“Quiet international quality hotel with strong Indonesian flavour.”

The Dharmawangsa Jakarta
Ranked #12 of 456 Hotels in Jakarta
“Quiet international quality hotel with strong Indonesian flavour.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here many times on business and it is consistently good. The rooms are spacious and quiet. In fact the hotel is quiet - which I like but I know some colleagues who like a more traditional international hotel that makes you feel you could be anywhere. The Dharma also has a strong local feel. Food is good, gym is good with an indoor and outdoor pool.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
PJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

I used to look forward to going to the Dharmawangsa in Jakarta - an oasis par excellence. Alas. I now strike it off my list. In a recent visit the 'oasis' had turned into a noisy day and night meeting area of people, most of whom ere not even saying at the hotel. Every day, everywhere in the hotel, any time, I had to weave my way through many people of different backgrounds to get through the hotel. Was the hotel full? Yes, but it was full largely because there was a massive wedding held there through 2 days. I remember my experiences in the past where I had rooms overlooking the tops of the wedding tents but after protests my room was changed. This time it was not so much the room but the crowded environment. And worse was to follow - the pool was closed to the regular guests on one day after 4 pm. And on my last day, a Sunday to boot, breakfast was held in the adjacent building in a colourless hall. Yes the food was about the same but it was not the same at all. It reminded me of canteens or of mass meals where you have tables covered with white tablecloths that reminded you of used bed sheets! No atmosphere no ambience and certainly not of Dharmawangsa standards.

On the Saturday night we were awoken by screeching from the microphone being tested, not once but several times. And the chatter of the workers! At the pool we had to contend with workers as we tried to get a leisurely swim in. Not easy with their chatter and certainly off putting with outside eyes looking curiously at you as you tried to sun-bathe and swim.

As I mentioned to the staff, they should not have taken room reservations for others if they knew they had to cater for this massive VIP wedding. But they were just so proud of the fact that the guest list over 2 days totalled more than 2000 people they were indifferent to my comments. Or, they missed the point. And I guess money talks after all. How rich they must have become over the 2 days with thousands of guests. My point was it was not fair to paying guests who were in the hotel on a holiday or on business.

As I saw it, the Dharmawangsa is now a firmly established venue for weddings on a huge scale and tents will be set up ever so often to cater for the crowds. So goodbye Dharmawangsa - go ahead with your preferred activity of becoming a wedding hotel!! I am sure I can find other venues for a quiet oases that you used to be.

Room Tip: If you have to go, do insist that your room has a clear view and not a view of the tops of tents whi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Habibah M
Puerto Cayo, Ecuador
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is amazing. The room is spectacular and close to the business location. A bit removed from shopping and outside food establishments. There is a tub and separate shower with his and her sinks. The staff go over and above to make sure the guests are comfortable. The breakfast buffet is a splendid mix of fresh fruits and almost anything else one could ask for in a breakfast. The spa provides excellent massages, mani, pedi, and western style waxes. The gym and indoor and outdoor pools provide a nice place to workout and relax. The tea bar, coffee bar, library, and cocktail bar are all five star. The chocolate Martinis are absolutely out of this world - one of a kind. The Internet is additional charge and the business center charges extra for everything including scanning documents onto ones thumb drive. This seems a bit pricey considering it cost the hotel nothing to scan, but the service is good. There is a 21% up charge on everything. Traffic is a mess, so plan accordingly. Overall, the hotel is a great place to stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I was upgraded to a suite upon check-in. That went very well, for a start. The room was nicely decorated without being excessive. And the staff was pleasant too. Food at the restaurant was very good - expensive for what it was, but good none the less.

Thought the staff were very nice, they did not give me sense of warmth. I stayed for 3 nights, spent all day in conference rooms and having all my meals at the hotel - not once was I addressed by my name. I found that severely lacking for a hotel of this standard, especially for a guest in suite. I moved to the Gran Melia after that, and they were far better at treating guests. I was addressed by name everywhere I went in the hotel. And I like that.

Location is pleasant if a little inconvenient. Traffic in the morning is dreadful.

The Dharmawangsa is a nice experience, but it's not special enough. As there are several very good hotels in the city, I don't see why I'd come back to The Dharmawangsa.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Drift-Master
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

From the bell boys to the Executive Chef, and from the housekeepers to the butlers - they all look effortlessly and naturally happy to be working in this hotel. They genuinely welcome you to The Dharmawangsa as their own home, thus making you feel immediately home, too. It's a rarity to find this level of sincere service in Jakarta - I must say rather sadly. Apart from the exquisite layout, authentic Indonesian details, serene spa, beautiful swimming pool and garden, elegant bar and library, classy ballroom, fine restaurants, delicious "Nasi Liwet" in Jakarta Restaurant, and the famous Chocolate Martini, I believe that The Dharmawangsa's strongest forte in the top notch service. After so many years, and so many new hotels popping up in Jakarta, I have to say that this one is still my number one favorite.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed here last year on a business trip and was completely floored. The hotel itself was absolutely beautiful - lush landscaping, marble floors...it was extremely nice. I believe I was booked in the executive suite. Very large, spacious room/bathroom, complete with a desk for my work. The butler was a little strange to me, since I am not used to that, but he was very helpful and it was a wonderful addition to an already great stay. The food was delicious and the breakfast is incredible. So many options!!

The only downside that I heard from my colleagues is that this hotel is a bit far away from the city. If you're looking for a place that offers night life nearby, this is not a good option. It was secluded and quiet, which was lovely, but if you're looking for something a bit more exciting, I would skip over this place and head to the Mulia.

With that said, I had a wonderful time. I really cannot say enough great things about this hotel. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have been staying at the Dharmawangsa Hotel since 1998 and I noticed that during my last visit the rooms are getting old. We also got brown water coming out from the bathtube tap. I think it is time for this hotel to undergo a renovation. The hotel also should install wifi in the common areas. The restaurant doesnt have any wifi coverage.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business