“Good hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #198 of 453 Hotels in Jakarta
Singapore, Singapore
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed in this hotel as I'm catching my flight the next morning. Superior room is good, equipped with bathtub, nice view of Jakarta, very clean but there's a funny, slightly pungent smell coming from the bathroom probably due to the tiles. Since it was the last day of my trip in Jakarta, I opted for the in-room spa (about Rp 350.000 for the spa). It's a 3 hour divine spa consisting of facial, body scrub, full body massage and milk bath all in the comfort of my room. The spa itself is very relaxing and soothe my tired muscles. I'm a happy girl!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
cemarahotel, General Manager at Cemara Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2015
Dear Value Guest:

Thank you for choosing our Hotel as your accomodation in Jakarta, Indonesia
We appreciate you comment.
Just to update you that we just finished renovating our Rooms and upgraded our Wifi Bandwidth to ensure that every guest feels comfy staying with us. Also we have shuttle service to surrounding Shopping district such as Sarinah, Jalan Sabang, Tanah Abang, Grand Indonesia Shopping Center and Plaza Indonesia. Our Location is in the Central that you can easily go anywhere with less traffic.

Thank you and Hope to see you soon in the future.

Warm Regards,

Cemara Hotel Group

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Vero Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed here after other lodging choices were full and I needed a room without further delay. The cost was 680,000 rupiah for one night, including breakfast (the buffet-style breakfast is superb). The hotel is fine, but very overpriced. Staff is exceptionally friendly and nice. Accepts credit cards. Has a restaurant that is ludicrously overpriced: a Sprite is 25,000 rupiah (you can get five Sprites for that price at the 7-11 located a hundred feet away from the hotel). Room was rather small, but comfortable for one person. The kicker: no hot water in the morning. If you can get this on Agoda for no more than $40, it's acceptable...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Rouen, Haute-Normandie, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Lonely Planet guided us to the Jalan Jaksa area where we started to explore the neighbourhood in search of a hotel for one night only. All hotels and guesthouses on Jaksa were terrible. Just down the road however, on Jalan Wahid Hasyim, you can find a good choice of hotels several standards higher en not necessarily more expensive. We chose Cemara (not Grand Cemara on the same road) and were pleasantly suprised. Nice design, very clean rooms and well equipped. Great bathtub! There is even a small spa. With a suprisingly low roomprice this seems to be a good deal in Jakarta. No free WIFI however. We didn't take breakfast since we had to leave very early. The neighbourhood is quite lively at night, lots of lovely nightstalls selling sate, good restaurants and shops. This will be our spot the next time in Jakarta.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Value Guest:

Thank you for choosing our Hotel as your accomodation in Jakarta, Indonesia
We appreciate you comment.
Just to update you that we just finished renovating our Rooms and upgraded our Wifi Bandwidth and it is free, to ensure that every guest feels comfy staying with us. Also we have shuttle service to surrounding Shopping district such as Sarinah, Jalan Sabang, Tanah Abang, Grand Indonesia Shopping Center and Plaza Indonesia. Our Location is in the Central that you can easily go anywhere with less traffic.

Thank you and Hope to see you soon in the future.

Warm Regards,

Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel located at town area called "Wahid Hasyim". From airport, you can take "Damri" local bus (Rp 20k/pax) to Gambir station and take taxi to the hotel. I've booked 2 family suite (5th floor) for 3 nites in this hotel. The highest floor is 6th floor. I requested a connecting room which they told me that there is none in their hotel when check-in. They requested a deposit of Rp300k for each room. One of the awesome part is they serve cold welcoming drinks at the lobby which is delicious. The room is spacious and comfortable with 2 queen-sized beds for 4 pax. The room is clean and neat. There are actually 4 power plugs in the room, 1 is 3-pin and the rest are 2 rounded-pins. The hotel staff is nice and the housekeeping guys are very polite. The only con for this hotel is they don't offer free wifi. There is a 7-11 just few blocks away from the hotel and a food stall located just opposite the hotel which open at night. The food is nice and reasonable price range around 7k-25k. From hotel, you can get a Blue Bird taxi (Rp 10k) to the nearest shopping complexes such as Plaza Indonesia, Grand Indonesia and also the lower range shopping called Thamrin City.

Room Tip: Try to get higher floor room to avoid traffic noise late night and early morning, room not facing th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mae T
Mui Ne, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Me and my wife took the executive deluxe room and it was really good and quite large. Very well situated in the heart of Jakarta. We book through Agoda and later found out it is without breakfast.
Wifi cost 10 USD. It should be free. Service is good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chi-Thien
Reykjavik, Iceland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

After browsing for sometimes thru different webs and look up reviews and such, so my eyes caught in this property. It's located in the nice area, near by Sarinah Mall and lots of eateries surround this hotel. Let's begin to rate this premises.

It's a LGBT Welcomed..., Great!!!

When I firstly arrive, get off the car, I have been asked by a security,"Do you have Reservation"? And I answer, oh yes I do. Hope the next time I come, I would hear "Good Evening or Good Morning - depending what time, and Welcome To Cemara Hotel", probably this greeting is soother to the ears, don't you think?.
I don't really see the bell boy that opens the door and please watch out your step because it's stairs only, no wheelchair access nor a flat surface so you can drag your suitcase.

I found refreshment at lobby, that's awesome, so I can quench my thirst, and they change the flavors every other 2days seem. I love this, and I think this is such a great value added, I mean plus.

Now at reception, it's quick, I love it too, especially after 28-30hours flying, you just want to have it done in seconds. Most of concierge, they are polite and reserved, we need a little bit twist or loose here so we can be relax a bit and not to serious tho, please.
Give your personal touch just a little bit, y'all will be so awesome.
But overall, they really really try to accommodate you tho, that's a good part.

I observe, from the one that clean the room, the laundry man, and the rest of it, except all security outside. They really try their best to make this hotel proud. Seriously, I'm proud of how they work, it's hard working. They are charming, pleasant and humble, love it..love it love it.

Now, in the room, it's clean and neat, it's AC Window split, so don't complaint, it's not central and the remote is there. The Flat TV, The Refigerator, well..on top of it, some snack to munch or drinks re available in the room for purchase, of course the there is a price gauge there if you compared to buy them outside at the supermarket, hey.. 711 is just right there ..2-3minutes walking.
The toiletries is gonna be stacked and full and replaced daily, they are not stingy for this and that's another positive value added, the bathroom is clean ..just need a little fragrance, that would be perfect. The only thing that I don't really like tho, they are not using curtain for tub but just half glass there to cover. I'm a person that want to be free when shower, so I make a mess with over splash water out of tub...hehehe.
And another thing, the water pressure, sometimes great sometimes it's just disappear like really has no power/pressure.

The bed, well.. I choose a family room, which has 2Queen Beds and I love the bed, it's so comfy and I can sleep pretty well. The pillow has only one type, I mean some hotel have couple different ones in the bed from the soft to firm one. The outlets, can't find nowhere except one over the wall but far away still to reach. I always have something like cellular , iPad , DVD player that sometimes need to be constantly charged tho. And the worst thing is, The Outide Noise, that's a problem right there. I wish this Hotel put more soundsproof so I can enjoy my stay day and nite...aha. And sometimes, dunno why, that you can smell something outdoor burn kind a smell comes to the room.

Now, talking about the price, seriously there are tons and tons of bed and breakfast, motel, hotel, you name them, around this area. And I hope Cemara will also offer the best rate than they are, and I bet this hotel is gonna be full all times.

I never get a chance to try at restaurant, and one of the reason, when you booked this hotel, none of them offering for free or breakfast included tho..., so if just say if it's include the b'fast then finally it's just because of so many add on, then you will pay fortune there...lol. Most foreigners love to have their b'fast included to room rate for convenience tho.

Now, the worst part to rate: W I F I, repeat W I F I, that's right. There's fee for this, I think IDR98,000 (1USD=IDR9,325 depending what kind of bill or notes you have, make sure you bring a crisp, nice, and the years of your $ requested to be the latest tho).
I'm not really impressed with the WiFi service in this hotel, first it's expensive, IDR98,000 is for whole day but they count the wifi starts fom 2pm, so if you order to open the Internet for your mess up hours, so sorry..you are out of luck..lol.
Yes, put it this way, the Internet charge will be added to your room then in any means, you add more $ on top of what you have paid. Especially if you are in business, you will pay lots for your WiFi..here. I hope Cemara hotel will implement free WiFi in the property to attract more peeps. Especially nowadays, it's already WiI equipped tho. And..this is the worst, most of websites that I open are blocked, oh boi.. even my Facebook sometimes won't work well , so this one is pretty much mess me up while I work on my project nor reading some news from some website, it's just nearly impossible for such a high rate or price tho.

Other than mentioned above, everything is great tho.
Oh, forget to mention, never change your $ to local currency at hotel, the rate is awful, just go to Sarinah or nearest Money Exchange so you can get a better rate. And if I'm not mistaken, they request to have deposit for IDR300,000 which I think that's an old style already which now and then it's not a requirement no more in some hotels.

Room Tip: For sure, not to pick up the room that faces to main street, you need an earplug ...so noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank W0rldTravelAdvis0r
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

A safe choice.

The first time I got here it was three stars hotel, but now it's declared a four stars hotel.
The design is quite simple, a small hotel actually. A small swimming pool located in the upper level. I know Cemara is just having a renovation, and it also opens a branch nearby. I visited and made some events here.

What makes this hotel good is its actually the location. It is located in the center of Jakarta. Easily go anywhere, and surrounded by many great restaurants like Tony Romas, Garuda, Pelangi, Samara, Shanghai Blue, Satay Senayan, and Penang Bistro. They are all greats.

Night life is on nearby Jl. Jaksa street. But I wouldn't advice you to go there. Many better attraction are available within few minutes drive from this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business