“Walking distance to important spots”

MaxOneHotels at Sabang
Ranked #126 of 461 Hotels in Jakarta
Izmir, Turkey
“Walking distance to important spots”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We dont like Jakarta at all. Traffic jam, so many people, so many motor cycle...etc. But it is capital so we wanted to see it. I dont think i will never go back there :) In my opinion location of MaxOneHotel Sabang is ok because it is really close to all important spots such as National Monument, National Museum, Istiqlal Mosque, Cathedral...etc and u can reach them by walking. It was good for us. Also the hotel is located between two stops of transJakarta. On the left side Sarinah and the right side Bank Indonesia but for sure u need to go main road. It takes nearly 10 minutes... So you can take bus where you wanna go. According to comments on web about transJakarta, you can easily think it is modern transportation :) But sorry guys it is not :) I live in China so I get used to some interesting transportation ways so it was not problem for me :) May be it will be for you :) We didnt prefer go outside at nights because at nights hotel environment doesnt look safe to us anyway we couldnt find anything to do at night in Jakarta cuz we just went there for historical places and worth to see spots not for its nightlife. So I dont have any idea about its night life. If you can eat sth on street you can easily enjoy the environment cuz there are so many places to eat. I can recommend one thing. At first time it seemed disgusting to me but then we decided to try it. I am 100% sure you will see it. It is nearly round stuff and in the middle of it there is sth green :) And it is delicious, you should try it... It is just a cake :) On the main road there are starbucks, burgerking, mcdonalds...etc. So location is ok. Our room was really cute and clean but it was really small. They have hot water really hot one :) If you want, everyday they clean your room but they dont change towels everyday. Tv has so many channel so you can enjoy :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Abuja, Nigeria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We needed 1 nights accommodation following our flight from hong kong and decided to try out the max one hotel for its value price and central location...Unfortunately, having now tried the hotel, i can say that this was a mistake and not value for money at all.

I accept that when we paid US$25 a night that we will not get 5 star luxury, however as a minimum i do expect a room to be quiet and clean. As can be seen from my pictures, the room at the Max one was neither..

Pros:

1) The hotel is nicely designed, and fairly stylish....however it is a case of all style and no substance.

2) The reception staff were polite.

Cons:

1) The room is small, smelly, and in very poor condition.

2) The hallway tot eh room is outside/open and the hotel is on a busy road. Subsequently the noise all through the night is so loud, and it feels like you are trying to sleep on the road outside.

3) The walls and/or door must be so thin, because you can hear other guests coming and going.

4)The area outside the hotel is not the cleanest or most welcoming place. I know the area so had my eyes and ears open at all times,however i would say it could be an intimidating place for the uninitiated or inexperienced Jakarta traveler!

5) The Wifi in the room didnt work.

6) For the cheap price, it just wasnt value for money. For a few pounds more, we could have stayed at a decent 4 star hotel nearby....we learnt the hard way!

7) I would not recommend the coffee shop. The cost of 2 coffees and croissant came to over RP100,000. When i told my (indonesian) wife she thought i had been cheated and went to complain...only to realise that this was the price... this is very expensive.

Summary:

For one night it was just about bearable, but i wouldnt ever go back. It gets 2 stars, only because if you are just looking for a cheap bed for the night then it does the job. If you are looking for anything else, such as comfort or cleanliness, then it is not up to scratch.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Arfan M, Manager at MaxOneHotels at Sabang, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hi Grant_vera.

It seems that u had a hard time @ Max and we felt terribly sorry! The room that you have stayed in is actually on our job list for renovation. Please give us the opportunity to redeem our mistakes!

Please drop me an email so I can contact you personally.

Many thanks.
Best Regards

Travelers are raving about these Jakarta hotels

Seoul
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

room is tooo small, service is toooooooooooo slow!!!!!
wait massager over 2 hours even I made reservation & got confirmation
they didn't even make notice about the late arrival of massager!!!!!
cafe inside hotel couldn't serve fresh juice due to short of ingredient!!!!!

wi-fi doesn't work well
I've tried to connect to a wifi signal it says connected but can't open website
never ever stay here again!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Minjeong K
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights. For a budget hotel it's great value. Having stayed at other budget hotels around the area, I'd say even though the rooms are small, it's near to eating places downstairs, and within 20min walk to the shopping paradise in Plaza Indonesia and the like. Service is acceptable but fair for the price. Wifi getting logged out after 15min of inactivity is annoying but at least the reception is pretty good. Overall I would definitely recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
Big Pine Key, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Maxone for 3 days and the first time I walked it had this old cigarette smell even though there was no smoking sign. The hotel staff was nice and I really liked the design of the hotel. My room was very small but perfect for a solo traveller, it needed some finishing some of the craftsmanship was subpar. It looks like they rushed to finish the hotel and some of the walls just really need to be fixed. If I ever had my aircon off you could smell cigarette smoke which was a little disgusting and for some reason my key card kept getting deactivated (I kept it away from my phone, I put it in my wallet, I even put it in my pocket and it would deactivate, at least you had to use the key to use the elevator so I was already downstairs when it wasn't working). The bed was big and comfy, the bathroom was nice, and the wifi was spotty a most. The location of the hotel is great it is a 5 to 10 minute walk to the national monument. There is a lot of restaurants on the street and shopping centers are a couple of minutes away. Also there are loads of taxis so it is easy to g to other parts of the city but beware of the traffic it is absolutely horrible in Jakarta.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Jakarta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

It positions itself as "smart" hotel, the same with Amaris and the likes. But with a more expensive price and even smaller room, i do not see max one will flourish even farther to be a market leader etc. Great location that is all. Service is mediocre to low. No spirit shown by the staffs. Looks like they hate their job or something like that. But for food lovers, you cannot get any better than this. Just beside the hotel, hawkers lining up. In Sabang road, culinary lovers' heaven. It is also good for travellers who love shopping, as it is within a walking distance to Sarinah, few minutes by taxi to Grand Indonesia, Plaza Indonesia.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Arfan M, General Manager at MaxOneHotels at Sabang, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Alvin ,
Max Greet You Well !

Thank you for your constructive inputs , but we have proven to be the better ones in its class comparing to other hotel brands of its class . As for you comment in " not flourishing" even further, we have grown with 3 hotels within 2 years and 12 hotels opening in just 2 years . I believed we can be the market leader . However , its unfortunate fo you to have encounter such experience with Max . Maybe I can invite you to lunch ??

Best Regards,
M Arfan
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had a nice stay at the MaxOne hotel. The rooms are small, but has everything that's needed. The bathroom is clean and it has a perfect working "Grohe" rainshower. The bed is very comfortable! The bed has two hard pillows and two soft pillows, so it's nice that you can choose what suits you best. The WIFI in the room worked great, except when you are inactive for like 15 minutes, you have have to log in again. We also had a room that was on the busy roadside, and the rooms are not that good isolated for outside noise, so ask for a room as far away from the road and the elevator. The hotel has a café, mini-mart, and two atm's.
The hotel also has a computer in the lobby for guests, downside to that is they do not have printer. For the hotel management maybe something to consider, would be handy if guests want to print their airline e-tickets.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not close to the roadside and the elevator.