“A Mistake That Will Never Be Repeated!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Avissa Suites

Avissa Suites
Ranked #112 of 459 Hotels in Jakarta
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
“A Mistake That Will Never Be Repeated!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

I may forget my anniversary date, I may forget my own name, but I will never forget what happened to us during our three night stay at Avissa Suites this past weekend. After staying at hundreds of nights in hotels in my life, Avissa will be memorable thorn in my buttocks.

We arrived at 4pm to check-in into our two rooms (there were four of us: two couples). Avissa is located centrally in Jakarta and looks like a fairly decent looking establishment from the outside. The first surprise: there was no electricity in the hotel. This is the first time I have experienced a hotel with no electricity. Their computers were off, the air was hot and stagnant (air-conditioning is a must in Jakarta), and the elevators were silent. We were told that we cannot check-in because their computers had no electricity. Have they not heard of back-up power? (batteries for their computers and diesel generators for the rest). We asked how long we'll have to wait. We were told "1 or more hours". Sweaty and tired, we crossed the street and went into the Circle-K (small convenience store). Our plans for the day were ruined (our plans called for us to shower and get ready during Jakarta's notorious rush-hour).

Upon entering Circle-K, we were bathed with cold air from the powerful air-conditioning. Circle-K, which is DIRECTLY across the street (a spit-throw away from Avissa), had electricity but this 7-story modern hotel (Avissa) did not! Surprising!

After the long wait, the electricity came back, and instead of being offered compensation and apologies (cheap and easy to do for a hotel), we were forced to ask for it. They upgraded our rooms to the suites (which, I believe are about $10 more than the rooms we paid for). We were happy about this. They said that they can't guarantee the suites for the remaining stay (we were staying a total of 3 nights). I checked on Avissa's website (their reservation system), and they had several suite rooms available. We assumed they had not been booked and we'd be good to go.

The next evening, while outside, we got a phone call at around midnight. The man on the phone identified himself as the manager of Avissa. He told us that they have taken the liberty to move all the belongings of one of the rooms into the other room! We were NEVER asked for permission. We were NEVER even warned! We were simply being called by a man that thought it was perfectly okay to move a customer's unpacked belongings from one room into another! We were livid with anger! Our toothbrushes, underwear, clothes, and shopping were mixed with our friend's (the other couple) in THEIR room! How embarrassing!

We arrived back at around 1 AM and were told that due to a previous booking, they had taken away one of our suite rooms! I immediately showed the man at the reception that Avissa had suite rooms available for booking on their website. He lied that the system takes months to update. In fact, the system is live and even shows how many rooms are available this very moment! Playing along with his lie, we asked him what he'd do if a customer booked on their website right now and they had no suite rooms available. He said that Avissa would purchase an equivalent room in another hotel nearby. Never in my life have I heard hotel staff lie to my face this way. The man simply refused to give us our room back, and we received no apology for our things to be moved without our permission! We were given a smaller room instead. So, at 2 AM in the morning, we entered our friend's room, sorted and packed our things and moved from their room to our new room. I booked this hotel for all of us, and I felt embarrassed to put them through this ordeal as well.

The next day, a giant cockroach appeared on the wall in our room. We called the reception. A guy showed up with bug spray. He spent about 15 minutes trying to actually find the cockroach (which, by now, had hidden). He didn't find the cockroach, so he left without spraying.

The toilets smelled like feces in both rooms. The air-conditioning was too dry in one room and not strong enough in the other room. We were only given single keys for each room (so my wife had to wake me up from my sleep after returning from breakfast, so I can open the door). This is, of course, to save electricity when guests aren't in the rooms.

Finally, on the last day, we were called by reception in our room. They demanded we pay the full cost for one of the rooms (which they had upgraded upon our arrival). Absurd! After all we have been through: the lack of electricity when we arrived, moving of all our things without our permission, and no apologies, they actually had the guts to ask for the extra $30. We were shocked and quite angry. Upon checking out, we explained how unethical and unprofessional their actions were. They decided to drop their demand for us to pay for the upgraded room.

This is the last time we will stay in Avissa. The only recommendation I can give to anybody traveling to Jakarta is to avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
14 Thank W13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Tehran
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

Modern,new,kindly stuff but poor breakfast. Clean ,frindly place
Near to central and good location but old and dirty street totality is good

• Stayed March 2012
Siem Reap, Cambodia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

* Location: close to several shopping malls and also close to numerous business centers.
* Check-in: The lady was not giving us the attention I expect upon check-in. We had to ask for information which should normally be given by front office automatically. However, when we returned in the hotel later that evening we found a different lady at the front office, her attention compensated our experience from that afternoon.
* Rooms: rooms look very nice and clean. Only point of criticism is that there was mold in one corner of the bathroom ceiling.
* Overall: I would recommend this hotel to everyone who needs a comfort place to spend the night in a strategic location.
* Tip: the smoking area at the 7th floor is a nice place!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple