Best Western Mangga Dua Hotel and Residence
  • Breakfast included
$122
$105
  • Pool
All reviewsmongolian bbqrestaurant food was goodnight stay at this hotelexercise bikea free room upgradeindoor swimming poolterima kasihstar hotelwater dispenserhotel is greatbig roomcity viewbuffet breakfastchoose this hotelmany choicesearly checkaffordable price
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Being new to this property, it became a last minute decision on my part as the rest of the group members had already decided on the place. It was early December 2011, right in the middle of the rainy spell which resulted in sporadic floodings aroung mangga dua and besar. Location wise, not the perfect choice, but again, talking about jakarta, one has to be specific and focus as to the geographical considerations of the city. The plus points however are the spacious rooms and excellent service provided. Attended an absolutely fantastic wedding reception at kemayoran. May consider this property again....

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Budiman_6600
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I picked the BW Mangga Dua hotel as the base for my four-day visit to Jakarta because it is not too far from the old town (Batavia), which is the only thing I really wanted to see in Jakarta. Also, it was priced competitively in comparison with similar four-star hotels in the area.

The hotel has an airport pick-up service that cost only IDR 250,000 (about 20 euros). I took advantage of this and it worked perfectly. Very convenient.

The hotel has a suitably impressive reception area. The hotel rooms are found on floors 27 to 33 of a high rise. So each room has a great view of the city of Jakarta.

Right from the get-go I found the Indonesian staff to be incredibly friendly and polite.

I had a deluxe room. I was bowled over with how large and nice it was. Good beds. Nice large bathroom. Suitable bathroom goodies. Proper TV with a sufficient (but not huge) number of English TV stations. Free water. Coffee maker. Fridge. Safe.

My first room was connected by a door to a noisy family and also had a problem with wind whistling through the balcony door. Switching rooms was no problem.

Waiting for lifts is an issue at this hotel.

The breakfast buffet was fairly decent, although not as luxurious as I’ve seen at some other hotels. They had an egg station, various dishes (western and Asian), fresh fruit, coffee, etc. There were a lot of kids in the breakfast room. I was here during the holiday season so perhaps that’s why there were quite a few local families. I saw only a handful of westerners while staying at this hotel.

The pool is big enough to do laps (about 30 metres long). However, when I was there during the holiday season the pool was very popular, perhaps being the only place kids could hang out. The only time I could get my laps in was round 6 to 7 AM. The gym has four or five machines, enough to do a light maintenance workout but not enough for a proper workout. No bench press or smith machine. There is a more substantial gym at the Novotel at Mangga Dua Square. Indeed, if working out is important to you, I advise you to consider staying there because of their facilities (however it is more expensive).

“Mangga Dua” means “Two Mangos”, the name of the area in which this hotel is located. The hotel compound is located on a side street in this area without anything really connecting to it. As soon as you leave this huge expensive hotel, you’re dealing with the nitty-gritty of the streets of Jakarta. You will immediately come face to face with Jakarta’s poverty and pollution. I had never been to Indonesia (not even Bali) so I was a little unprepared for this.

The hotel is on a side street, but once you get on the main road you’re in the middle of intense traffic. This was the worse traffic I’ve ever seen. Many of Jakarta’s streets lack the pedestrian facilities to make walking easy (or even possible at times). Many of the streets don’t have sidewalks at all. Those that do often have sidewalks that are too narrow and crumbling. If you go on holiday to get away from the stress of traffic, don’t even think of coming to Indonesia.

Fortunately the hotel has a free shuttle bus going to several malls in the area, particularly Mangga Dua Square. It’s not far, but even this short trip is a traffic nightmare. I was told this was the best mall in the area. However, this was not the shiny upscale mall I had seen in Singapore and was sort of expecting here. It had stands and stalls rather than shops. There were a few restaurants there though. Is this really one of Jakarta’s best malls?

I started my visit to Batavia by taking a cab from the hotel to Kota Station. I have a psychological block about paying for taxis, but there is no other way to do it in Jakarta. When we got to Kota, the cab charged me an IDR 30,000 minimum, even though the meter said less than that. This was only something like EUR 2.50. To avoid misunderstanding, if you’re planning to take a short taxi ride, be sure to ask about a minimum charge.

The traffic around Kota station in Jakarta is horrendous and the whole area is desperate and run down, but from here you can start on your walking tour of old Batavia. Sadly, there’s not much left of it. What is left is quite run down and even in ruins. There are still a few interesting things to see though and you can do it all on foot (if you’re very careful and willing to see some of Jakarta’s desperate corners). Make sure to have lunch at the Café Batavia on Fatahillah Square. I went all the way to the port, but the pollution there was dreadful. I’ve never seen a more polluted city in my life.

You might think of staying at the Novotel Mangga Dua if you’re going to stay in this area because it has better fitness facilities and is directly attached to the Mangga Dua Square; however, if you’re on a budget, you couldn’t get more value for your money than by staying at this nice hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank zwerf
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Nice clean but small room in high rise tower hotel. Free Internet access offered in room with cable. The malls are at walking distance, even if staff only offers car rides. Location is in the middle of small road maze. Airport transportation available by hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank VDiver
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Good place near shopping mall and many Jakarta attraction area. Good place 4 a day trip and good buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Butubar
Reviewed October 5, 2011

i've got cheap weekend price for the superior hotel. the hotel has a good pool, my child love it. it also very near to the famous mangga dua shopping area. the room is clean and i love the bed coz' i had a good sleep. the bathroom has no bath tub, but very clean with modern style. the breakfast is worth for the hotel value. so i will be back for sure.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank mamaingrid
TaufikJakarta, General Manager at Best Western Mangga Dua Hotel and Residence, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2011

Dear Mrs. Mama Ingrid,

Warmest Greetings from Best Western Mangga Dua Hotel & Residence Jakarta..!!

First of all, I would like to Thank you for you comment regarding your recent stay at our property.

It is a great pleasure for all of us to have you staying with us. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide a comment for our property. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand.

Muhammad Taufik