“In need of a makeover”

Le Meridien Jakarta
Ranked #33 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Let's start with the positives - I booked into a deluxe room and really liked the room. It was spacious, had a sofa, good work desk and all the normal things you'd expect. It seemed light and bright. The bathroom was good too, although I'm not so sure about the bath, ie one that had a ledge for sitting. At least there was a separate shower cubicle though so I could ignore the bath.
The wifi connection was good too. Speed was fine but what I especially liked was the fact that I didn't have to renew the login every time I wanted to connect to the outside world. A small thing, but in so many hotels I've been in recently I've had to faff about to re-establish a connection after half an hour's absence.

For the coffee addicts, there is a small Illy branch on the ground floor selling all sorts of chocolates and cakes.

I made use of the spa and the gym. I really liked the gym. Plenty of cardio options - several treadmills, a few cross trainers, 3 recumbent bikes, at least one rowing machine. I don't use resistance machines but it looked like there were plenty to choose from. I do however use swiss balls, mats, free weights, etc and found there was a good range of weights, even at the lower end, to choose from. The ambience of the gym was good too. I can't put my finger on it, but as hotel gyms go, this one was good.
The spa area was everything I wanted as well, opting for a body scrub and massage combination. Very relaxing and the therapist may have been petite but she was able to give quite a strong massage.

The hotel is located on the main road leading up to the Freedom Fountain (and its surrounding shopping malls) and Monas, both of which are a short, very cheap taxi ride away. You could walk, but it is quite a walk and it will most likely be hot. It is also a short taxi ride to the Convention Centre which is a hub for sporting activities of all sort on the weekends. Actually, worth pointing out, the road in front of the hotel is closed on Sundays from 5-8am for runners, cyclists, skaters, etc enjoy themselves.

The ground floor area good do with a makeover. It hasn't met with the modernising touch so many of the Le Meridien branded hotels have had recently. Hopefully it is getting near to the top of the list!

I had two bad experiences in this hotel. I asked the concierge a question and was left hanging about for 15 minutes while they disappeared. I eventually decided not to wait for an answer as I wasn't sure whether they were seeking one or had just decided to ignore it.
The 2nd one is one of those things where I am not sure whether to criticise the hotel or the guest. I was sitting outside in the garden area, chilling when another guest came along and decided to smoke a cigar. As I don't like cigar smoke I moved to sit by the pool. Unfortunately as the area is fairly enclosed and the air is heavy, it wasn't long before the smoke permeated the entire area and I had to leave.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
isrin_virgasari, Manager at Le Meridien Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Skatexplorer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It’s always great to hear that you enjoyed our service and facilities during your stay with us. We shared it to our staff who are very happy to hear about your excellent stay. This has given our associates a boost of renewed energy on learning that their efforts to make our guests comfortable and satisfied. Also thank you for bringing to our attention and allowing us to learn from your experience related with the issue with our concierge team and smoking area. Your comments will give us an opportunity to review our processes to ensure we don't inconvenience our guest in the future. Also I am glad to inform you that gradually over the next 2 years we will be redesigning and renovating our older rooms. We hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back to Le Meridien Jakarta.

There are newer reviews for Le Meridien Jakarta

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I normally see Meridien as a safe choice when travelling in places I don't really know. I must say this time I have been rather disappointed. The staff I must say is really nice and helpful. But the hotel itself is clearly below expectations. Rooms are so so. Decoration is close to no decoration at all. Bathroom was clean except for some stains in the bathroom - and you don't want to know their origin... One night i had room service and the next morning the tray was still outside...so so clearly. I don't know much of Jakarta but the view from the room was clearly terrible and the room was extremelly noisy... well... not my best Meridien experience

Dear emfal,

Thank you for your input and concern, we apologize for the unpleasant experience during your stay with us. Thank you for bringing to our attention the issue with hotel facilities which not meet your expectation and allowing us to learn from your experience. Your comments will give us an opportunity to review our processes to ensure we don't inconvenience our guest in the future. We hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back to Le Meridien Jakarta.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have stayed twice at Le Meridien in Jakarta, both times on business. I travel a lot for work and don't often stay in a hotel (for work at least) that I genuinely like coming back to.

The staff are excellent; genuinely friendly; attentive and helpful. The service is really first class.The food, gym and facilities are great. My room has always been comfy, clean and in great condition. The breakfast is great and it helps get out of bed early (to beat Jakarta's terrible traffic!) when there is such a great selection of fresh fruit, drinks and food.

I've read some of the other reviews on Tripadvisor, and I am sure there are more 'on trend' places to stay, but for my money (or that of my company) I'd rather stay in a happy, properly functioning hotel with really great food, service and facilities than somewhere more concerned with the latest trend in cosmetics. For the price its really a great place to stay.

Actions speak louder than worlds and this week I had a minor problem with something at breakfast. I explained to the waiter who quickly brought the manager who apologised. I forgot the incident but that evening there was a polite note in my room apologising and some chocolates from the Food and Beverage Manager. This small gesture just reinforces my view that the staff care about their guests and that this is a well run and friendly place to base yourself in Jakarta. Mr Krickelberg of the Food and Beverage team and all at the hotel, well done and thanks!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
isrin_virgasari, Manager at Le Meridien Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear OliverGM,

May we extend our grateful to you for your kind words about Le Meridien Jakarta. It is an honored to be able to give our best service and distinctive experience to you while you were staying with us. I have conveyed your comments to all of our associates who is very proud of their service delivery especially to Krickelberg and team.

Once again on behalf of the hotel management, let me take the opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience stay, we would be delighted to welcome you back at our resort in nearest future.
Le Meridien Jakarta is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Good location, good service, good value. But the rooms are in need of a facelift.. Walls of room are dull and dreary and carpet is worn. Food very good. Disappointed to find the ash tray in the non smoking room though.................................................................

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Nick K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay Le Meridien Jakarta
We really appreciate your positive comments about good location, good service and very good food. We also would like to say thank you for bringing to our attention the issue related non smoking room and allowing us to learn from your experience. I already discuss with department concern and will be follow up.

We are constantly reviewing our services and facilities which assists us in improving our operations. We look forward to welcoming you back to Le Meridien Jakarta.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here for a week on business. The staff were great and the dining options and food were really fantastic, breakfast included, however the rooms were a real let down. Quite dirty and run down. Make sure you get yourself onto a non smoking floor, the smoking floors were horrible.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Dear sbspeedo1,

We would like to thank you for your great feedback of your recent stay at Le Meridien Jakarta. We are proud having you as our loyal guest and your feedbacks are greatly valued. It is an honored to be able to give our best service and distinctive experience to you while you were staying with us. Thank you for bringing to our attention the issue with room condition and please to inform you that starting this year until the next 2 years we will gradually redesigning and renovating our older rooms.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to Le Meridien Jakarta on near future.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Not one of the best Le Meridien's I've stayed at. The rooms are quite small and definately in need of an update. Mattress felt old/used. Starwood may not be investing given the arrival in the next few years of a St. Regis, Westin & W, but the location of Le Meridien is excellent so definately deserves a face lift. Common areas are extensive with good gym and a great Lebanese restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear m2010x,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Le Meridien Jakarta. We really appreciate your comments about excellent location, gym and Lebanese restaurant-Al Nafoura. Thank you for bringing to our attention the issue with room size, some facilities need to be updated and allowing us to learn from your experience. Your comments will give us an opportunity to review our processes to ensure we don't inconvenience our guest in the future. I am glad to inform you that gradually over the next 2 years we will be redesigning and renovating our older rooms. We hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back to Le Meridien Jakarta.

Isrin

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I checked in fairly early in the evening, on a connection between Jakarta/Balikpapan.
The checkin process was swift and painless, and the room on the sixth floor was extremely comfortable, with a homely view over a construction site. (I'm in the construction industry, hence 'homely'!). Plenty of brew kit available in the room, a very well stocked, if pricey, mini bar, and altogether very satisfactory.

I had already had my evening meal, so didn't feel the need to try any of the food outlets within the hotel, but I did wander down to the 'Tiga Pulau' night club. Due to the early time, and it being a Thursday night, I was the only customer, so I missed out on the full potential of what looked like would be a very lively night spot later on, when us old fossils are tucked up in our little truckle beds.
I was made to feel welcome by the bar staff, who enjoyed trying out their English on me, at the same time introducing me to some of the Bahasa Indonesia phrases that you won't find in the 'Lonely Planet' phrase book!

My check out was at 04:30, so I missed out on breakfast. Altogether a very pleasant hotel, and I hope that next time I pass through Jakarta I will have the chance to experience more of it's facilities.

In the short time I was there, I found all the staff courteous and helpful, even at 0h God o'clock in the morning. A hotel to be recommended.

Room Tip: Have your Starwood Preferred Guest Membership card handy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
isrin_virgasari, Manager at Le Meridien Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear Bedou,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Le Meridien Jakarta. We really appreciate your comments about our services and facilities. We really hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back to Le Meridien Jakarta in nearest future. We hope your next visit will be a pleasant and memorable stay.