“OVERRATED”

Mandarin Oriental Jakarta
Ranked #7 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed April 12, 2014

In terms of luxury hotels, the Mandarin can seem fairly average and it is certainly not the best in Jakarta.

Having said that, it must be noted that people like Henry Kissinger have stayed here in the past.

The hotel has seen a lot of changes in terms of decor, but, as a tower block, there is a limit to how attractive it can be made.

Rooms vary in quality and some of the cheaper ones may seem a little disappointing.

However, you will find the expensive suites are good.

My favourite part of the hotel is by the swimming pool.

And yet, the pool at the Mandarin is not as spectacular as those at certain other luxury hotels.

I have never been greatly impressed by the food at the Mandarin.

All three main restaurants seem to lack 'class'.

The Mo bar may occasionally be visited by some retired general, but it lacks the atmosphere of other top night spots.

The Mandarin is a bit 'chilly Chinese' rather than 'sunny Sundanese'.

The Mandarin is very central.

However, I have always preferred the greener and more friendly parts of Jakarta away from the centre's heavy traffic.

If you are a tourist, I would advise travelling to the outskirts of the city and taking a walk through the fields and kampungs.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

The Mandarin Oriental chain is uniformly excellent, but their hotel in Jakarta really raises the bar. The staff service was perfect, our room was spectacular and the breakfast buffet was immense and diverse. Even the fitness center exceeded our expectations. One feature that may annoy guests is the required metal detector before entering the hotel, and the security gates at the entrance. Just remember that this is Jakarta and these measures are for your protection. Highly recommended.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I was responsible to organise my sisters wedding that took place on the 22 March 2014, and after looking around for a few hotels in Jakarta we have decided to go with Mandarin Oriental. We were so happy and great to be able to have my sister's special day at this hotel because of these:

1. Excellent service and personal approach by the hotel people (especially Mr Azumar), in allowing us to explore the hotel, with the wedding arrangement and the flexibility that made us feel so welcomed.
2. Great Venue and pricing for the size of the wedding that we wanted for.
3. Great rooms, we booked more than 10 rooms at the hotel to accommodate for family and friends that traveled overseas, everyone loved the quality of the rooms, and the city view is great.
4. The food were really great, as we were preparing for the wedding we had most of our food from the restaurant downstairs or room service, everyone complimented the food from breakfast to dinner.
5. Very well trained staff, they showed utmost care and respect to everyone involved in the wedding including the guests and the vendors.
6. Mr Azumar were very helpful as a contact person with us in order to connect with the rest of the hotel crew that was involved in the wedding. The way he understood wedding were more than just a venue provided, he gave us lots of inputs that add massive value to the wedding even though he doesnt have to do that. He was there all through out the event to make sure that everything was going according to the plan, which was very helpful for all of us.
7. On a side note, the vendors have also shown their thanks on how helpful Mr Azumar and his team was in helping them preparing everything from the necessary documentation and making sure everything was prepared for them to do their job.

It was a very memorable day for all of us, we had 3 events all at Mandarin Oriental, the first one was the Holy Matrimony in the morning, the Wedding reception at night and the Family Drinks afterwards, all three were very great and on behalf of our family, friends and everyone else that came to the wedding we would like to express our gratitude and outmost thanks for Mr Azumar and team and the Mandarin Oriental Jakarta.

ps: would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a wedding venue (or even other event) in Jakarta.

Room Tip: If you can ask for a view that overlook "Bunderan HI" (the roundabout with the monument) t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I came to JKT to visit relatives and as they leave in that area its most convenient to stay at the MO. I like the area because of the selection of restaurants, bars and mall but yes it is on the more pricey end. Regarding the MO JKT I really enjoyed my stay, try to add the club access, it is really worth it, much more private and very attentive service. The fitness is big enough for my daily work out.
I tried out all three outlets and food wise the Chinese one is my favourite.

Overall its a great hotel value for money wise, if you need to stay in the bundaran HI area. As the traffic is terrible in Jakarta, you need to choose a hotel in the area you move around most.
With no doubt I can recommend this hotel

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank theasiantourist
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Well, I just returned from another trip to jakarta and I stayed at the Mandarin again and am very pleased. They never dissappoint. On this trip, they accommodated me with making sure I had breakfast from their restaurant during hours which the restaurant was not operating. It was a wonderful breakfast by the way! I will remain a loyal Mandarin client and like I said, they never dissappoint me and go above and beyond what is it expected. Thanks Mandarin!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Robert L
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I am a frequent traveller to Jakarta for business. I have tried a number of 5 star hotels but the MO stands out. The staff are not just friendly but look for ways to make your stay comfortable and totally stress free. They make it their job to remember your name and your preferences such as whether you prefer apples or bananas or directions to the silverbird taxi about how to get to your regular meeting place. The rooms and food are first class and the health facilities should satisfy the most demanding fitness fanatics.The best value in town.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TMG525
Reviewed March 25, 2014

If possible i always stay in Mandarin because of excelency of service....in jakarta i have to say had 1st times few incidents , i was surprised and wrote to management of the hotel a note....their reaction was quick and efficient not only apologising but also trying to compensate , even if i insisted i didnt want any compensation......

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family