“Palatial sanctuary in a chaotic megalopolis”

Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #9 of 463 Hotels in Jakarta
Sacramento, California
“Palatial sanctuary in a chaotic megalopolis”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I agree with most of the reviewers that the Keraton at the Plaza (referring to Plaza Indonesia, a high-end shopping mall adjacent to the hotel) is probably one of the best luxurious hotels in Jakarta. Spacious room with great coffee and tea selection, neat lighting and automated window shutter, high tech toilet (albeit a lesser "American Standard", not "Toto") and plenty of bathroom amenities. We stayed in their corner suite with expansive views of the sprawling metropolis, including its "kampung" (slum areas with open sewage canals) clearly visible from our 15th floor room. Which brings us to three disappointing negatives: 1. as aforementioned by several reviewers (without direct response to the issue by the management!), there is a persistent sewer smell in the bathroom that seems to penetrate most high rise buildings in Indonesia - but clearly a problem that can be addressed especially in a 5-star property such as this, 2. the decor is somewhat stark minimalism and rather "cold", but what is more disturbing is the quality of the craftmanship for a hotel this young to already reflect wear and tear; personalized stationery is a nice touch, however again its quality is below average, 3. the designers certainly were not concerned about older guests as the choice of material in the bathroom (consistent with the interior theme) makes for a scary time to take a bath - very slippery with hard edges (although I admit it's quite visually stunning ...). Overall, if you truly enjoy privacy and do not care for a "big hotel chain" feel, and value its central location, you would be happy here. While we find the Keraton is a cut above the aging Mandarin Oriental and Shangri-La, we believe the Ritz-Carlton (there are two: we stayed at Mega Kuningan, but look forward to staying at the Pacific Place), and quite possibly the future St Regis (due 2016) are superlative in quality and service to the Keraton.

Room Tip: Rooms can be quite hot due to the floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall surround glass. Fortunately most...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NigellaCB
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear NigellaCB

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am dlighted that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I apprecaite the feedback that you have provided and we will certianly look into the areas that you have provied us comment on to understand how we can imporve the expereicne for future guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you return to Jakarta.

Giles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Pros:

1. Beautiful Rooms with great views
2. Bathroom and Washroom .... amazing
3. Did i mention the great views and the floor to ceiling windows
4. personalized business stationary upon your arrival
5. Fantastic service and response
6. Great food.
7. Great location
8. Great gym
9. The concierge and butler service are very helpful, and are willing to conduct minor errands for you (they fetched diapers for us in the middle of the night, and offered to mail to us some shopping that we could not pick up as it was not ready yet).

Cons:

1. The swimming pool temperature was extremely cold, not enjoyable unless you were born in Sweden and cold water swimming. And hotel guests are not allowed to use the outdoor pool as that is for residents.

Keep up the good work, and please warm up your pool for my next visit.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear kinoby

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable visit and that the team looked after you so well.

Please let me know when you plan on returning and I will be delighted to assit you with your booking.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Keraton is definitely the best luxury hotel in Jakarta that is located right in city centre, next to various shopping malls, cinemas, restaurants,etc. I have been coming back for couple of time for short visit and each time they never disappoint me and my family. What I love most other than its location in my favourite mall, is its no check out time policy. I could stay in the room up to 11.59 pm, if I wish too without extra charga. Where else can you get such an excellent service?

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear FennyG77

Thank you for your feedbakc on your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that you enjoyed 'Your Own Time' where you could check out as late as you wish with no extra charge.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for two nights in Jakarta. If I could rate this 7 stars, I would. This hotel is discreet, hidden, and the best address in Jakarta. What I like about the Luxury Collection hotels in larger cities is that in general they do not keep expansive lounges, multiple restaurants, and large recreational areas. Instead they focus on the rooms and service which are hard to match. The Keraton at The Plaza is no exception. It has one lounge bar which is beautifully decorated, one restaurant which is exceptional, and a small pool and workout area which is more than adequate. However it is the rooms that put this hotel in another league. I had a junior suite and the room is by far the best equipped and designed room I have ever stayed in. It had full expansive views of the city, was furnished with state of the art modern furniture, had one of the best lighting systems I have ever experienced, and probably the nicest bathroom I have experienced to date. I did not want to leave my shower. The attached pictures do not do the room justice. The design and fittings of this hotel are some of the best I have ever seen. Lastly, the staff are exceptional and cater to your every needs and more. Lauren, the front desk manager made sure the hotel took care of my restaurant, spa, and bookings and arranged all my transportation. The room even had stationery printed with my name on it when I arrived. Additionally, it is connected to the Plaza Indonesia, which is the best mall and shopping center in town which also has some great restaurants. People say that Jakarta is a tough city but between the Keraton Plaza hotel and the Plaza Indonesia mall, I had an amazing two days there. The hotel is no bargain by Asian standards but it is still great value. There are many other 5 star hotels in Jakarta that are similarly priced and do not offer half of what the Keraton at The Plaza offers. Leaving this hotel was very tough. If I am back in Jakarta, this hotel is where I will be staying. Note: I recommend electing the hotel BMW’s for airport transfers. Given the Jakarta traffic, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Elect the junior suite or higher. The views of the city are magnificent
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank sfasiantraveller
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear sf_asiantraveller

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the room, shower and the service so much. It is rewarding for the team to receive this feedback.

It is very pleasing to hear that Lauren and the team took care of your needs and i will certianly be passing this feedback on to them.

Please let me know when you return to Jakarta and I will be delighted to assist you with your booking.

Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Based on my experiences, staying in a hotel of the Luxury Collection Hotel chain is always a good choice. I was glad to choose this pretty new hotel during my stay in Jakarta recently. It has a very good location downtown, central of Jakarta. The hotel is connected to the prestigious shopping centre and entertainment complex. I was over the moon when I saw my room. It was spacious with high ceiling and nice decorations. You feel more like in your own bed-room rather than in a hotel-room. The hotel front office and concierge staff were all very friendly and helpful. Keraton is a Javanese word, it means Palace. This hotel deserves its name! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Higher floor is better.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Rency Z

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. i am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the room and it did indeed feel like you were styasing in your own Palace.

Please let me know when you plan to return and I will be delighted to assit you with your booking.

Germany
Reviewed December 9, 2013

The hotel is absolutely amazing. Genuine friendly staff which is uncomparable in city hotels. The rooms are spacious and with good view on smogged Jakarta. The bathroom comes with douche and bath. Next to hotel there is a shopping mall.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear German_Herman100

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff genuniely caring for you, this feedback is very rewarding to hear.

Please let me know when you return to Jakarta and I will be delighted to assit you with your booking.

jakarta
Reviewed November 24, 2013

the best location for our 2 years old daughter since she loves P.I Miniapolis.

everything you would expect from a Luxury Collection hotel (more & less)

more:
- one of the best hotel gym, if not the best, that I've ever tried (city hotel)
- service & genuine smiles from the staffs is second to none for a hotel in Jakarta
- extra touches, like putting on my favorite music genre & adjusting the room temp to my preference, extra Nespresso pods & TWG tea-bags for our favorite hot beverages.
- I stayed in a few St.Regis hotels & resorts but none of them gave personal touches as detailed as this hotel.

less:
- sewer smell from the toilet that just wouldn't go away, nothing too strong but certainly not what you would expect from this hotel

Ms. Lauren Holly - Front Office Manager
very commendable for her hospitality. She greeted us on check-in & gave our daughter a teddy bear on check-out (she wanted to give earlier but our room had the don't disturb light turned on most of the time)

small confusion regarding the booking but was quickly solved

requested a few extras to surprise my wife because this was to celebrate our wedding anniversary & they did everything & more, by adding rose petals in the bathtub & room floor

truly satisfied & 100% will return. From now on, this hotel might even be our no.1 choice for anniversary sleep over.

Room Tip: "enhanced" rooms have better views because they are not obstructed by the Plaza office bui...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear PoHib

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay and you apprecaited the extra touches that we offer to all of our guests to make the stay as personal as possible.

I will certianly pass on your feedback to Lauren.

It is pleasing for the team to know that your wife enjoyed your wedding anniversary surprises and that we are now your preferred hotel in Jakarta.

Please let me know when you plan on retunring and I will be delighted to assit you with your booking.