“Innovative hotel with bespoke service”

Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #11 of 471 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Personalized stationery and a butler you can ping with Whatsapp.... now that's pretty unique. Whoever is running this hotel is kicking it up a notch with some out of the box ideas like Japanese style toilets in the suite, complimentary fitness instruction at the gym, and a la carte happy hour. Not everything may stick but these guys are pushing the envelope in an otherwise stale hospitality industry and I have nothing but kudos for this kind of entrepreneurship.
Oh did I forget to mention this a grade A hotel with modernist flare? From the breakfast buffet that manages to incorporate local cuisine along with safe Western choices, to my suite which was elegant but not over the top, this was a stay that's hard to forget.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank jurajfox
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Juraj L

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoy the way that we are working to evolve the levels of personalised service that we provide to our guests and especially that you like the whats app functionality.

It is pleasing to know that these are apprecaited and we will continue to work on innovating how we provide the serv ice that we do.

Please let me know when you return to Jakarta and i will be delighted to assit you with your booking.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

The Keraton is one of my favorite business hotels I have ever stayed at. All the positive reviews on TripAdvisor are true. Very quiet hotel, one of the best locations in Jakarta central business district and no hotel night clubs. One can focus on business while being connected to Plaza Indonesia which is one of my favorite shopping malls in the city.

Having said that there are a number of management policies that grate on one's nerves for a longer staying business guest. The staff are genuinely nice people, but are frankly very overtrained and the overtraining comes off as being on the pretentious side. Example; when calling the service desk the process of the staff answering the phone takes a long time. Give me the W Hotel style of answering the phone "whatever, whenever" any time. Or even, "Mr. White, what can I do for you".

Another example. Recently I stayed for about 2 months, checking out two weeks ago. I'm still in Jakarta staying with a friend, but I had a business meeting with a hotel guest. I arrived by motorcycle and was turned away at the hotel security gate just off Jl. Tamarin. To make matters worse the security gets on their radios and the whole process of being denied access takes about 5 minutes. If you don't allow motorcycles in, just put a small sign up. I felt like I was getting singled out with no good explanation. The final straw was security telling me I could park next next entrance for the EX Mall. This advice was not offered I had to ask several times. I go next entrance to EX and am also denied entrance. I end up having to go all the way around to Jl Kebon Kacang and park on the street. 5 star treatment? What a joke. To be fair, the denial of entrance for motorcycles is becoming common in Jakarta for what appears to be an overly snobby approach to the realities of this congested city. Still the Keraton has the opportunity to rise above it all, but in fact, they have institutionalized snobbery by their management policies.

Another point is this hotel was very, very slow to credit my Starwood points and to date I am still missing points for my stay in January 2014. They are not shy about debiting my AMEX however. When questioned, management has customer unfriendly policies to point to. This is just unacceptable.

Overall, these are nit picky points, but are based on my real life experiences.

I would like to single out Pak Hendry, the Executive Chef at the hotel restaurant. He is doing an amazing job and I commend his efforts. The weekend brunch is the best I have ever experienced.

Very much looking forward to the standard reply to my review. Please don't. Be real. Drop the pretense and make a few changes that I am sure other long staying guests will appreciate.

Room Tip: Light sleepers will be awakened by a very loud religious loudspeaker at 4am each day. The quietest...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear EdwardBali

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you think Keraton is one of your favouite business hotels.

The feedback on the areas you wish to have improved are most welcome as we wish to continue to evolve our levels of service. I have emailed you directly to dicuss these in detail with the aim of improving how we deliver for you and others.

We have made some changes based on your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

In the morning before I go to worki met one butler name Rifky and asked him to checked about budget airline to go to Bali.And I told him to call me or send a letter to my room.When I came from work I got no information or note ,just nothing...
On the lobby when I was about to asked for the manager I met the chief butler wiwi or something her name hard to pronounce.I told her about my situation and she apologized and says she will get back to me as soonest.
Hoping it will done soon I went to bed and I hope I will get the info about the flight.Ended up the same.guess she also forgot about me.
Utterly upset and pissed.Butler with no sense of urgency at all.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Lop25
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Lop25

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your butler expereince did not deliver the service that you would expect from a Luxury Hotel. Our aim is to exceed our geusts expectations and I sorry that on this occasion we failed to do so.

This is certianly something that I will be discussing with Wiwit, Rifky and the team to ensure that these types of errors are not repeated in the future as this is not an aceptable level of service.

Please do let me know when you plan on returning to Jakarta and I will be delighted to assist you with your booking.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night and i wish i have more time in this hotel. Hotel is adjacent to plaza indonesia which is very convenient.

The hotel room design is wonderfully designed and furnished. Bed is very clean and comfortable. Great working area and sitting area to relax. The bath room is heavenly which puts westin heavenly bath to shame.

Would love to come back here if i have the chance.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MargaretMag

Dear magicfite

Thank you for your feedback on the hotel. I am delighted to hear that you think Keraton is heaven.

It is rewarding for all of the team to receive feedback such as this.

Please let me know when you plan to return and I will be delighted to assit you with your booking.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Was surprised that the Keraton is part of the Sheraton Group. A really boutique hotel..there are no big lobby to greet you but friendly receptionist.
The rooms are huge...with TV Screen even on the writing desk. Everything in the room is modern, the curtains automated..all from a remote. Apple chargers..
A huge Bathroom with 2 wash basin, a big bathtub and generous amenities.
Adjacent to the hotel is a big shopping mall and connected tot eh Hyatt hotel too.
The hotel breakfast is fantastic..with ala carte choices. The staff even allow me to have a 'take-away" coffee in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear rweston088

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and were pleasantly surprised that we are part of Starwood's Luxury Collection.

Making travel less stressful for our guests is a key focus of ours and so i am delighted that you appreciated the take away breakfast.

Please let me know when you return to Jakarta and I will be delighted to assit you with your booking.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

The hotel is located right in middle of everything. And is internally connected to the Plaza - a huge and buzzing mall.
Staff was courteous and very professional. The room itself was extremely well done. I loved the high ceiling and large glass walls. The restaurant has a vegetarian menu for people like me, and the chef is very friendly... 9 on 10 for Keraton!
(I am taking one point away for their lousy laundry service)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear bhuwan18

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed the hotel. I am sorry that the laundry service did not live up to the service in other areas of the hotel and this is certianly something that I will address with the team.

Please let me know when you plan on retunirng to the hotel and I will be delighted to assit you with your booking.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

The Hotel is so far one of the highest graded experiences I had. I did arrive at 11:00 my room was still in preparation. I received a espresso on the house and 10 minutes later everything was set and done. The rooms are spacious with an interesting interior design, definitely ot the standard business setup. Personnel always call you by name so you have not the feeling to be a number. All requests are handled in a timely manner, very impressed, even the wish for privacy after a long flight was respected.

Stayed: March 2014
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Norbert K

Thank you for your feedback on your recebt stay with us. i am delighted to hear that you has such a good expereince. Our aim is to make your stay as personal and relaxing as possible and it is rewarding for the team to here that you enjoyed this.

Please do let me know when you plan on retunring to Jakarta and I will be delighted to assit you with your booking.