted to the room. Well, maybe they are understaff.

The suite is nicely furnished with comfortable furniutes and amenities, a nice and spacious living room and bedroom and a large bathroom. However, it seems to fall a bit short of the luxury standard I have expected of a 5-star hotels especially compared to my recent stay at the Four seasons hotel in Hong Kong. The bedroom only consists of a normal 25" TV and the living room does comes with DVD player and a LCD TV, it is quite small and doesn't seem to fit the size of the living room. Other things to nick-pit, there is no rain-forest shower in the bathroom and the tub is too shallow though water pressure is more than adequate. Bed is comfortable, but pillows are a bit too soft. As for the view, I choose a "city view" as the other option is the pool view which tend to be noisy. There isn't much to look at, just a few buildings and mainly residential area. Internet is not included although it was included in my original Horizon room booking. There is extra cost of USD12++ for internet access. The speed is terribly slow, not broandband at all as what the hotel brochure claims. Strangely, the internet speed at the lounge area and restaurants are much better. Tried to call the "IT Butler" and was told he is not avaliable. Left a message to call me back but nobody call back.

I ordered room service and the staff wasn't able to speak good english and nearly ordered the wrong food. After some clarification, the correct food was brought up. The food is good. The staff which brought up my food ( his name is Zoel ) is particularly good in serving. Gym is well equipped. Lounge is nice though feel a bit crammed and lack of seating space especially during the evening. It serves the usual tea, coffee, guice and food is very typical. Nothing to shout about. Dinner at Nadaman, which the food quality is good but the portions are way too small and the price is exhorbitant by Jakarta standards. The real dissapointment is breakfast at Satoo restaurant which lacks variety and food is only so-so. Coffee taste diluted and my eggs are cooked way too oily. I recall I had better breakfast in the past from this restaurant and seems for this weekend, they are cutting corners on food quality. Take a quick look at the breakfast at the lounge which is serving the same food only less variety. Well, at least they have better coffee there.

Then during check-out which is at the lounge, I asked if I could take one of their toiletries holder from their bathroom which I really liked with me but my request was politely declined. Seems kind of stingy to me since it is only a small piece of plastic equipment to hold toiletries. No problem, I asked to buy it. The lady at the lounge tried to check the price for me but took more than 15 mins and I decided not to wait and leave. Lastly, I asked for frequent flyer miles program which Shangri-La is a participant and again informed that since my is a special weekend-rate, no miles will be credited.

Overall, my stay at the Shangri-La is only so-so, The service is not the usual over the top services I experienced at other Shangri-La. Most of the hotel staff will do what you request if within their guidelines but not do anything more than. Granted I paid a discounted weekend rate but that is no excuse for lesser treatment.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
5  Thank BENLEE123
Reviewed June 10, 2006

I have no complains other than the reception of shangri-la. I enjoy the stay up to the level of settling up the bill, ensuring they have added the miles for the airline membership. The membership of the hotel (Golden Circle) is nothing compared with other five stars such as Hyatt or Starwoods. Upgrade of membership level is reached after staying in couple of shangri-la not based on number of stay and I still don't understand the spirit of the policy. In Singapore, the reputation of Shangri-la is down the hill with other hotels with impeccable services such as FourSeasons and both are offering almost the same rate but the value in Four Seasons are much better in terms of the location, personal attention etc.

It might be 3 years ago Shangri-la is on top of the list but I won't stay in Jakarta on my next visit for the price offered. Mostly the foreign staff could show the highest service of the hotel, but not with the local serving in the reception area.

Stayed: March 2006