“Unexpected Delight” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 453 Hotels in Jakarta
Brisbane, Australia
“Unexpected Delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Yes the Sari Pan Pacific is old. But get yourself into a large Pacific Club Room and you won't regret it.

The club rooms are twice the size on those on the lower levels and have been beautifully "refreshed". So while there are some elements that are evidently old, the room is spacious and clean with a huge bathroom. The small kitchenette of the lounge area is great, particularly if you're here for several days.

The service at this hotel is fantastic. The staff cannot do enough, and nothing seems too much trouble. They instantly remember your name and room number, and it's so nice when after only one day they remember your coffee order at breakfast too!

The hotel is in a good location. Close to CBD for business meetings. Next door to a nice department store and Starbucks too.

The club room on the 18th floor isn't large, but it is such a nice spot to relax with a G&T at the end of the day, or for an afternoon coffee (all complementary).

The gym is small but with excellent equipment.

Room Tip: Pacific Club Room is the only way to go (the standard rooms are too small and outdated).
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Deniese C
thomas_mayrhofer, General Manager at Sari Pan Pacific Jakarta, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear Deniese C

Many thanks for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor detailing your latest stay at Pan Pacific Jakarta. Thank you for your favorable review of our Pacific Club Rooms which are indeed amongst Jakarta’s largest Executive Club rooms at 60m2.

Our associates are indeed very welcoming, industrious and professional and willing to go the extra mile. I will personally share your review with them as they always enjoy such nice guest feedback.
The location of our Hotel is indeed very favorable for both business and leisure guests. Our Pacific Club Lounge is not overly large; however we are confident that we have sufficient seating for all Pacific Club Rooms.

While I agree that our Pacific Club rooms are by far our best product and that our Standard and Deluxe Rooms require a full refurbishment they lower room categories are equally as clean with equally friendly service and thus do provide an option for those traveling on a smaller budget.

Again many thanks for taking the time to write your review and I hope to welcome you back to Pan Pacific Jakarta in the very near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Nearly everything about this hotel is tired and worn out. It was probably a marvelous hotel 30 or 40 years ago, but it appears that almost nothing has been done to modernize, upgrade, or even sersiously maintain this hotel in the past several decades.

Check-in was agonizingly slow for my arrival. Lobby is so-so. Hallways are somewhat dark. Carpets in the hallways are stained and dirty (not much better in my room). The entire floor I stayed on was musty and smelly.

Funrnishings in the room were old. TV was small and ancient. The bathroom was small and grungy. My room (facing the main thoroughfare of Jakarta) was extremely noisy, with sound of traffic and racing cars and motorcyles throughout the night.

Complimentary breakfast was acceptable but not great. Service was marginal. I had to ask repeatedly for coffee refills, as no servers were checking on my needs. Several breakfast food choices were depleted and slow to be replenished.

Somethings good: excellent, comfortable bed and linens, free wifi.

About the only thing NOT stuck in the 1970s at Sari Pan Pacific seems to be the hotel's prices. As example, I was charged an outrageous $8 for a simple draft beer in the lobby. If this hotel wants to charge 5-star prices, it ought to upgrade to 5-star quality.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the back side, away from the main road; street-facing rooms are extremely noisy...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
thomas_mayrhofer, General Manager at Sari Pan Pacific Jakarta, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Raintree_Thailand
I am very sorry to read about your check in experience as this process should not be slow at all and I shall ensure that I will remind my team the importance of a quick and efficient check in. While I certainly agree that our Hotel is starting to show its age, we have done several big improvement projects over the past two years, and we are currently awaiting the interior design for our new rooms. We have upgraded a lot of expected back of house infrastructure such as the replacement of our boilers, genset, hot and cold water pipes, drain pipes and hydrant pipes. More noticeable we have replaced our beds, linen (thank you for mentioning those two items, pillows, mini fridges and safety deposit boxes. I am also delighted that we will receive 365 new television sets this year in order to improve our guest’s television experience. Not only are we adding new 42 inch LED televisions we are also upgrading our television cable which will provide guests with a greater choice of channels to select from. Unfortunately you have just missed the arrival of our televisions. Once the televisions are installed we have virtually replaced all that we can replace without a more significant renovation which we are working closely with our owners to achieve.
Being located in the heart of Jakarta does bring some noise pollution issues which unfortunately occur at most city center Hotels. While our back side (Sabang Street) is generally a little quieter there are still noises coming from this side as well. The noise from Sabang Street View rooms is generally music from local venues which can also go on well into the early morning hours. I personally prefer the Thamrin Street view room as the traffic noise is more consistent.
Unfortunately the cost of Alcoholic Beverages is quite high in Indonesia and we do sell our San Miguel beer for IDR 65,000 per 330 ml glass.
I hope you will return to Pan Pacific Jakarta for future visits to our city.
Legian, Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

My experience in this hotel not been very good at all.
Location of hotel is great, just love it.
One of our friends book this hotel for us for the discount business price.
But when we check out it work out more expensive than normal price. I am not sure how that work it out at all. After paying that price for this condition hotel we have been laughed at by our friends lives in Jakarta.
OK..why I did not like it?
When you enter the lobby looks great and very friendly staff. But please lift up your head and have a look at the ceiling.. you will see not only cheap finishing but plenty of leak stain as well. Just very ugly for that price.
You need to use your key card to use lift. Once you enter the floor you want to go, (our floor was 8) You will be welcome with the stinking unpleasant air freshener or damp,old, humid smell. They are trying to cover of the old and humid smell with air freshener but actually they use wrong one, so it becomes very unpleasant.
Then you you will notice thorn carpet and not even corridor to walk.
Room carpets not much different. After shower, when I walk in to carpet my feet are become almost muddy black.
I am sure that carpet never ever have been washed. Color of the carpet look like 50 yrs old.
In the morning went to have a breakfast, I found reasonable but for that price..was very cheap. Not much choice of cheese or very little.
Eating or drinking in this hotel over priced. Even we are booked for two hey serve only one breakfast and I end up paying extra for each day. That was very strange experience for me.
But the hotel staff for the Indonesian standard way too professional.
This hotel doesn't deserve their staff.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone for this price.
Would I ever go to that hotel again? I don't think so...

Room Tip: For the price for this Hotel you can find way much better hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
thomas_mayrhofer, General Manager at Sari Pan Pacific Jakarta, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear SolomonSilver2
Thank you very much for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor detailing your latest stay at Pan Pacific Jakarta. Unfortunately you did not feel value for the price you paid and have raised a number of concerns regarding our Hotel.
Our location is indeed great as the central Jakarta location is preferred for both business and leisure travelers. I am not sure how you booked your room, however it appears that your friend has access to a negotiated corporate rate for which he booked your room. Our corporate rates are negotiated rates that provide business with a consistent rate throughout a one year period in order to avoid seasonal peaks and valleys. Most of our corporate rates are negotiated for single stays and include breakfast for one person. Depending on the time of the year (seasonality) or day of week (weekday or weekend) there may be times that we offer a special discounted rate which indeed may be better than a corporate rate offered. Again this is quite common in our industry and our corporate partners understand this as during peak periods they also receive a great discount of our best available rates.

Our lobby ceiling indeed does have significant water marks, and this is mainly due to our recent replacement of all of our hot and cold water pipes. While the majority of this project is completed we are still removing our old pipe which at times causes further leakage. At the end of this project our contractor will indeed repair the ceiling and repaint this ceiling. Unfortunately to do this prior to the end of the actual piping work would result in additional interruptions to our guest services.

Using your key card to use the lift is an additional security function for our guests and also reduces traffic on floors which reduces traffic and noise on our guest corridors. Our guest rooms including carpets do require a renovation and we are working on this with our owners. Our carpets are old, however I can assure you that they are shampooed a minimum of four times per year and our housekeeping team does a very good job maintaining an aging product.

I greatly appreciate your comments regarding the professionalism of our associates as this is indeed one of our strengths and many of our returning guests have built a lasting relationship with many of our associates ensuring their continued return to Pan Pacific Jakarta.

Once again, I am sorry that you did not feel your experience at our Hotel was good value for money. I do hope you will return to our Hotel in the future. Again thank you for taking the time to complete your review.
Padang, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

The room is very comfortable, clean, and smell good, the staffs are polite, you have everything you need in the room without complaint. Once, you want to pamper you yourselves or family, this hotel is the right choice

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank patrarinadewi
Dear patrarinadewi

Many thanks for taking the time to complete your review on TripAdvisor detailing your recent stay at Pan Pacific Jakarta. It is always great to hear when our guests enjoyed their stay and I truly thank you for your comments regarding the cleanliness of our Hotel. In a Hotel that is a little bit older and in need of certain upgrades, cleanliness is so important and we stress this with all of our housekeeping and public attendants. I shall share your comments personally with our team.

Our associates do try very hard to make every guests stay memorable and we succeeded with you.

I hope to welcome you back to Pan Pacific Jakarta very soon.
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

A lovely hotel, with great views of the city and terrific service. This place gets almost everythng right for business visitors - from great breakfasts to the lovely pool, nice rooms and very helpful people. Good WiFi access and a central location - important considering the horrendous traffic!

1 Thank sodafin
thomas_mayrhofer, General Manager at Sari Pan Pacific Jakarta, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear sodafin,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor detailing your latest stay at Sari Pan Pacific Hotel. I greatly appreciate your very favorable comments and assure you that I shall share this with all of our associates. While our Hotel is not the newest, our associates indeed to a fantastic job keeping our Hotel clean and full of smiles.

Our location is certainly a unique selling point as Jakarta traffic can be very poor indeed. We are located in central Jakarta and this provides guests access to all of the Central Business District as well as the many entertainment centers within close proximity of our Hotel.

I hope to welcome you back to Pan Pacific Jakarta in the very near future.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

The hotel is located right in the heart of business district in Jakarta. Hence, travelling anywhere to Jakarta from Pan Pac is rather convenient. However, if you are travelling to the outskirts, then be prepared for those traffic jams.

The hotel provided very good customer service. All staff are able to converse well in English. The only gitch I encountered was my room key got deactivated after the first day.

Room was generally clean. However, the TV was quite old and small. My room had two single beds, and only the bed facing the TV can watch it without any fuss. Trouble was, the TV was inside this wooden cabinet which there was no tray which you could pull the TV out from. Furniture and wall paper in the toilet and room is kinda old too.

There is free wifi in the room, with stable connection throughout my stay. Take note though, be careful not to use the internet cable in the room as the usage is chargeable. There are some essential toiletries "missing" though, such as shaving kit, shower cap, comb. Also, I can only find one electrical outlet in the room, which is quite surprising.

Room service is good, though it took a bit of time for the team to respond.

Breakfast was not bad, food portions are generous and rather tasty too! The service is excellent.

Overall, if you are looking for a no frills and cheap hotel for business, this is one that you could consider. The lobby is nice. However, do not expect too much for your room, as it is definitely older than most of the modern hotels. For its good customer service, I would give this hotel 4-stars. The only setback is really the old furnishings.

Room Tip: The side facing away from the main road will receive the morning sun.
1 Thank HoteLExpat
Dear HoteLExpat

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor detailing your latest stay at Pan Pacific Jakarta. I appreciate your comments regarding our location in Central Jakarta which is indeed a very preferred location for many visitors to our city.

I am also delighted with your view on our service, and I truly believe our associates embody Indonesian Hospitality with great personal efforts. I apologize for the inconvenience caused for your room key deactivation; unfortunately this can sometimes be caused when your key comes in close proximity with an electronic device such as a mobile phone. Generally our keys do last an entire guest stay however there are some cases where something corrupts the key which does result in having to reprogram your key.

I fully agree on your review of our Television Sets and I am delighted to share with you that all of our rooms will have brand new televisions prior to the end of this year. We are awaiting the purchase of an additional 365 television sets, and our supplier has assured delivery during this year. Further improvements will come through the installation of a new Television Cable which will allow us to provide guests with a better picture quality as well as additional channels for your viewing pleasure.
Our furniture and bathrooms are indeed tired, and for this we are working with our owners for a full renovation. The renovation will include a complete rewiring of our building as we do not provide sufficient power outlets, nor do we currently provide a dedicated power outlet where guests can charge electronic equipment while away from their room. This project will still take some time as at this moment we are only in the interior design phase.

Thank you also for your comments regarding our food and beverage offerings. Our lobby is truly nice space as it is spacious and very bright.

I hope to welcome you back to Pan Pacific Jakarta in the very near future.
Sepang, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

I suppose the location is not bad considering it is quite close to the business centre and lots of amenities and shopping area. Rooms and furniture looks dated and tough to find power points in the room for people travelling with gadgets. The the service was average too, nothing to shout about really.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
thomas_mayrhofer, Public Relations Manager at Sari Pan Pacific Jakarta, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear ArdKotaWarisan

Many thanks for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor detailing your recent stay at Pan Pacific Jakarta. Thank you for recognizing our excellent location which is indeed wonderful for both business and leisure travelers.

We are currently working with our owners to realize a full renovation as indeed our product is starting to show its age. While we wait for this approval, I am happy to share with you that we have recently upgraded many of our items that can be changed without a major renovation. The main items upgraded were beds, linens and pillows; Safety Deposit Boxes; Mini Bar Fridges and Televisions for our Pacific Club Rooms. Recently our owner also approved the purchase of new 42 inch Televisions for our remaining standard and deluxe rooms thus completing a full exchange of our old equipment. Unfortunately the remainder (including additional power points) will require major work and thus still take some time for planning and approval.

I am disappointed that we did not serve you up to your expectations, as normally our associates are very engaged and provide our guests with exceptional service. I hope you will allow us another chance to show you our usual service.

Hopefully I will be able to welcome you back to Pan Pacific Jakarta in the near future.