“Good food - little else”
Review of Tapas Movida - CLOSED

Tapas Movida
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Good food - little else”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Been here on two occasions in as many months. No doubt the food is very good and for that it gets 4 stars. The rest is all round mediocre - apathetic waitresses chit chatting with fellow staff, but hardly exchanged a word with us. Would be good to have the menu explained to novices. The smoking section outside is rather uninspiring with uncomfortable seating. For the food it's worth a repeat visit.

1 Thank Herbert1234

• Indonesian first
“Good solid performance”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Good lively atmosphere. Good selection on menu. Chef comes out to say hello, which is nice touch. Will come back again

1 Thank Dwi_and_Luke
Jakarta, Indonesia
“It's okay but it's not mind blowing”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

It was a calm and quiet restaurant, probably because it's still new but I didn't mind it. We were greeted by friendly waiters. They helped us decide the menu, too. We came here to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary and I chose this restaurant as I've been dying to drink Sangria. They serve a tall jug of Sangria which I didn't think it as strong enough. The waiter then excused himself to fix the sangria to fix the sangria to make it tastier but it just failed.

Later on the owner came to us and argued that Sangria is a farmer's drink so it's not supposed to be strong. He said I got the wrong introduction of the taste of Sangria where people just added as much alcohol as they wanted to get people drunk. I didn't know that much of Sangria so I thanked him for the knowledge.

The parmaham was good, I liked it but my husband said it was a bit too salty. However the baguette-like bread was not too good. It wasn't tasty,. I suspected because they can't find the correct cereals or ingredients to make good bread so I didn't finish it. But they served this shrimp with butter and oregano (I guess, I don't know), it tasted just nice though I'd prefer fresh and juicy shrimp but the one they served was okay. And one thing, the price is a bit too expensive for the non mind-blowing food they serve.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank Dora1404
jakarta
“Finally!! a tapas restaurant in Jakarta”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Finally! a restaurant dedicated to serve spanish tapas in Jakarta.. and.. they serve JAMON!!!! For you pork eaters, this is the mother of all ham, of all cured meat if I must say so. Eventhough it cost more, do go for the Jamon Iberico (cured leg of black pig) it's life changing. The paella and sangria is a must try. For dessert, i reccomend the crema catalana, didn't manage to try the churros but it sounded very tempting.

The chef/owner is super friendly. the last time I went there, he gave me lots of tasters. He took the time to go around all the tables and chat to everyone. Love the classic spanish ambience, the candle holder made out of recycled empty wine bottles are a nice touch.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank sweetTooth21
jakarta
“Paella is a a must-order item.”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I've been there a couple of times now. It is better to go for dinners for the atmosphere. Place is quite cozy with indirect lightings and spanish wall decors, exposed wooden ceilings and seat abt 50 guests including the outdoor tables. The paella is well worth it and packs lots of flavor as spanish food should (highly recommended), served on the pan, it came with shrimps, chicken and beef, it will satisfy 4 adults easy.

The sangria is too sweet for my taste (must remind them to not use sugar the next time I'm there). Tapas is v reasonably priced but I must say on the taste front it lacks the special kick needed to make it stand out. The selection is quite varied and an order of 5 tapas really was enough for my wife and I to call it a dinner that night.

• Visited September 2011