“Nothing short of perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Jakarta

Mandarin Oriental, Jakarta
Ranked #3 of 453 Hotels in Jakarta
Singapore, Singapore
“Nothing short of perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was my first time at this hotel, and it was a perfect stay – from start to the very finish. While there are now many luxury hotels in Jakarta and I’ve stayed at several, I feel that the Mandarin Oriental is a cut above the rest and I'd go so far as to say that it provided me with the best experience at ANY hotel in a long time.

The email that I sent to reserve a room was answered within an hour, and subsequent requests (high floor with city view, type of bed, etc) had all been seen to upon my arrival. The staff at the hotel are all without exception warm and friendly – they address you by name and go out of their way to address your every request. While most good hotels provide this, the difference is that you can feel that staff here are genuinely interested in wanting to make your stay as perfect as possible, and will do anything possible to that end. I was also surprised that the staff were happy to take a moment off their tasks to have informal chats with me, and to give tips on the best places to go for meals, nightlife, etc.

Rooms are large and well laid-out, and give an inviting feel. They come with light sensors and closets that can actually fit large suitcases. The bed is wonderful - really comfortable sheets and good support, giving me a very good sleep. I feel that it’s the little touches that make this hotel stand out: receptionists who personally bring you to your room and to your taxi (check out); giving you more bottled water and toiletries than you need; providing large daily portions of fruit in the room; coming around to ask if you’d like more wine in the club lounge (benefits for certain room types only),…

The breakfast selection is more than adequate, and while I wouldn’t say there’s more variety than at other places, the food here is of good quality and generally well-prepared.

The only drawback of this hotel is that it’s not immediately adjacent to any malls. Grand Indonesia and Plaza Indonesia are directly across the road, but you need to walk about 10 minutes and use an overhead bridge to get to them. The hotel provides a shuttle service, but there’s a schedule and you need to book the service in advance.

However, that’s a minor issue, and shouldn’t detract from the fact that this is a splendid hotel, and definitely my new favourite in Jakarta. I will be back very soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing the city
1 Thank joshuaong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I have been going to Jakarta for many years and during that time have stayed at a great many hotels as my company has changed its allegiance. For the past two I have been back at the Mandarin Oriental and I am glad that we are back.

This is one of the best hotels around it really is. A personal greeting upon entering the hotel and immediately whisked away where registration was done in the peace and quiet of my own room. And a very good room it is too. Large, decent sitting areas, big flatscreen, separate cloakroom and a good bathroom.

Breakfast can be a bit busy but a rather nice touch was again being greeted by name even on Day 1 by the hostesses of the breakfast area. Still not sure how they do that. The breakfast is fairly standard business fare but it's up at the decent end of the spectrum.

Room service has only ever disappointed me once in all my trips and it wasn't a biggie. Otherwise it is consistently good as has been the food in the French restaurant downstairs.

Getting a car or a taxi at the front has never presented a problem. The staff are efficient and courteous from the door girls to the GM. Check out is well run and I always feel that the staff are prepared to go just that little bit further than many many other hotel staff to make me feel welcome.

If I ever go to Jakarta on my own dime this is the hotel I would chose and that says it all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Excellent concierge service. Probably one of the best mandarin oriental hotels I have patronized so far. Good value for money too as our room rate included free breakfast as well as wifi. Very comfortable bed although I found the lightings a bit on the dim side.

Enfield, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I visited Jakarta on business recently and my client suggested I stay here and I'm very glad they did. The hotel is the very epitome of luxury and the room was spotless and very well appointed and will please the voyeurs amongst you as the enormous bathroom sports a viewing window, just in case there's nothing on the TV! The staff were always extremely helpful and my only slight criticism would be the breakfast which wasn't quite up to the 5 star level of the rest of the hotel. I'll be going back to Jakarta in a few weeks and will definitely be staying here again.

1 Thank kleopapas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Grand Indonesia Shopping Town which people tell me is the largest shopping mall in Jakarta is just across the large Jalan Bundaran roundabout from the hotel. A word of caution though - don't attempt to cross the roundabout on foot. The hotel has a shuttle service to bring you there. If you want to walk, look for the overhead pedestrian bridge - there are two on Jalan Mohd Husni Thamrin on either side of the roundabout. I know it's not usual to attempt to cross such roads on foot in some cities but this is not one of them. Even the locals don't risk their lives to attempt it.

As for the hotel, it's not the first time i stayed there but this hotel has always impressed me and they always up the service level. Checking in was a breeze. I arrived very late at night - close to midnight - and the registration staff took me to my room to register me together with the porter with my luggage. This is important to me when i arrive late as I don't like to have my luggage delivered to me 10 minutes after I have settled into the room so I usually take the luggage myself if they cannot send it to me immediately. The hotel kept all my details including newspaper preferences, credit card details etc... so check in took practically one minute and that was done in the room. I could then get on with getting ready to sleep. Checking out was efficient as well. It was done at the lobby and the counter staff took care to see me to my taxi and saying goodbye.

The only draw back is the small swimming pool - it's kidney-shaped and you can't do laps - and their very strict policy with no late checked out. I always make request for late check out whenever I stayed here as my flight leaves late but have never been successful. However, they do handle the rejection of the late check out request quite well. They make the health centre's bathroom available for guests who have checked out to shower before departure.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Shrek-loves-Fiona
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

The rooms are excellent to work from - the Business lounge is very good. The staff are by far the best in Jakarta - not just because of the service, but they go out of their way to personalise the service, without going over the top.

The hotel lobby may not be the most impressive in town - but in the areas necessary to make a long business stay enjoyable - room size, internet speed, layout, staff, service, proximity to shops and entertainment the MO Jakarta is ideal.

Room Tip: Take the delux room the layout is ideal for a long stay
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CMT2020
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We have stayed in a few MO hotels around the world - Singapore and KL and I have to say this one rates below the other two. We arranged a car through the hotel to pick us up at the airport and it took us nearly 90 minutes to get to the hotel - not the hotels fault granted, however, the driver fell asleep on a number of occasion - very worrying!! My husband mentioned this to the receptionist when we checked in and she seemed concerned too!

The room was huge, with not much of a view. We used the MO Bar for some drinks and food, which was relaxed and the tapas were tasty. The pool area was surprisingly small but it was clean. There was a lack of loungers as a family decided to take over most of them and got away with it as one of them had an issue with an injury to his foot from the pool decking. The rest of our morning was spent watching the staff fall over backwards being nice to them and forgetting the other guests around the pool.

On checkout, the bill was wrong and we were charged for some mini bar items which we did not use, however, this was rectified fairly quickly.

We had arranged a transfer back to the airport and this is where the hotel redeemed our faith in the MO brand...we were upgraded to a limo, due to our concerns over the original car driver, which to us was a thoughtful touch.

Staff were well trained and friendly as you would expect from the MO and would definitely pick the chain again, however, maybe not in Jakarta.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple