“Epic fail”

Ranked #36 of 460 Hotels in Jakarta
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Epic fail”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

Intercontinental hotels in Jakarta, Singapore, Hanoi, Thailand desperately need an upgrade and modernization plan. The hotel and it's rooms are so dated and tired.

Back to Intercon Jakarta. Here is what went wrong:

1) got my name wrong from the reservation. But I'm quite used to this as they have never gotten my name right. Either my first name is used as my last name or my 'middle' name is used as my last name but never my actual last name. Despite numerous requests for them to correct the system is still persists. This time they managed to give me an entirely new name. My name was misspelled! Which means somebody else stayed there I guess!
2) because they got my name wrong, I couldn't access the internet... And had to eventually get myself down to front desk to clarify the situation.
3) the room was falling apart. Lights weren't working. Both bedside tables were literally broken from its wall mount. It was dangling there. The safe looked like somebody had tried to rip it out from it's mount (the shelf it was bolted to was falling apart and it had one bolt fastened which meant that you could swivel it around the remaining bolt), airconditioning was noisy, pillows were so hard and bulky. FYI, I stayed in one of their suites.
4) check in procedure. The receptionist did not understand English well. She looked and sounded lost most of the time. This was echoed by my colleagues who had their transport reservations and bills messed up by the same lady upon check out.
5) the telephone system was wonky. I dialed the 'instant service' button to get an ironing board and iron but was redirected to an external Internet help desk line. The hotel later tried to charge me for a local call to which they described was for Internet help desk. Why in the world would you charge yrour customers for trying to use the internet service (which isn't free!)???

Other than the fact that this place is 2 mins away from my office, I would never stay here again nor would I recommend anybody else to.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank YewMing
Ayleen T, Assistant Public Relations Manager at AYANA Midplaza JAKARTA, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear YewMing,

Thank you for your recent stay and bringing to our attention the incident and problem you have encountered during your last visit to our hotel. It is with much regret we hear about the unfortunate circumstances of your recent stay.

Please find below the feedback in regards to your feedback and complain:

In regards to the wrong name, our colleague in reservation has received the information from the booker who has handled the group that you were listed in. We have sent the confirmation letter as our regular procedure and there was no feedback that your name was misspelled. As a consequence, we were not able to provide a smooth check in.

In regards to the room facilities and check in procedure, we do apologise for the shortfall of service you experienced. Please rest assured that we have discussed this among the management team and have come up with action plan to improve the level of service and ensure our standards are consistently followed.

Referring to point no.5, our phone call tracking system has recorded the phone made as International Direct Dialling call at that time, therefore we have charged it to your bill. As our good gesture, we have waived the phone charges.

Once again we would like to thank you for providing us with your feedback.
We very much hope that you will return again to our hotel and I would be delighted to take care of any requirements you may have on future visits to Jakarta.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally to my email: ayleentjandra@icmidplaza.com next time so I can look after your reservation.

Assistant Public Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
jakarta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

i have many time stay at intercontinental jakarta midplaza,
i think this hotel is a goog place for travelers to get a relaxing and good place for business meeting

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Ayleen T, Assistant Public Relations Manager at AYANA Midplaza JAKARTA, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear shilu 168,

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback and your continuous patronage towards our hotel.

We certainly hope that InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza will be your preferred choice for accommodation and business meeting on your return trips to Jakarta.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Location is important and being in the city centre of Jakarta is great! The bonus is the fact that this property is accessible just outside the 3 in 1 area where you need 3 in a car to enter. Great lobby, exceptional breakfast spread and rooms are nice!

I had a KING bed and it was one of the best sleeps ever!

I would highly recommend this property to any business traveller.

Dear Edster88,

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. We are glad that you found the room, breakfast and hotel facilities to your liking.

The hotel location is certainly one of our strength. Our hotel is strategically located in the heart of the business district with easy access from two major roads, as an alternative route to the three-in-one policy.

Once again thank you for your recommendation and we hope that you will visit us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is a superb hotel, both in comfort and facilities. Above all, great staff - smiling never fail to greet you, and always looking to help you. Of special note is the buffet breakfast - a freshly made different fresh fruit smoothie every day and the spa - very roomy facilities including pool size jacuzzi, cold pool, sauna, steam room and rest room and two floors of treatment rooms. And very reasonable prices. Worth going just for a spa break. Highly recommended.

2 Thank LondonDonald
Ayleen T, Assistant Public Relations Manager at AYANA Midplaza JAKARTA, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Dear LondonDonald,

Thank you for sharing your feedback during your recent stay at InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza. We are glad that you found the hotel, the staff and the facilities to your liking.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

jakarta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

I have been using the spa and gym at intercontinental hotel. The staff there always very helpful. specia; thanks to risma asti and their manager irma.

Its a pleasure to be there, Highly recommended.

Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

This was my second visit to the Intercontinental MidPlaza and the high standards I experienced last time haven't altered. Everything from reception to the restaurant was immaculate and the rooms are spacious and clean. It would be hard to criticise any aspect of this hotel's standards and I'll be staying here again next time I go to Jakarta.

1 Thank pommybattler
Ayleen T, Assistant Public Relations Manager at AYANA Midplaza JAKARTA, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Dear Pommybattler,

Thank you for coming back and staying at InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza. We are glad that you found the hotel and its facilities to your liking.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback and we hope that InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza will be your preferred choice for accommodation on your return trips to Jakarta.

Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

As member of the hotel,almost every sunday, My husband and I come to relax and enjoy the spa, and I never miss the massage. I admit every therapists are excellent. they are kind, good service and does the job excellent.But if you have muscle problems, I think Tinah is the best.she knows how to do it.. . Good result. sleep soundly after massage. Believe or not. Try and request Tinah. Besides, the smell of the Hotel is my favorite, too. I think this smell is the symbol of Intercontinantal Hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Alice K,

Thank you for your regular visits to SPA InterContinental and your continuous patronage towards our hotel. We are glad that you found the hotel facilities, especially the SPA, therapists and the service to your liking.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.