“Spacious room, rather small bath room”

Sari Pan Pacific Jakarta
Ranked #43 of 462 Hotels in Jakarta
Pekanbaru, Indonesia
“Spacious room, rather small bath room”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I like staying in the hotel, however i found that sari pan pacific is not stand out compare to other hotel in it's class. The room is spacious, with rather small bathroom. There's a bathtub with no separate shower room. The bathroom need to be refurnished as in my current stay, and in previous stay, the bathroom need a major make over. The bathtub is rusty.
The hotel currently doing a construction job, I hope it can help to answer my concern on the bathroom.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
thomas_mayrhofer, General Manager at Sari Pan Pacific Jakarta, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear DindaFreeTime,

Your review on TripAdvisor is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your comments regarding liking your stay with us. While our rooms are of good size, you are correct by stating that our bathrooms are rather small. Unfortunately due to our Hotel’s age (37 years) it was quite common to build rather small bathrooms in this era. Our Pacific Club rooms do have very large bathrooms with separate shower and bathtub; however our Deluxe and Standard rooms have the shower as part of the bathtub. I am sorry to read that your bathtub was rusty, and we are recoating such bathtubs on a regular basis. While we are in the midst of completing the replacement of all of our Hot and Cold Water pipes, our boilers and Steam System as well as hydrant pipes the next large renovation that will certainly address our aging product is still likely just more than one year away. We are working closely with our owners to renovate all of our guest rooms and public facilities and are currently in the design phase of our new guest rooms.

In the meantime, I can assure you that our Housekeeping team is working diligent to maintain a very clean product, which in an aging facility is quite difficult as even clean rooms fail to appear 100% clean due to extensive fading.

I sincerely hope you will return to Jakarta soon and will once again choose Pan Pacific Jakarta as your home away from home. Thank you again for taking time to post your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I booked this Hotel because i need to be at city, and this hotel is exactly in the city center. Just a few minutes walk to Sarinah Plaza (which sell souvenirs, batik and Indonesia's handicraft) and 15 minutes walk to EX or Plaza Indonesia and the famous Bundaran Hotel Indonesia.
The room is spacious, but the furniture are old, the chair, table, cupboard, carpets and paintings are all wooden and so old and made the room creepy.
I ordered room service, and it takes 30 minutes to have my spaghetti delivered (plus 3 times calling to the operator). But they gave orange juice as a compliment, fair enough.
Breakfast serves varieties choice of food, like indonesian, japanese and indian food but the quality is poor, just plain. The best that i tasted is the scrambled egg and salad.
Swimming pool is huge and enjoyable.

Room Tip: the Hotel provide free shuttle to Plaza Indonesia
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
thomas_mayrhofer, General Manager at Sari Pan Pacific Jakarta, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear sgracetine

Many thanks for completing a review on Trip Advisor detailing your recent stay with Pan Pacific Jakarta. Thank you for recognizing our truly fantastic location within the city center of Jakarta. Sarinah shopping center is indeed a special shopping experience as they offer the largest selection of local crafts within Jakarta making this a perfect shopping mall for our visitors. Also please note that we offer a complimentary shuttle to Plaza Indonesia Shopping Mall – the most modern shopping experience in Jakarta.

Through the years our room’s product has aged, and indeed we are overdue for a complete update of this product. We are working closely with our owners to renovate our room’s product, and in fact we are currently working on the completion of some “mock-up rooms” which will become the norm for our renovation. While we work with our owners and this, I am confident that our Housekeeping team maintains very high standards and our rooms are always clean.

Unfortunately your in room dining order took longer than expected and I am happy that our associates provided you with an additional benefit to overcome the mistake made by our team. As far as the breakfast experience I am disappointed to read about your experience, and I can only assure you that we are working on improving this and as such have recently added a new Director of Restaurants, Bars and Events who started on September 14th with us.

Many thanks for taking the time for the review, and I hope you will visit Pan Pacific Jakarta very soon.
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I should give 3 stars rating because of very old fashioned room, dull; but their service have changed me to give then 4 ratings. They are keen on service.
Location is in MH. Thamrin street, most major street of Jakarta, very prime location. I spent here about 25 nights in frequent visits in recent 2 years. But unfortunately they give me nothing on loyalty program.
Japanese restaurant in this hotel: Keyaki, is my top favorit in Jakarta, even I should say the taste can beat restaurant in Tokyo. I recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Cipto29
thomas_mayrhofer, General Manager at Sari Pan Pacific Jakarta, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Cipto29,

Thank you very much for completing a review detailing your recent stay with Pan Pacific Jakarta. I greatly appreciate your kind comments recognizing our associates for their attention to service. Our associates truly embody the spirit of Indonesian culture and their hospitality is quite natural.
Thank you also for recognizing our great location in Central Jakarta. We are indeed close to many shopping, business as well as entertainment districts making Pan Pacific Jakarta a preferred location for many visitors.

Our loyalty program does come with many benefits, and I hope that you will take the time to speak to one of our Guest Relation Offices, or ask to speak to our loyalty program coordinator to discuss this in greater detail during your next visit. Benefits start immediately and at the lowest tier include items such as complimentary WIFI access, complimentary mineral water and welcome fruit. Once you move up the tiers, benefits increase and we offer some fantastic local experiences all of which are complimentary. I do encourage you to speak to our Front Office Associates all of whom will be able to give you detailed benefits associated with your membership tier.

Lastly, I greatly appreciate your recognition of our Japanese restaurant Keyaki which indeed is rated as one of Jakarta’s Best Japanese restaurants. Just recently Keyaki Restaurant was rated as the First Runner Up in a customer driven survey conducted by one of Jakarta’s leading magazines.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to complete this review, and I hope to welcome you back to Jakarta in the very near future.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Its not new or modern but staff attitudes makes up for it.
Rooms are not great but spacious and generally clean.
Good beds and clean pillows.
No LCD or LED TVs but the CRT TVs are good enough unless you got nothing to do other than hole-ing up in room for cable TV.
Toilets are not in the best of condition - mildew stains visible, wall paper ageing but all basic necessities are in order. Hot shower works at all times.
Complimentary welcome drinks and if you are GHA member, internet is complimentary.
One last positive point is the location. It is 15mins walk away from mega mall Plaza Indonesia and Grand Indonesia where you will find the well heeled and great restaurants. Room prices are also very reasonable for a place that it located next to 6 star hotels like the Kempinsky.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear HSV 12

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor detailing your latest visit to Pan Pacific Jakarta. Your comments regarding our associates are greatly appreciated as they truly reflect South East Asian hospitality. I am also delighted that you recognized that our rooms are indeed clean. With an aging property it is a difficult feat to show that our rooms are indeed very clean. Our beds, pillows and linen have recently been replaced and thank you for noticing this as well.

The reason for my late response to your posting is that I was hoping to share with you that we have approval for 365 new LED televisions, which unfortunately today is still pending. I do expect that this purchase will be approved shortly, and in preparation for this purchase we are also currently bringing in a new cable which will provide our guests with some 55 to 60 channels with far better resolution than what we are able to offer today. I am confident that both of these projects will be completed prior to years end and we shall be able to greatly improve our guest television experience.

Our bathroom product is indeed tired and will require a major renovation which I also anticipate in the coming year. Whilst the product is old, I can assure you that my housekeeping and engineering teams are working diligently to maintain the current product.

Thank you also for recognizing our location close to many businesses and shopping districts, and we also offer a complimentary shuttle to Plaza Indonesia shopping center – one of the main shopping destinations within Jakarta.

Once again many thanks for your review and I hope to welcome you back to Jakarta in the very near future.
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Booked a weekend rate at pacific floor room from 17Aug12 to 19Aug12. I chosed the complimentary upgrade option and got upgraded to the pacific suites. Purpose of this stay is to take my 2 year old for a swim. Check in was quick and easy with lots of details given. Upon entering my room on 16th floor, I was a bit shock, as well as my wife and so is the bell boy. The room was not ready, chairs was in front of the entry door blocking the hall way and the furniture is not where it should be. I think they just vacuumed the whole floor but havent put back the furniture in place. The bellboy was apologetic and more shocked than me. He told us to wait in the room while he addresses the problem. He then came back after 5 minutes with the new room key on the 17th floor. As we enter the lift, we got another shock while reading the notice board inside the lift. Swimming pool is closed and wont be open until maybe on the 19th. Anyway, if it is closed then it is closed, just have to accept it, that's my argument with my wife who told me to make a complaint. The room in pacific suite is huge, bright and comfortable, its actually better than the picture on the web. It is clean and looks modern too, although the outside hallway and the lift looks old. About 5 minutes after I settled in the room, the guest service manager rang and apologised for the mess up with the rooms and 20 minutes later he personally came up to the room with a nice good size cheese cake with apologies to my name written on the cake, looks like a birthday cake. That was an A+++++ customer service. Well done! The lounge was nice on the 18th floor and all the staff is friendly, i like the outdoor area. Eventually I got to take my 2 year old for a swim on the 19th and the pool is nice. The equipment on the gym is not proper fitness first or gold gym, but u can work sometin out. In all, I have enjoyed my stay and what made me choose this hotel is because of the weekend rate which i think is a value for money (providing u get upgraded to suite). Normally I stay at Intercontinental hotel group to maintain my platinum status but now I will take this hotel into consideration. Who knows, maybe GHA will do status match.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank challengerxls
thomas_mayrhofer, General Manager at Sari Pan Pacific Jakarta, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear challengerxls

Thank you for taking time to post your review on TripAdvisor detailing your recent stay at Pan Pacific Jakarta. As part of the final touches to our recent plumbing upgrades we needed to drain our pool in order to replace existing drain pipes which were 36 years of age. All of this work was supposed to be concluded on August 16th in order to provide the many families that stay with us over the Lebaran Holiday with a great pool experience. While the work from our contractor finished on time, unfortunately the chemicals provided from our pool supply company turned out to be expired resulting in our pool to turn into a green pond. The only remedy to this situation was to drain our pool for a second time and start with a new chemical treatment of our pool which essentially added two days to the re-opening of our pool. While we did post the planned pool closure on our website, the delay was never posted as this was a very last minute circumstance and thus we were unable to post this further delay. I am truly sorry for this inconvenience and I hope you will understand the unfortunate circumstances of this unplanned outage of our pool. I personally have two children and fully understand the disappointment you and your wife will have experienced over this situation.

As far as your original room condition I am disappointed how this situation happened. During the Ramadan period our occupancy significantly declines and as such we use this period to perform a deep clean of all of our rooms. Shampooing all carpets and furnishing is part of this, however a room shall not be returned to be sold by our Front Desk until our Housekeeping Supervisor performs an inspection of the cleaned room. I have personally spoken to our housekeeping leaders as such a failure is unacceptable.

I am delighted to read that our team did some good “service recovery” and that you truly appreciated the gesture of the personalized cake sent to your room. Our Pacific Club rooms and suites are indeed spacious and our lounge services also receive great reviews from our guests.

As you stayed with us during our slowest period of the year we obviously had no problem to upgrade you as per your GHA Discovery loyalty program entitlement and I am happy that you enjoyed this as well. Please do note that aside from Ramadan and Christmas through New Year’s we generally run a very high occupancy Monday through Friday which does restrict our ability to upgrade many of our Platinum and Black GHA members as such upgrades are subject to our availability at time of check-in. Generally our weekend occupancy doe drop improving your chances to receive the complimentary upgrade. Aside from the upgrade benefit which is subject to our occupancy you will of course receive all additional benefis such as complimentary internet, complimentary mineral water, local experiences and late checkout – just to mention a few. A full list of benefits associated with each tier can be found on our website.

I hope to welcome you back to Pan Pacific Jakarta in the very near future.
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Nice hotel with friendly staff but need to upgrade the room & the facalities as the hotel look very old.
Though we do think perhaps there could be a finer touch to the interior finishing as well.
Central location thts the advantages of this hotel and easy to find a cab but make sure u have a small change for taxi or else u wouldnt get ur balance back..:)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
thomas_mayrhofer, General Manager at Sari Pan Pacific Jakarta, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Rachellz82

Thank you for taking time to post your review on TripAdvisor. Our Hotel is indeed 36 years of age, and we are looking forward to a complete renovation in the very near future. I am delighted that you did notice our friendly service as all of our associates truly understand Indonesian hospitality. Our central Jakarta location is indeed one of our competitive advantages as it is very suitable for both business and leisure travelers alike.

You are very correct with your recommendation to bring small bills for a taxi and only to add one further tip I would strongly recommend all international travelers only to use Blue Bird taxi’s as this is the largest taxi company with very good internal standards. Many other taxis look very similar to that of Blue Bird; however they will have a different company logo displayed. Blue Bird taxis are not able to bring guests to their destination without turning their meter on, thus this is a very big advantage over other taxi companies.

Thank you again and I hope you will return to Pan Pacific Jakarta in the very near future.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We were suppose to stay for 4 nights at Pan Pac. We took the standard room and as posted by others our room really needs an upgrade for the price that we have paid. The room was very musky each time we entered it and the tub does not beckons us to do a dip.

However, whatever short falls in the room expectations were made up by the excellent service from all the staffs. Everyone and I mean every staff we encountered were very helpful and polite.
At breakfast, as you walk near any of the waiters / waitresses, with the look of wanting something, the staffs will immediately walk towards you to offer assistance. Although we only stayed one night, when I requested to cancel the remaining days (cos my client also booked us at Grand Hyatt and our event were held there) the reception staff was indeed very willing and helpful and cancellation was not a problem at all was done in a matter of about 30 mins. Although Grand Hyatt is much better in terms of room condition and comfort (more pricey as well), we felt the service from staff at Pan Pac were much better.

Tips for Taxi in Jakarta. Make sure you have small change for taxi even if its meter running. They will tell you that they have no change and you are expected to give them the balance as tips.

Room Tip: I think they have better rooms called Pacific rooms. More expensive I assumed
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank John N
thomas_mayrhofer, General Manager at Sari Pan Pacific Jakarta, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear John N

Thank you for taking time to complete this review on TripAdvisor. I fully agree that our standard rooms require an upgrade especially our bathrooms in this room type. While the rooms are clean, the mattress and linen are new the décor and furnishings are at an age where they need to be replaced. We are working very closely with our owners for a full renovation, and just this week we received approval for interior design work. Unfortunately I am still uncertain of an exact date for actual renovations; however I remain positive that we shall announce this in the not so distant future. Our Deluxe rooms are quite a bit nicer and our Pacific Club rooms are of international standard as we have seen some significant upgrades in these categories over the past years.
I am delighted to read your review of our associates, as in an aging building service is the only real area where management can make a difference and we are indeed blessed with engaged associates who display true South East Asian hospitality. While we do not like it when our customers cancel part of their bookings, we adhere to a fair and uncomplicated cancellation policy as this assures that guest remember us in the future and thus return and stay with us again.

Unfortunately your comment regarding taxi drivers in our city is correct, and I should add that visitors should make every effort to request or seek a “Blue-Bird” taxi as this company has the best standards and drivers are usually very honest. Should any “Blue-Bird” driver take advantage of a foreign guest merely note the taxi number and report this to any international Hotel counter and Blue-Bird will follow up directly with the guest.

Again thank you for your review and I hope to welcome you back to Jakarta soon.