“Food poisoning”

Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #11 of 471 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Mushroom soup that was ordered from room service for supper caused food poisoning. It was the last thing I ate around 1am and approximately 4 hours later nausea woke me up. I drank water and 10mins later it all came up including remnants of mushroom soup.... My travel partner and I shared food the whole of last night except supper where she skipped on my soup; and she is not ill at all. I was unable to keep in any food or liquids, not even water; vomitting and purging until I saw a doctor and took prescribed medication.

The Assistant manager understood what I was saying but politely stated there was no real proof / evidence to which I said simple deduction brings us to that conclusion.

As a result of this food poisoning We have had to burn return flight tickets as we were meant to check out today, we have no choice but to spend another night here and buy new return airfare etc.

My travel partner is a SPG Member and has written to the GM of Keraton and will copy SPG Customer Service. An otherwise impeccable stay here as been marred by this event. Understandably, these things happen but it's an expensive inconvenience which should be remedied.

We hope that this will be handled with compassion when considering the additional room charge we are having to pay.

Will update tripadvisor accordingly.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2015

Dear KDR2014

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

It is pleasing to hear that we are one of the nicest hotels you have stayed in and that you enjoyed the levels of service and small touches that we provide to all of our guests.

Please let me know when you plan on returning and I will be delighted to assist you with your booking.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I was here more than a year ago and the butler who I praised then has now been promoted to the Chief Butler so the exceptional service mentality that she had then is now being instilled to all her other butlers!

So why have I started with this? Because it's always the service! To be a perfect hotel, it's a combination of many things but it's easy for one thing to spoil it and once again, the Keraton has excelled in this respect. As good as it is, the staff are always striving to be better!

Right from arriving at CGK airport which is comparable to Manila airport that recently won the dubious accolade of being the worst airport in the world, the Keraton has a friendly and helpful staff member to meet me, help with my bggage and take me to the BMW 5-series waiting right outside the terminal. I asked him how it was that he was allowed access to the baggage area when most of hte other hotels had their greeters outside on the land-side of the airport and he replied because he has a pass which is absolutely excellent! The transfer in was in comfort with cold water and even colder towels! This retuirn transfer serive was US$84.

Arriving at my room were two elephants and a dog rolled up from towels! I first experienced this at the Westin Sukhumvit and was so impressed! There was also a plate of mango and mango juice because Wijayanti remembered form my previious stay a year ago that I liked this. There was a CD playing as well as the lights and airconditioning on. Sure, these are all little things but compare that to the opposite of entering a dark room and looking for the slot to put your keycard.

The bedroom and bathroom were spacious and appointment was excellent. The general manager at one of the hotels that I stay at regularly told me that generally, women dont use the toiletries in the hotel but men do because women are more selective about what they use so perhaps I'm her typical male traveller but just because I always use the hotel tolietries doesn't mean I dn't know what I like and the Remede toiletries here were excellent and I particularly liked beautifully scented shower gel!

Oh yes, I mustn't forget to mention the humble pen! All hotels will have pens available but the pen in my room was an absolute delight to use! The quality was so much better than your usual plastic hotel pens and I recall Keraton's previous pen, also of good quality but it was one of those fine Cross-like pens that you twist to roll the point out but I always find that these are very difficult to hold because theyre so fine and also the point invariably rolls back inside the tube which is very frustrating! Not the pen is heavier and has a roller-ball refill and much, much better to use!

We availed ourselves of the meeting room on the ground floor and while functional, I feel that it could have been improved with bottles of water and perhaps mints there and I'm sure I could have gotten these if I'd requested them.

The lobby was very comfortable and we used this for meetiings as well.

I was only here for three days on this trip but all the little extra thoughts and detail like the personalised stationery and comfortable and modern working area, excellent wi-fi made this a very enjoyable stay!

The butlers kindly brought me a nightcap of Baileys and Kahlua as well as an assortment of delightful and delicious macaroons from the bakery which were appreciated when I had too much work to do to be able to go out for dinner!

Wijayanti told me that she's aspiring to make her hotel the best in Jakata and in my eyes, they're already there!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1506 on the corner so had a great view on two sides throught the large floor to cei...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Dear RayC888

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted that Wijayanti and the butler team took such good care of you and delivered your personal preferences for you to ensure that you had a comfortable stay.

It is very rewarding for all of the team to receive the feedback from a returning guest who has seen the improvements that we have made as we continue to evolve the levels of personal service that we provide to our guests.

Please do let me know when you plan on returning to Jakarta and I will be delighted to assit you with your booking.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I agree with most of the reviewers that the Keraton at the Plaza (referring to Plaza Indonesia, a high-end shopping mall adjacent to the hotel) is probably one of the best luxurious hotels in Jakarta. Spacious room with great coffee and tea selection, neat lighting and automated window shutter, high tech toilet (albeit a lesser "American Standard", not "Toto") and plenty of bathroom amenities. We stayed in their corner suite with expansive views of the sprawling metropolis, including its "kampung" (slum areas with open sewage canals) clearly visible from our 15th floor room. Which brings us to three disappointing negatives: 1. as aforementioned by several reviewers (without direct response to the issue by the management!), there is a persistent sewer smell in the bathroom that seems to penetrate most high rise buildings in Indonesia - but clearly a problem that can be addressed especially in a 5-star property such as this, 2. the decor is somewhat stark minimalism and rather "cold", but what is more disturbing is the quality of the craftmanship for a hotel this young to already reflect wear and tear; personalized stationery is a nice touch, however again its quality is below average, 3. the designers certainly were not concerned about older guests as the choice of material in the bathroom (consistent with the interior theme) makes for a scary time to take a bath - very slippery with hard edges (although I admit it's quite visually stunning ...). Overall, if you truly enjoy privacy and do not care for a "big hotel chain" feel, and value its central location, you would be happy here. While we find the Keraton is a cut above the aging Mandarin Oriental and Shangri-La, we believe the Ritz-Carlton (there are two: we stayed at Mega Kuningan, but look forward to staying at the Pacific Place), and quite possibly the future St Regis (due 2016) are superlative in quality and service to the Keraton.

Room Tip: Rooms can be quite hot due to the floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall surround glass. Fortunately most...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NigellaCB
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear NigellaCB

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am dlighted that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I apprecaite the feedback that you have provided and we will certianly look into the areas that you have provied us comment on to understand how we can imporve the expereicne for future guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you return to Jakarta.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Pros:

1. Beautiful Rooms with great views
2. Bathroom and Washroom .... amazing
3. Did i mention the great views and the floor to ceiling windows
4. personalized business stationary upon your arrival
5. Fantastic service and response
6. Great food.
7. Great location
8. Great gym
9. The concierge and butler service are very helpful, and are willing to conduct minor errands for you (they fetched diapers for us in the middle of the night, and offered to mail to us some shopping that we could not pick up as it was not ready yet).

Cons:

1. The swimming pool temperature was extremely cold, not enjoyable unless you were born in Sweden and cold water swimming. And hotel guests are not allowed to use the outdoor pool as that is for residents.

Keep up the good work, and please warm up your pool for my next visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear kinoby

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable visit and that the team looked after you so well.

Please let me know when you plan on returning and I will be delighted to assit you with your booking.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Keraton is definitely the best luxury hotel in Jakarta that is located right in city centre, next to various shopping malls, cinemas, restaurants,etc. I have been coming back for couple of time for short visit and each time they never disappoint me and my family. What I love most other than its location in my favourite mall, is its no check out time policy. I could stay in the room up to 11.59 pm, if I wish too without extra charga. Where else can you get such an excellent service?

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear FennyG77

Thank you for your feedbakc on your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that you enjoyed 'Your Own Time' where you could check out as late as you wish with no extra charge.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for two nights in Jakarta. If I could rate this 7 stars, I would. This hotel is discreet, hidden, and the best address in Jakarta. What I like about the Luxury Collection hotels in larger cities is that in general they do not keep expansive lounges, multiple restaurants, and large recreational areas. Instead they focus on the rooms and service which are hard to match. The Keraton at The Plaza is no exception. It has one lounge bar which is beautifully decorated, one restaurant which is exceptional, and a small pool and workout area which is more than adequate. However it is the rooms that put this hotel in another league. I had a junior suite and the room is by far the best equipped and designed room I have ever stayed in. It had full expansive views of the city, was furnished with state of the art modern furniture, had one of the best lighting systems I have ever experienced, and probably the nicest bathroom I have experienced to date. I did not want to leave my shower. The attached pictures do not do the room justice. The design and fittings of this hotel are some of the best I have ever seen. Lastly, the staff are exceptional and cater to your every needs and more. Lauren, the front desk manager made sure the hotel took care of my restaurant, spa, and bookings and arranged all my transportation. The room even had stationery printed with my name on it when I arrived. Additionally, it is connected to the Plaza Indonesia, which is the best mall and shopping center in town which also has some great restaurants. People say that Jakarta is a tough city but between the Keraton Plaza hotel and the Plaza Indonesia mall, I had an amazing two days there. The hotel is no bargain by Asian standards but it is still great value. There are many other 5 star hotels in Jakarta that are similarly priced and do not offer half of what the Keraton at The Plaza offers. Leaving this hotel was very tough. If I am back in Jakarta, this hotel is where I will be staying. Note: I recommend electing the hotel BMW’s for airport transfers. Given the Jakarta traffic, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Elect the junior suite or higher. The views of the city are magnificent
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank sfasiantraveller
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Dear sf_asiantraveller

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the room, shower and the service so much. It is rewarding for the team to receive this feedback.

It is very pleasing to hear that Lauren and the team took care of your needs and i will certianly be passing this feedback on to them.

Please let me know when you return to Jakarta and I will be delighted to assist you with your booking.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Based on my experiences, staying in a hotel of the Luxury Collection Hotel chain is always a good choice. I was glad to choose this pretty new hotel during my stay in Jakarta recently. It has a very good location downtown, central of Jakarta. The hotel is connected to the prestigious shopping centre and entertainment complex. I was over the moon when I saw my room. It was spacious with high ceiling and nice decorations. You feel more like in your own bed-room rather than in a hotel-room. The hotel front office and concierge staff were all very friendly and helpful. Keraton is a Javanese word, it means Palace. This hotel deserves its name! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Higher floor is better.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Rency Z

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. i am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the room and it did indeed feel like you were styasing in your own Palace.

Please let me know when you plan to return and I will be delighted to assit you with your booking.