“Comfortable and well-equipped with wonderful service”

AYANA Midplaza JAKARTA
Ranked #41 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Comfortable and well-equipped with wonderful service”
Reviewed July 21, 2010

This hotel was a wonderful home base for business in Jakarta. The service was great, with truly helpful staff and nice touches such as offering complimentary coffee with wake up call. By Day 2 it seemed all the hotel staff knew my name. Fantastic pool, gym, and spa. Various decent eating options in hotel and adjacent mall. Excellent concierge. Comfortable and well-appointed rooms a nice oasis in the chaos of Jakarta. Only con to note is that the building and decor are somewhat outdated, especially the lobby.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Australia
Reviewed July 7, 2010

This is the 2nd time I stayed at InterContinental Jakarta; I can tell that the room is now better and looks nicer than my previous stay. It’s obvious that the hotel had done a renovation. The staff still looks and acts professional, although one person at the reception desk did not even smile at me. Well that’s only a little glitch that would be swiped away by others. Try the Pizza directly from Wood-fired oven at the scusa. I had also spent some time to watch the World Cup football match with my business partners at the Bar down the lobby with couple of beers.
I would say the room rate is slightly higher than the other hotels in Jakarta but with the fab services that i got during my stay, it is pretty much fair enough though....
Unfortunately, I could only stay for 2 nights. For my next business trip, I would absolutely stay at InterContinental Jakarta so that I could have my business and leisure at the same place.

1 Thank Faby-Secret
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Great place to stay in Jakarta located in the Business District, but be prepared to be isolated from the city. It is very luxurious, and you can see this from the moment you step foot in the main lobby (and after going through 3 different security inspections!).

The perks:
- Little convenience store located in the lower floor lets you buy drinks and snacks for cheap prices.
- Great Italian restaurant in the hotel called Scusa. Try the parmigian risotto!! To die for.
- Rooms are clean, and definitely not noisy. You can get a good night's sleep.
- Nice pool area.
- Shopping mall right beside the hotel (walkable)

The only downside? Prices. Internet prices are steep, close to 20$ per day. Same with breakfast price and buffet restaurant price. We got nailed 4$ USD for a small water bottle at the buffet. Oops. I would suggest just eating at other places.

So if you're in Jakarta for business and want a relaxing place to retreat to after a hard day, you can safely stay at the Intercontinental.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 18, 2010

I had booked to stay two nights on a business trip but after checking in, I immediately went online, made a booking to return to the Grand Hyatt, and cut short my stay here by check out the following day.

Entering the lobby and reception area, I did not get the feeling that this hotel had been updated since the late 1980s.

My standard room looked like it had been spruced up but the positions of the furniture were slightly awkward; some pieces of furniture like the sofa appear too large for the room. Despite being a business hotel, there was no ironing board and iron in the room. Two small bottles of water were provided in the room, which again came across as rather measly when compared to the full size bottles supplied at the Grand Hyatt.

I visited the spa and the whole place gave me a creepy vibe with old tiles and somewhat unsanitary conditions. The steam room had exposed pipes and ugly water stains from many years ago.

Massage at the spa was rather average, in terms of interaction with the therapist and the strength quality of the massage.

There were not many places to go for food aside from the tired looking restaurants in the adjoining building next door.

Service however was a saving grace - every staff was polite and congenial throughout.

The Scusa restaurant served rather enjoyable Italian dishes, again complemented by exemplary service.

But I will not return as there are far better and more modern hotels, with equivalent good service, in Jakarta.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
ICMidPlaza, Manager at AYANA Midplaza JAKARTA, responded to this review, August 4, 2010
Dear Dino1812,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback following your recent stay with us.

We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations although it was nice to hear that you found the quality of service in our hotel to be of a high standard. In actual fact our hotel opened in 1998 which makes us a relatively recent arrival on the hotel scene in Jakarta and significantly younger than a number of our competitors including Grand Hyatt. Additionally, as we completed a room renovation project in February of 2009 we have some of the most recently upgraded rooms in the city.

We accept however that the look and feel of a property is a matter of personal taste and we are sorry that our hotel did not meet your particular requirements. Our objective is to provide practical luxury in a setting that is accommodating and comfortable, supporting this with friendly and attentive service. The majority of feedback on Trip Advisor suggests that in general we come close to achieving this objective.

Thank you once again for your feedback.
Reviewed June 10, 2010

This was the second time I stayed at this hotel, on business with colleagues. It was an excellent value before, and was an excellent value this trip.

This time I opted for a standard king bed room since I knew that my schedule would be too busy to take advantage of the tasty snacks and drinks at the p.m. club level service. The room felt spacious, and there was exellent housekeeping. Comfortable bed with duvet linens. Good closet and drawer space, in-room safe, nice toiletries, etc. as expected in a good business class hotel.

The breakfast buffet included in the room rate was very good -- nice bakery, fresh fruits, meats and cheese, and covered the range of tastes for an Asian, English, or continental-style taste. I really appreciated the omlette guy who made very good cooked-to-order omlettes (I hate steam table eggs, and have had a few awful experiences at other hotels that cheap out in that way.)

The Java restaurant also has a good option for Indonesian food. I'm sure Jakarta has other restaurants for local cuisine the locals might prefer, but this was a good option when you don't have the energy to venture out. And I always appreciate a country that where most of its citizens are muslims, but they are broad-minded enough to serve some decent wine. (I'm not looking forward to Jedda.)

My female colleague recommends the spa. She enjoyed a coffee rub massage. The pool is very nice -- nothing to compete with some of the extravaganzas in resort areas, but nice for a paddle around.

Excellent, professional, friendly service throughout.

The hotel is in a nice upscale shopping district, but I don't feel comfortable walking around Jakarta at night.

Again, I'd be very happy to come back to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Singapore
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Jakarta, city of a million five star hotels at ridiculously low prices. The only Four Seasons I'll ever afford, a Hyatt with a buffer to die for, and the JW Marriott (see my previous reviews of that place). But from the pack emerges a strong challenger for me. My stay at the Intercon was incredible. I had a club floor room and the staff were wonderful. Everything was right. The wifi broadband worked, there were no queues, no crowds and no hassle.

The gym and the pool are massive and not busy at peak times. My flip flops failed the "closed toe test" but the staff graciously brought me a pair of rental trainers, spanking new for $3, so I could use the treadmill. Why bother packing trainers ever again? My only sports complaint would be to recommend that the hotel invests in a range of dumbbells.

The smorgasbord of snacks in the club lounge puts other club floor offerings to shame, with good Australian red wine available and the chairs there are so comfortable. Breakfast cafetiere coffee was splendid according to my colleague and the cappucino met my standards.

There were a few noise isues in the bedroom (the neighbour watching tv at 4am could be heard ) but the bed was comfy and the room spacious. The tray of delicious high end truffles stood on the desk as a complimentary gift when I arrived. The shower had power and decent quality gel and shampoo. The room was large and mercifully uncluttered. A proper newspaper (IHT) was left hanging on the door handle in the morning... so four out of five and could have hit five if the neighbour hadn't chosen to turn on ESPN pre dawn.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank George H
Virginia
Reviewed April 21, 2010

I stayed at Intercontinental MidPlaza in July-August, 2009. I was in a Premier Room, which has recently been renovated and upgraded. The room was wonderful, stylish, and spacious: the marble-style bathroom had a separate bath and shower; the bed was very comfortable; there was a large LCD TV in the room; working desk's layout was good with an excellent business chair. Room service was quick and good.

Swimming pool was nice, with a separate jacuzzi. The pool wasn't very long, but it was sufficient for recreational swimming. Fitness club was well-equipped and the staff there were friendly and helpful. I've also used the sauna and a steaming room, both of which are highly recommended.

The breakfast had a large spread of a variety of dishes, an omelet station, fruits and veggies. The service was once again outstanding. There is some variety from day to day, but the main spread was constant. It would take several days to try everything, as the spread is quite large. The staff were very attentive, bringing unlimited supply of a wide variety of coffee: espresso, latte, kopi tubruk (the Indonesian-style coffee; a must!).

The only complaint was that the internet connection was at an extra charge. A premier-style room should have that included. I believe they have changed this policy and the internet now comes included, but am not sure.

The location was good: taxis are readily available. Of course, you have to put up with the congestion in Jakarta, but that's not the hotel's fault. There is a smaller mall, just next to the hotel, with a variety of restaurant choices: Indonesian, Thai, Indian, Italian, Vietnamese etc. The food was excellent there as well.

All in all, a highly recommended hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business