Private Full Day Tour of Jakarta with Hotel Pickup

Book in advance
from
$78.00
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Flea Market at Jalan Surabaya
from $78.00
from $79.49
from $77.89
from $76.85
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Friends brought my husband and I here for a stroll, and we didn't leave empty-handed! We bought 2 antique clay wine bottles for a fraction of what was selling on eBay, and 2 antique kris with lovely carvings and forging patterns. Just remember to check your home country's Customs restrictions and be on the right side of the law! ;) For Singapore, blades under 30cm are allowed without having to surrender them to Immigration and Checkpoints Authority. Just declare them at the red line at the airport and you'll have a really unique souvenir from Jakarta :-) Remember to bargain!! We got ours for 40% off asking price - maybe because my friends who have been staying here for a couple of years speak the language.

Date of experience: May 2013
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I been to Sarinah Thamrin Plaza and Pasaraya mall before coming to the flea market and I was glad that I did not buy anything from the two malls until I got to the flea market. The prices at Jalan Surabaya was 75% cheaper than the prices at the malls. I was able to purchased wooden souvenirs that was also available at the mall for a fraction of the price. Haggling is a must at Jalan Surabaya and you are expected to bargain.

A good eye and knowledge of the culture is a must if you are looking for an antique work. Many of the stores is not coy about trying to make it look old.

Overall, its a single street with many stalls. No bathroom facilities.

Date of experience: March 2013
7  Thank Jonnhyu
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Jalan Surabaya is in the posh neighbourhood of Menteng where the houses are huge, the pretty tree lined streets are clean & quiet & there is an air of calmness. The antiques are sold in the long stretch of little wooden shops (some 40 or so of them, I reckon!) along part of the street. You may want to book a taxi or rent a car to get here & back, especially if you intend to purchase large items, since other means of public transport doesn't seem available (well, this is a posh part of town where presumably everyone living here have cars!)

Since there are so many shops, it will take you at least an hour to cover all of them from one end to the other and that's just for browsing, more time if you decide to stop at every shop, even longer if you decide to bargain & buy! There's lots to see as they sell everything from books, jewelry, wooden craft items, silverware, beautiful bottles, old typewriters, cameras, telescopes, microscopes - the list goes on & on & on! Shopowners are very friendly & obliging, often allowing you to photograph their wares (or even themselves!) & never pushy to secure a sale.

We got there at about 9.30am when most shops had only just opened, which was good as most of them were looking to "pecah telur", literally translated as "break egg" meaning shopowners would be eager to secure a purchase from the first person who walked into their shop, ensuring good luck throughout the day. Again, eager but never pushy.

So we took our time to browse, stopping to enquire prices of items that interested us, made a mental note, continued browsing & returned later to negotiate a price for the items we wanted. Between my friend & I, we ended up with some silverware & a pair of vintage sunglasses & were pleased with our purchases & the prices we paid.

Yes, there's a dirty river right behind the shops. We were fortunate as it didn't smell when we were there, but you may want to bring along something (whatever works for you) in case it does! Even though you're in the shade, it can get quite hot, so, dress light & maybe bring along a fan, tissues/wet wipes (also for wiping your hands as some items may be dusty) & some drinking water. We did also spot a nice cafe across the street, so, if the heat (or smell) gets to you, I suppose you can go there to seek refuge, have a drink & use the loo.

I foresee that we'd most likely be back here during our next trip to Jakarta. Even if you don't end up buying anything, it's a great place to visit & a bit of a trip down memory lane as you're bound to spot something from your childhood or something that your grandparents/parents owned.

6  Thank GPenaflorida
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Jalan Surabaya, or, Pusat Barang Antik, is a stretch of street shops in Jakarta's suburb of Menteng, the posh part of Jakarta where President's have had their mansions and diplomats love to live. This stretch of shopping is where you may find a hidden treasure or that special piece for your house. Here you can find old Dutch chandeliers, wooden carvings (masks, figurines, reliefs), old keys, coins (especially old Dutch coins), lots of jewellery (some valuable, most trinkets). The day we went there marine memorabilia were the go: all manner of diving helmets of a variety of vintages and from a number of different sources; and any number of collectibles from the bridges of seagoing vessels. You will see vendors working on newly acquired pieces, cleaning them up, restoring them, or even 'antiquing' them. Getting there is easy, catch a taxi. We asked our driver to wait for us at the other end of the street so we could take our time. Taxis in Jakarta are not expensive, and better to hold onto a good one rather than be constantly trying to hail one. You can come to arrangement with your driver that makes everyone happy. You can find genuine treasure in this place, it is unlikely, but it is a lot of fun searching through the shops and exchanging repartee with the vendors. This street is a great photo shoot! There are Kaki Limas (food stalls on wheels) if you need a snack. Children will enjoy it as much as adults.

Date of experience: December 2012
11  Thank Star707
Reviewed December 16, 2012

What I like abut it is that the price is not that high, the seller was friendly and see so many interesting stuff.
What I didn't like is the river behind the shop so dirty and stink! I wonder how people could stay and work there.
Overall is very recommended if you have 1-2 hours to spare