“Same league as a Ritz Carlton”

Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #11 of 472 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed at the Keraton for nearly 30 nights over the past 2 months. A few things to note about this hotel
1. Rooms are gynormous - the standard room is larger and more spacious than suites at many hotels. Think 600+ sq. ft.
2. Facilities are top of the line - bose speakers, 46 inch TV, Toto automatic toilet, Massive rain shower, full length windows, highest quality gym equipment
3. Great location
4. Top service

If your budget allows - go for it!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear preritjain1988

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you have had such good stays over the last couple of months. It is very rewarding for the team to receive this feedback.

Please do let me know when you plan to return and I will be delighted to assit you with your booking.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Stayed at this lovely hotel for 3 nights. Their butler service is top notch, but there are plenty of rooms for improvements. For example, I asked them to reconfirm my flights but was told that they are unable to contact the airline / no one answer the phone. I rang the airline directly, and got picked up straightaway - Wierd...
Butler also helped buying me medicine from the mall upon arrival.
The Jacuzzi hot and cold spa is to die for.
Breakfast is excellent and plenty on offer - pity they dont do real bacon (only beef bacon).
Generous with their mineral water - which is necessary for city like Jakarta, where the bath tub water is yellow - avoid having bath in the room if you can - use the spa.
Would definitely come back here

Room Tip: ask for higher floor and avoid rooms that face the mosque
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Dear EUTAMA

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable expereince.

I apprecaite your feedbck on our butler services, this is certianly soemthing that will be followed up on to ensure that requests such as this are handled more effectively in future.

Please let me know when you plan on returning and will be delighted to assist you with your booking.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed at this hotel one recent weekend, and also have interacted a bit with their sales department. This could be a great hotel but needs work, particularly on the service end of things.

Positives:
The rooms are large, modern, and comfortable, more so than the Grand Hyatt, which is essentially next door and considered one of Jakarta’s premier hotels. And it is very near Plaza Indonesia and Grand Indonesia, which are two of the finer shopping malls in Jakarta which also have a wide range of restaurants, movie theaters, and so forth.

The food provided to Platinum members during happy hour was better than the norm and the breakfast was also very good. This is all provided in their restaurant as there is no dedicated lounge for SPG elite members.

There are some notable deficiencies:
There are only two elevators serving the hotel and this can lead to long waits.

Although generally quiet, I was bothered one day by some very loud music from the next room (when I complained, the hotel did take care of the problem). Whether this noise reflected primarily a lack of soundproofing or instead mega loud music played by my neighbor was unclear.

I had a number of problems with the internet in my room. Luckily, my stay was during the weekend so this did not interfere too much with my business. When I moved to the Grand Hyatt after my Keraton stay, the internet problems disappeared (meaning the issue was not my computer).

As a Starwood Platinum member, I was entitled to free drinks and some food during the evening happy hour, which began at 5 pm. I arrived in the restaurant 5 pm my first day and was the first customer. There were numerous staff, including waiters, cooks, and at least one bartender present. Nonetheless, it took them LITERALLY TWENTY MINUTES to bring me a martini after I ordered it. This poor service was really not acceptable from a hotel that brands itself “luxury,” nor would it be from a run-of-the-mill hotel. To be fair, the service at the restaurant improved a bit the next day although I still had the impression the staff there were disorganized and poorly trained.

I considered the service fail part of a larger problem that frankly seems to occur way too often at Starwood properties. When I checked in recently at the Keraton I mentioned that more than a year earlier I requested a corporate rate contract and was given rates and terms that were unrealistic, maybe even a bit insulting. Moreover, at that time I had been told the hotel was not going to give any room upgrades to Platinum members, a policy that apparently has since been changed perhaps because it blatantly violated SPG rules, something I had earlier complained to SPG corporate about (they now upgrade Platinums to junior suites assuming availability).
After I told them they lost potential business well in excess of 100 room nights as a result of their earlier fail, they asked whether I wanted to have their sales people contact me again. I replied it would be better to wait until I had been at the hotel one or two days so I could determine whether I preferred it to the Hyatt, which had since become my regular hotel in Jakarta. A well-trained staff member would have followed up after the day or so had passed; in fact, I did not hear from them again about this. This pattern is all the more curious given when I first asked them about a corporate contract (a year and a half ago) the sales manager told me they really needed more guests, and from what I gather this is still the case.

Indeed, while the staff at the Grand Hyatt seemed almost like family from the start, one gets the opposite impression at the Keraton.

When it opened, the Keraton apparently had illusions it could price itself above-market by using the “luxury” tag. Since then it seems its prices have fallen, although there is variability from week to week. To the extent one can get a room there on a short stay for $250 to $300, it may be worth considering. Above that it is overpriced, particularly given they seem to be struggling to provide the luxury they promise and instead provide, at least based on my limited experiences there, typical mediocre Starwood service.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jay K

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you had some positive experiences during your stay but concerned to hear the challenegs that you faced.

Our aim is to exceed our guests expectations at all times and I am sorry that we have failed to do this. I will certianly be addressing the points that you have made with the department heads concerned to ensure that we imporve the level of service that we provide.

For all of our loyal SPG members we always ensure that that you receive all of the benefits to which you are entitled under the program guidelines.

Please do let me know when you return to Jakarta and I will be delighted to meet with you and discuss the concerns you have raised and reassure you of the levels of service that we are able to provide to our guests.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I have had the pleasure of living in this hotel for 2 months....Yes 2 months and everything about this place is a step up. The personnel are super friendly and the room itself is luxurious. The concierge does everything from shining boots and shoes everyday to running to the mall and buying air time for my phone. I don't have to move a muscle. The food is delicious with the buffet style for breakfast. Granted it is pricey $250 US dollars per night. The only knock i can find about this hotel is the business center has no computers. But Wi-Fi is free.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear DSol77

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed living with us and that the team delivered the levels of personal service that you would expect in a Luxury hotel.

We do have 2 Mac's available for guest use so I am sorry that the team did not point this out to you. This is certianly soemthing that I will follow up on for future.

Please let me know when you are back in Jakarta. We look forward to wecloming you back again soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is the best hotel that I had ever stayed so far. The hotel staffs personalized my stay as special guest, I felt so warm of their caring-ness. Basically, the hotel staffs will take care everything for you form the time you step in to the hotel until you check out.

Room Tip: Give it a try.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear EdH76

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted to here that we are the best hotel you have stayed in. This is extremely rewarding for the team to here as we work hard to ensure that you receive the kind of personal service that you enjoyed so much.

Please let me me know when you plan on retuning and I will be delighted to assist you with your booking.

Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Mushroom soup that was ordered from room service for supper caused food poisoning. It was the last thing I ate around 1am and approximately 4 hours later nausea woke me up. I drank water and 10mins later it all came up including remnants of mushroom soup.... My travel partner and I shared food the whole of last night except supper where she skipped on my soup; and she is not ill at all. I was unable to keep in any food or liquids, not even water; vomitting and purging until I saw a doctor and took prescribed medication.

The Assistant manager understood what I was saying but politely stated there was no real proof / evidence to which I said simple deduction brings us to that conclusion.

As a result of this food poisoning We have had to burn return flight tickets as we were meant to check out today, we have no choice but to spend another night here and buy new return airfare etc.

My travel partner is a SPG Member and has written to the GM of Keraton and will copy SPG Customer Service. An otherwise impeccable stay here as been marred by this event. Understandably, these things happen but it's an expensive inconvenience which should be remedied.

We hope that this will be handled with compassion when considering the additional room charge we are having to pay.

Will update tripadvisor accordingly.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2015

Dear KDR2014

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

It is pleasing to hear that we are one of the nicest hotels you have stayed in and that you enjoyed the levels of service and small touches that we provide to all of our guests.

Please let me know when you plan on returning and I will be delighted to assist you with your booking.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I was here more than a year ago and the butler who I praised then has now been promoted to the Chief Butler so the exceptional service mentality that she had then is now being instilled to all her other butlers!

So why have I started with this? Because it's always the service! To be a perfect hotel, it's a combination of many things but it's easy for one thing to spoil it and once again, the Keraton has excelled in this respect. As good as it is, the staff are always striving to be better!

Right from arriving at CGK airport which is comparable to Manila airport that recently won the dubious accolade of being the worst airport in the world, the Keraton has a friendly and helpful staff member to meet me, help with my bggage and take me to the BMW 5-series waiting right outside the terminal. I asked him how it was that he was allowed access to the baggage area when most of hte other hotels had their greeters outside on the land-side of the airport and he replied because he has a pass which is absolutely excellent! The transfer in was in comfort with cold water and even colder towels! This retuirn transfer serive was US$84.

Arriving at my room were two elephants and a dog rolled up from towels! I first experienced this at the Westin Sukhumvit and was so impressed! There was also a plate of mango and mango juice because Wijayanti remembered form my previious stay a year ago that I liked this. There was a CD playing as well as the lights and airconditioning on. Sure, these are all little things but compare that to the opposite of entering a dark room and looking for the slot to put your keycard.

The bedroom and bathroom were spacious and appointment was excellent. The general manager at one of the hotels that I stay at regularly told me that generally, women dont use the toiletries in the hotel but men do because women are more selective about what they use so perhaps I'm her typical male traveller but just because I always use the hotel tolietries doesn't mean I dn't know what I like and the Remede toiletries here were excellent and I particularly liked beautifully scented shower gel!

Oh yes, I mustn't forget to mention the humble pen! All hotels will have pens available but the pen in my room was an absolute delight to use! The quality was so much better than your usual plastic hotel pens and I recall Keraton's previous pen, also of good quality but it was one of those fine Cross-like pens that you twist to roll the point out but I always find that these are very difficult to hold because theyre so fine and also the point invariably rolls back inside the tube which is very frustrating! Not the pen is heavier and has a roller-ball refill and much, much better to use!

We availed ourselves of the meeting room on the ground floor and while functional, I feel that it could have been improved with bottles of water and perhaps mints there and I'm sure I could have gotten these if I'd requested them.

The lobby was very comfortable and we used this for meetiings as well.

I was only here for three days on this trip but all the little extra thoughts and detail like the personalised stationery and comfortable and modern working area, excellent wi-fi made this a very enjoyable stay!

The butlers kindly brought me a nightcap of Baileys and Kahlua as well as an assortment of delightful and delicious macaroons from the bakery which were appreciated when I had too much work to do to be able to go out for dinner!

Wijayanti told me that she's aspiring to make her hotel the best in Jakata and in my eyes, they're already there!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1506 on the corner so had a great view on two sides throught the large floor to cei...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Dear RayC888

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted that Wijayanti and the butler team took such good care of you and delivered your personal preferences for you to ensure that you had a comfortable stay.

It is very rewarding for all of the team to receive the feedback from a returning guest who has seen the improvements that we have made as we continue to evolve the levels of personal service that we provide to our guests.

Please do let me know when you plan on returning to Jakarta and I will be delighted to assit you with your booking.