“Red velvet cake is a must 😜”

Union Plaza Senayan
Ranked #4,898 of 8,160 Restaurants in Jakarta
Cuisines: American, Asian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Located in Plaza Senayan Union is my regular haunt
Consistently good food nice service and ambience Get busy book or be prepared to wait definitely 8 out of 10

Reviewed December 11, 2013

I was recommended to go to Union and I was finally taken there by my cousin. She always like these trendy spots. Decor seems a bit like Social house in Grand Indonesia, but more cramped and loud. Less sophistication would draw the younger crowd in I guess..

This place seems to be quite happening(i went to the Plaza Senayan one and not the PIM one). It was full where reservations is a must. I had to wait at the bar for 20 minutes at 2 pm. Thats off luch hours to me. During my whole stay it stayed packed somehow. Matter of fact on the table was a card that states this table will be only available for yoyu for a 2 hour period. Than you had to leave.

The crowd says it all. Some westerners , but most of the crowd are the affluent locals.With to my eyes a disporportionate number of females. And they are gorgeous and all dressed up to the max. As a guy you won't believe the eyecandy available. Not sure how often it is or that I am just lucky that afternoon.

Anyway it's no wonder they are affluent, because pricewise it's at the top of the jakarta mall restaurants. Our bill for 2 came in at about 400k per person. And I was not even eating much because of dinner engagement later in the evening at The Mulia.

We chose to share our lunch. The menu looks really appetizing. So much great items.Wagyu, Foie gras, Scallops. Awesome. But of course i notice that with these places it's always better on paper than on your plate.

Starting with calamaris and for mains we chose a turkey roast.Just thanksgiving. Didnt look great but once served surpisingly tasty and well presented. I ordered the scallops aglio e olia pasta. Dissappointing. Scallops was dry. Such a waste. Seems the grilled meats come highly recommended. But for the price..i was not confident enough to order a rather expensive steak here. I remember the wagyu burger debacle in social house. But with it's US background...maybe sticking to the US style dishes is the best bet.

The star of the restaurants seems to be the freshly made cakes and donuts.
Nothing subtle about them...huge slices of cake.American style. Not like the french pattiserie cakes. And the donuts seems to be gigantic. All fresh. And it seems so popular...ordering them asap is a good idea if you don't want to end up with out. We shared a salt chocolate cake and the red velvet cake. Quite good, but it's a huge dessert. 1 cake can easily be shared by two imo. I was stuffed.

Some more funny quirks,. i sat near the window and the AC was blowing hard. it was icecold. I guess reading teh reviews the management did listen to the complaints of the customers about it being hot near the windows.
Just before 4 pm they opened the windows to make it al fresco. Set between two buildings there was plenty of wind and it was surprisingly not unpleasant. And if you wonder about the pollution, not really noticeble because people started to smoke all over the place. between the air pollution and the smokers it's a wash. But be warned if you are sensitive to this that an early lunch is your best bet. Wow the luxury of a smoke free environment, how easy to get used to that.

Anyway this is quite happening place and for now very busy and hip.(of course as long as it lasts..in jakarta new hot spots rises up everyday) Super enjoyable if you have the deep pockets and like to people watch. Seeing how the well to do of jakarta enjoy their lifestyles.

2  Thank tan1415
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Went here with my friends last night. The place is located on the ground floor Plaza Senayan, beside Starbucks Coffee. The restaurant offers a glimpse view of Jakarta's amazingly ridiculous traffic jam while enjoying your meals.

The place is really crowded especially on weekend. You might have to wait 50-70 minutes to get a table. Also you also have to leave after approximately 2 hours before they ask you to leave since there are people waiting for you to leave so they can have their meal. I find this ridiculous but at the same time I kinda understand the situation so I was okay with that.

They have a lunch menu but we went there for our dinner. For the appetizers (or more like side snacks, I would say) I tried the calamari which is okay and kinda average.

I tried salmon and spinach ravioli for the main dish. I forgot to take picture but it had a slightly poor presentation but really good texture and the combination of spinach and salmon makes it really chewy and vibrant in my mouth. Was pretty dissapointed because the serving is kinda little for an entreé (or probably I was just too hungry).
Also tried the chocolate souffle and I love how it taste because it's got a crisp texture on the surface and it is also served with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream to complement the deliciousness of the souffle. Definitely need to try this.

We also kinda had to wait for a long time for our dish. Might be a problem for you who do not like to wait but we were chatting quite a lot so waiting does not seem to be a problem.

The pricing is okay. I thought it was fair. Overall I enjoy the place and would definitely come here again.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

came here with friends and enjoyed every bits of it. The long waiting line paid off by the good food. The steak was great the soup very tasty. The chocolate cake was good. The 1.5 hours time we had was great...service quick and great. Definitely comeback....

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

I went there for a family meeting based on my sister in law's request. The arrival experience was actually excellent. I arrived at around 2.50PM but it was packed and the greeter politely placed me in a waiting list. Then she escorted us to a nice table, the order taking was also efficient. honestly I was hesitate to have a meeting here because I heard a lot of bad reviews on their service. After this flawless arrival experience, I thought they've improved. But then I ordered a flaky doughnut, which famously known as cronut. As someone who worked in a hotel industry I had certain expectations when I visit a place like this. The cronut was placed on a dirty plate, either it was a used plate or it wasn't washed properly. I raised a complaint to the waiter, then he apologized and gave me a new clean plate without offering to change the cronut or offered additional assistance. I had to move the cronut to the new plate myself ! Do you think I want to eat it after it was placed on a dirty plate ?! Then, a family's friend came to join us, when she fell in front of our table because the floor was slippery. Surprisingly no one apologized until we finished with everything. it was a terrible experience and it's enough to make me not to visit this place again. This happened in Union Plaza Senayan on Thursday, 14th November 2013. I hope this review is useful for everyone who plan to visit this place. If they don't care for their customer who slip and fall..how can you expect that they also care about their food quality, hygiene and etc ?

2  Thank shopaholic902