“The best hotel in Southeast Asia”

Mandarin Oriental Jakarta
Ranked #4 of 471 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My stay at the Mandarin in Jakarta was superlative. I cannot think of a better hotel that I have stayed in recently. The environment and atmosphere set up by the hotel staff was amazing. Luxury hotels have the tendency to get lost in grandeur and enormity. Although the Mandarin Jakarta is truly a luxury hotel it accomplishes this task with an intimacy absent in other luxury brands. However it was the willingness and can do attitude of the staff that sold me on the Mandarin Jakarta. Mr. Chris Jackson and Mr. Jordi Segales were amazing in their abilities and willingness to put in extra hours to support my organization's specific needs. I truly cannot say enough about their assistance. Our specific reason for coming to Jakarta simply could not have occurred as smoothly as it did without their great assistance. Ms. Regia Jahja and Anna Rohm also greatly helped in our very specific lodging and business needs. As did your intern Jacqueline and Jerry your security manager. The bottom line is the Mandarin Jakarta simply has a first rate support staff. That is why I rate it as one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in during my professional travels over five continents. Please continue your pursuit of excellence and I hope to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,332)

Reviewed June 2, 2010

If you want big foyers and pools go to vegas and be treated like a number, but go to the MO if you want to be treated like a king in beautiful surroundings. I have not been home for 2 months travelling to 9 locations in 3 countries and staying at the MO is like a second home. They refer to you by name and can't do enough for you. A busy work schedule caught up with me while I was staying there and I ended up getting sick and they had a doctor to my door in 10 minutes and medicine in 25 minutes. Nova at customer service personally took charge and organised everything and I always think you can better judge an establishment when they are doing something that is not an everyday occurrance and MO were exceptional. Fine food, great gym, amazing bed but it is the people that make this place.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 15, 2010

I was expecting the best MO, the number one hotel in Jakarta, and of course, a VERY good stay.

Because the reviews say it’s so!

To say it bluntly, I understand there HAS to be something utterly special and magnificent about this hotel, but I need a microscope to find it.

The Lobby is tiny. The Hotel is tiny. The Coffee shop, the Cinnamon, is also tiny. The pool? Well, take a guess.

This is Jakarta, where 5 star hotels are grand palaces. Look at Mulia, Shangri-la, Grand Hyatt. Even The Dharmawangsa. Compared to Paris Hotels the Jakarta MO is huge but then again, this is Jakarta.

People say the hospitability is amazing but again, this is Jakarta, Indonesia. People (ESPECIALLY in 5 star hotels) are all super kind, super patient, super smily. Especially to foreign tourists!

The room is big, mine is a 64 sq metre facing the welcome monument. For the first 5 hours I loved the size of the room, the bathroom, the HUGE tv’s. Until it dawned on me: the ceiling’s very low! This has to be one of the LOWEST ceilings I have ever seen in a hotel room. And all of a sudden, the 64 sq metre room feels cramped. And for the 300US$/night biggest non-suite room in this hotel, I still have to pay for wifi. Ouch.

My room at the Puli Shanghai was very similar in style with this one and I had a Nespresso machine, electronic window blinds, and free wifi.

Had late lunch in the coffee shop (cinnamon). The buffet is horrendously limited, the decor/furniture reminds me of spageddies singapore. The food (a la carte) is ok, I give it a 7/10.

Had dinner in Lyon, the French restaurant. Ok ambiance, kind manager. Food (some of it) is good. Had the risotto (great!), veal blanquette (good), and 2 appetizers that are so-so. The creme brulee is cold, and the mille feuille is okay. The total price (about 90 US $) is expensive by Jakarta standards. Because this is not Rosso (shangri la), C’s (Grand Hyatt), Sriwijaya (the Dharmawangsa), which are fancy-ish restaurants. Lyon is more of a hotel coffee shop kind of place. Why not make this MO’s coffee shop?

I am Indonesian, I live in Jakarta so I cannot judge the location. It is in central Jakarta, close to the grand indonesia mall and the sudirman street, but so are 10 other hotels. Ritz Pacific Place is 2 minutes from sudirman street, sahid, le meridien is ON sudirman street. Foreign tourists, you be the judge.

So:
Because most of the reviews here say that this hotel is super amazing (it is number 1), even compared to other MO’s, I was expecting something better, much much better. I was completely DISSAPOINTED, and will never stay here again. (Well maybe for free)
To be fair some of the rave reviews come from ‘people’ that only make ONE contribution to TA: The MO review :)
I’m just saying.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
8  Thank cendut
Reviewed April 27, 2010

This hotel is unbelievable. From the time we stepped out of the limo we were treated like kings. The staff was extremely friendly and always around to help when we needed them. There wasn't a question they couldn't answer. The room was spacious with a great view. The bed was like being wrapped in a bunch of feathers. The location was perfect. It is just across the street from the malls and any other kind of shopping that we needed to do. The restaurants were perfect. They had a buffet every day and each time it was completely different. This was definitely the best hotel that I have ever stayed in. I would highly recommend The Mandarin Oriental Jakarta to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2010

A lot of thought has clearly gone into this renovation. The rooms are beautifully decorated and have just about everything you could wish for in a business hotel (with the notable exception of an iron and ironing board, but to be fair the staff member I asked was incredulous that I actually wanted to iron my own shirt!).

The rooms are spacious and have a sitting area as well as a vast bed and the bathrooms are bigger than many of their competitor’s bedrooms. Early morning tea and coffee is well catered including a plunger for coffee and a tin of milk which makes a pleasant change from spending the first 10 minutes of each morning tearing at stubborn little packets of coffee and creamer and usually managing to tip at least one onto the carpet and fill one’s mouth with instant coffee granules.

I didn’t get to sample all of the F&B outlets, but the ones I did were great. The MO bar has enough atmosphere to be enjoyable and yet to still be able to hear the conversation you are having. Dinner at Lyon was excellent and breakfast at Cinnamon presented a myriad of different options which could keep the average person occupied for a number of hours.

I have stayed at a couple of hotels in Jakarta, but won’t be trying any others.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I travel extensively through Asia and beyond and have seen all ranges of hotels and service and can honestly say the quality and service of the Mandarin Jakarta is the best I have experienced. The staff give a level of service that goes beyond just being a job, you can feel the energy and enthiusium everywhere you go in the hotel.

Everyone gives a genuine smile and I was amazed that everyone knew my name and greeted me personally, making me feel very welcome and special.

I was booked into the Mandarin room, which was the best quality and value I have seen in a while, really amazing space and style. The room had a seperate sitting and office area, which I was able to use to meet my clients and discuss business. I had forgotten to bring my computer and i-pod cables and to my delight, the hotel had a technology draw fully stocked with everything I needed. I was then able to show my PowerPoint presentation on the 42 inch flat screen TV with a relaxing glass of wine.

That being done, I then plugged my i-pod into the wall outlet and went to relax in the most amazing bathroom I have seen, complete with twin vanity, an island bath (that comfortably fits 2) and a huge rain shower.

The toughest choice I faced, was whether to dine in the French or Chinese restaurant. I chose Lyon and was glad I did, the food was delicious and the service amazing, not to mention the selection of wine. After which we went to the MO bar and relaxed to the cool tunes and were again impressed with the friendly service by some of the best looking waitresses I have seen.

In the morning,.. time to hit the gym. The techno -gym equipment was top of the range, with 3 items I have not seen, 2 anterior / posterior stretching machines and a Kinesis machine that was totally unique and really gave a great workout . The highlight however, was the staff giving me a personal stretch and guidance on how to use the machines, very professional and experienced.
All this workout was undone by the tasty burger and cocktails while relaxing by the pool overlooking the main roundabout to top off the stay...but worth it.

We had a great time here and can not wait to return again and again......I can only suggest that you treat yourself to the experience.

Reviewed April 19, 2010

Absolutely fabulous stay. Extremely pleasant & courteous staff. The hotel rooms are also very large and well equipped.