“Not really smart”
Review of Smart Hotel

Smart Hotel
Ranked #192 of 379 Jakarta B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The reason to stay in this hotel was the location in the central of Jakarta it s just few minutes walking to Bundaran HI, Grand indonesia mall, Plaza indoneisa mall.
I Got room with view u but i to have to pay more than standard that have no view at all.
Room was small but enough for me alone. breakfast just so so no many choice.
They run out towels that time so new towels came after two days stayed.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed for two nights in the Smart Hotel. Our room had a window to the hallway (great) and a dirty bathroom with hairs everywhere, in the morning we heared construction works above us, but we didn´t complain. When we arrived at the next day in the late evening, waterfalls came from the roof into our room. The stuff put our clothes and stuff away from the ground, so it didn´t get wet, but they didn´t put a sign or paper on our door. So we got wet a bit. We went to the reception again and they offered us a new room. Even after complaining they only offered us a discount for the next stay in smart hotel, but no discount for our current stay. So we went to the next room, which was on the same floor as our old room. The bathroom was again dirty and the shower was broken, so we could only wash our hairs when we put our face straight to the wall. We didn´t complain, because we were just tired. Never again Smart Hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marcus T
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Location wise, this hotel is very convenient, just a walking distance to Grand Indonesia & Plaza Indonesia. Not all taxi drivers know about this hotel so you may prepare yourself with complete address & direction. If you stayed for 1 night only, you may want to consider this hotel but I don't think it's convenient if you wanted to stay for more than 1 night. I have problem with the blanket & the towel, they are not really clean for my taste. The bathroom was quite clean though. As any other budgeted hotels, the room size is very small, as well as the lobby. The staffs were helpful enough and they speak English properly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CindyCarolina
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Small hotel in the middle of city of Jakarta. Small lobby..But I think because their sharing space with the Japanese restaurant that located in the lobby. Room is with the basic decoration with queen size bed, small table and small wardrobe with no rack ( or should i say it's a very small partition at the conner of the room). And the bathroom small but clean with all the amenities. Our room without window, and I aware of this..so i feel fine. Wifi connection also very good. But the problem with this hotel was it's very noisy... When other guest open their door or walking you can hear the sound from your room very clear..Soo clear..in fact some time i felt people tried to open our door. Our room come with breakfast, unfortunately the breakfast not up to the standard of the hotel should have... Most of the food finish even for the coffee and tea! They will refill but in the small amount of food. All the guest have to get ready at the buffet counter to get their breakfast or otherwise it will be finish by then...Funny! Location of the hotel to the Grand Indonesia for walking distance only in 10 minutes. Staff of the hotel is polite and friendly. They will help you to get direction at Jakarta.

Room Tip: Pay extra to get room with window!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mea123
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

"Small, damp, and dark" goes for both the rooms and for the attitude of most of the staff. The rooms at first seem OK, especially given the price and location, but I needed to request my sheets to be changed because they were dirty and there was quite a bit of hair under the pillows. And the bathroom had similar hair issues.

A deposit of Rp. 200,000 for the 5th floor and Rp. 50,000 for the 3rd floor is required to ensure compliance with the non-smoking policy. The 3rd floor is cheaper because it used to be a smoking floor - so the rooms still have the stale smoke smell.

Most of the rooms have no windows, so book early to secure one. Hence the "dark" in this review. But staff were similarly not friendly :(

The WiFi was good and the location superb but other than that I think that there are far better options for the same price in central Jakarta, and even better in West or South. The chain hotels would be a better choice in this price bracket.

The hotel has potential but the level of cleanliness simply must be improved.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Pennae
Reviewed October 21, 2012

If you arrive from Soekarno Hatta Airport in Jakarta, before you exit, you can always book your taxi to this location, the cheapest one will cost you IDR170,000 one way, that's included your toll fee and driver, just say included everything except tip (tips is not a must, but it's appreciated - 1USD = IDR9,350 depending on the place, make sure you bring a nice crisp bill and check the years on the bill note, they won't accept if your notes are year 2006 and under if in Jakarta, small notes are different rate as well). There is another option to take you to this location but I won't suggest it since this is the safest one.

It takes about 45minutes from Jakarta airport to this Prime Location if there is no traffic jam.
This Smart Hotel is just located in the heart of the City in Jakarta, it's just a walking distance to Kempinski Hotel (which you can find tons of eateries), to Plaza Indonesia Mall-SOGO and the EX, Grand Hyatt Hotel even to Amaris Thamrin Hotel if you want to have a Retail Therapy for bargain. For the location, this hotel is awesome.

Where to begin for review now....
Okay, first we discuss about the rate.
Of course I am expecting the rate is lower as far as a budget hotel.
Probably they thought the hotel is located in such an opportunistic area so the price won't be lower but soon they will realize that there are couple of budget hotels around these area that build or running and cheaper with probably more serice than what they can offer.
So far, I can say, due to the location this budget hotel is acceptable deal.
You can mostly find this at Agoda or Booking.com since not every hotel website sell this property and you also need to be careful because not every hotel website is reliable.
So, from any Budget Hotel that sold in a hotel web, this one still cheaper and like I said before, for location, this is just great.

Now, the room that sold in website won't tell you exactly what the deal is. Please take a note, that they offer a room with window and not with window which is cheaper. Yes, some websites are offering you for a better deal with bigger room, just to let you know, if they don't have one available, they won't give you. I bet only 1 or 2 room that similar that what the pictures in those hotel website to sell but trust me you will get dissapointed, they won't tell ya.
Yes, it's true some rooms are not the same like others, why I can tell you that? because of many reasons, so I move from one to another for couple times. It's not because I am so crazy nor demanding, it's just something that I will explain at the following....

I arrive over midnite, and I am so impressed, that someone whom I beleive is the security opens the main entrance doors, give me a smile and greet me and pull my suitcases and bring them to the lobby. Awesome... and I am always impressed because it's not day or nite, those peeps are so friendly and helpful. A big point.
The check in takes a little bit longer than expected but I am totally fine because it's not exceeded my time limit. They request me to have a deposit for IDR200,000 and return it when check out.

Okay, the room, is small but has windows in it. The bathroom is small too but is a good size tho and clean and there is an exhaust fan which is great and some of the shower has half glass door to divide the shower and the toilet / sink, some are not. It's not a biggy thing, since I am not a person who like the mess after shower meaning waters are all over the place, so I suggest if they can put the shower curtain at least around shower so water won't splash here and there tho.
Make sure when you come to your room, to check if your AC is working, your warm water for shower is working, TV is working, phone is there that works too, so do it right away (this is a great tip if you stay here) and if something is not right, report it right away so they can either fix it or move you to another room. I knew you are tired but please spare some times for this. They provide a complete toiletries everyday which is great, so no worries for this, but sometimes they forgot to replace the tissue at bathroom, and just call them.

It's said tons of chanels for TV but to be honest, only HBO is available and even in my room, that TV isn't work properly, lots of static. The internet, means Free WiFi in your room and sometimes is just slow to very slow but still it works fine and it's free. And there are 2 computer at lobby that you can use it. And no compact refiregerator in the room and I was inform that you can rent a day for IDR30,000, just in case like me that I must put my allergy medication in refrigerator. It's a little tiny closet attached to wall with some hangers.
The breakfast, trust me, you will be dissapointed with breakfast, honestly, it's not good at all, so you have the choice to eat at American Grill for breakfast on the second floor and adding IDR17,000 more for having more choices which is totally recommended.
There is smoking and non smoking section in restaurant and smoking section part is hot, I think the Ac is not working there.

Now, talking about something that they must improve!!!
The Linen, I do not like my linen that dirty or smelly, period. This is the only thing that botthering me. And that would be great if they put some sort of fragrance after they clean it so the room won't have damp smell. Because the AC is not on all times since it's a window not a central AC.
I am not sure but there is something that I always feel wrong, either the bed or the atmosphere, something that can make my self become allergy. Again that sheet must be checked every other day, in my deepest sleep I can suddenly awake it's because the linen has dirty smell.
The bed is not really firm and not really soft but it's firmer than usual, so at least I can sleep, because I am not a firm fans, firm bed will hurt my body. The other thing that I want to ask to improve, is the quilt, I think that quilt/comforter is not comfy and should change to a better one tho, always loose from its cover tho and too thin.

This hotel is really suitable for single that traveling on budget, if you are a claustrophobic person, nor family or business, these are not for you and yes, It's LGBT Welcomed.
And the nice thing, they have the adaptor ready, so you don't have to worry when you need to plug your phone and such since they have universal adapter.

I have a chance to meet a Room Boy Floor Supervisor, named Jufri / Feri, whom I am so impressed that he can come to me and ask how is my room, how is the service, and what I need in order to make my stay comfortable and if I need something that he can assist please tell him.
I am just like...wow.. he is different than others. I would like to extend my commendation to the owner and I have comented this nice word to the Manager on duty before I leave, how wonderful, an honest and reliable and such inteligent staff you have. He is a big asset for your company, if you are willing to take a chance on him and supply him with all training he needs, I bet his leadership would be tremendously great.... Thank you Jufri / Feri for being such a very nice individual that really cares about my stay. And I feel honored to meet a nice person like you. I value your honesty and work integrity, and I really hope that you would get all the things you need in order to achieve your goal, since you deserve more attention. It's because you stand out amongst the rest of them. The way you approach people are terrific.

The other things that I observe, that people who work here, they are nice and friendly, so don't judge them wrong, sometimes the language barrier happens, you just need to tell them in different ways so they will be able to assist or help you. Beleive me, they are nice people and they would do anything in their power and service in order to accomodate you. I am so happy that I can meet and experience nice people around me, especially in big city like Jakarta. They just need more trainings. And I hope that can fix the lobby area so it will create more comfy ambiance rather than unorganized space.

And the last one about the laundry, I think if I am not wrong, the laundry name is Jugez Moi, and I am not happy with the service, they won't know which has to be dry clean or laundry altho you told them or write it on the laundry paper. And then, I do not like when you smell the blend of dirty laundry(damp) and softener, it really makes me sick to just smell them. I hope Smart Hotel will really careful aboout this. And beside this, the towels are so tired, although I love it that they are so crisp and dry and clean but they are so really tired and expected to change to better quality tho.

So in my overall, this place has the things what a budget hotels need but just need more TLC and give the staff more intensive trainings and on top of it, reduce the rate to compete with others budget hotels around it. Once they consider to improve this, I have no doubt that this Smart Budget Hotel will be one of the best budget hotel in Jakarta. So I am going to rate Very Good since I can see the whole value but like my title say, need TLC, that would make your hotel success. Good Luck.

Room Tip: Do not shy to ask them, what you expect and what you need, they will assist you. Higher Floor has be...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank W0rldTravelAdvis0r
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Only to sleep you don't need spend too much then you can safe money for party, eat or shopping. That's why my partner choose this hotel. My first impression to Smart Hotel Jakarta, "omg!! unbelievable!" :p (shocked reaction hehhehehe). Receptionist not nice but not rude, I can say..normal? :D
I start from bad things from this hotel, forgot to give us towel (please call receptionist), dirty carpet everywhere (not sure when last time they clean carpet), no mat in bathroom (floor always wet after shower,please call receptionist about it :D ), no ashtray, dusty furnitures, very bad breakfast,,and stinky bathroom. Bathroom look enough clean but don't know why..super stinky.
Good things, near with many shopping centers (malls is the best option to go out in Jakarta, restaurants,clubs,cafes,cinema and sometimes gym in one place. Jakarta is crowded city,move from a place to another place will waste you're time), Another good thing, they responded about my complaints, I wrote on "comment paper" (available in every room) all what I need in my room. A day after, they gave us ashtray,mat, and bathroom not too much stinky anymore. We stayed 3 days,until last day, bathroom still little bit stinky and breakfast not change (very bad breakfast,believe me! :D ), but at least they tried to be better, I'm happy about that.
Nearest malls from here Plaza Indonesia/EX and Grand Indonesia (20-30 min walk). Bad time to go out in Jakarta by car/taxi/public transportation around 8am-10am, 12am-2pm, and 5pm-9pm traffic jam everywhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple