“Flawless - best friendly service”

Morrissey Hotel Residences
Ranked #61 of 459 Hotels in Jakarta
Melbourne
“Flawless - best friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

The photos on the website dont do this place justice. I had the executive studio and was extremely impressed with the interior, the space, the cleanliness and the comfort. Although I would say Jakarta is not for every holiday traveller (if you like going off the beaten path then you'll the city) my stay at the morrissey really made my stay a whole lot better. Walking back into the hotel after a day out felt like i was home, so comforting.

The hospitality and friendliness i received from the staff at the hotel is the best i have experienced anywhere in the world, and i have literally travelled to 60+ countries on almost every continent.

I would normally stay at different hotels if i revisit any city however in the čase of jakarta i would definitely stay at the morrissey again (unless i had the cash to splurge on something like the mandarin oriental).

The rooms were extrémely well appointed and comfortable as was the lobby. The only things that were not overly impressive was the variety at breakfast (i had more variety in bali) būt its still decent, and the gym is not really a gym just a treadmill, cross trainer and dumb bells. If you plan on doing a proper workout theres the very well appointed fitness first platinum at grand indonesia.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

I have many stayover nights in Jakarta, and this being the case I like to try different hotels in area I enjoy in the city. This was my first time staying at the Morrissey, I can say without reservation it was one of most comfortable hotels I have had the pleasure to stay in. The bed is a full mattress made for sound sleeping. Very neat and tidy suites accent the "homey' feel to the place. Priced fairly reasonable as well...I will stay here again...

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

I chose the Morrissey due to its close proximity to the office I was working in while in Jakarta. It offered excellent value for money and comfort and I was not disappointed in my stay.

My studio room was spacious and clean, perfect for the solo business traveler. The staff were helpful and friendly and available for all enquiries. On my first day I noticed that the door required some extra effort to lock properly and a maintenance man was sent immediately to fix the problem. Requests for taxis at reception were promptly acted on and advice and assistance from the reception staff, including updated wifi passwords each week was delivered with a friendly smile every time. I requested a late check-out on my final day and they were more than happy to help, updating my keycard on the spot and ensuring I was comfortable with the additional charges which were not extravagant.

My room was an a floor that appeared to allow smoking and there was some smell of it in the public corridors and in the rooms. I bought a small disposable air freshener to use for the length of my stay and didn't notice the smokey smell much after the first couple of days. My room was also facing the mosque nearby to Jalan Jaksa and the call to prayer was quite loud, but I soon became accustomed to it and didn't notice it much and was not woken by it during my stay.

Travelling alone for business means lots of meals out which can become tiring, so it is nice to have a small kitchenette where some meals could be prepared during my stay. Pots and pans, crockery and cutlery and cooking knives were all adequate.

The housekeeping staff were fantastic, patient with me when I was still in the room when they arrived to clean and quite flexible about returning at a time that was more convenient to me. My room was always cleaned well and the laundry service was also great.

The one thing that is missing from this hotel that would take it up to a 5 star review would be some form of room service for those times when you just want to flake out in front of the TV. Although it was certainly not difficult to grab quick meals in the neighborhood and the café downstairs was quite nice, its a bonus in hotels to pick up the phone to reception and order some food without having to think too much about it.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking level for your room and avoid rooms that face the nearby mosque if you are sen...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MyrrPurr
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed here for one night during new year's eve. Booked through Agoda and got an excellent price for the 1-bedroom executive. My friends and I at 4 PM because the streets were blocked and jammed due to the DKI New Year's Eve Celebration preps. The check-in was pretty quick, considering that there are a lot of people checkin in as well with the same mindset as me and my friends, and the staffs were very friendly and helpful. They were all smiling and showing hospitality.
When we first entered the room, we were amazed and over-excited, taking photos to show our friends and family in Path and running up and down the stairs because the place is so nice, so clean, and of course it is exciting because it's new year's eve! The 1-bedroom executive is not really big, but enough to host a small lunch/dinner get-together for around 10 ppl since the bedroom is on the 2nd floor. Then when we started opening our suitcases, we heard someone rang the bell - the hotel staff gave us party hats and paper trumpets donned in silver and black. (as the hotel was having "The Great Gatsby" theme that time)!
One problem is that the HDTV function on the TVs (both in the living room and the bedroom) won't seem to work! I tried plugging in my PS3, even called a technician, but nothing seemed to work. I only brought blu-rays, but the DVD player couldn't play blu-ray, so I was like, ok whatever.
And then my friends came for dinner and we started cooking and spreading out snacks. The kitchen is small and simple, but enough to cook simple dishes - stove and microwave works well, but the electric kettle was leaking so we called room service and she checked on it, and quickly replaced it with another that functioned well.
My two friends who came for dinner got stuck in the rain and they used the free laundry on the 3rd floor, which they said was excellent.
I also brought an iPhone speaker to play music and we're pretty sure that we're super noisy, but nobody complained even though we were told that there were other guests in the next room - meaning that the room is soundproofed pretty well (the bellboy also told this to us during check-in). I read the other reviews and they complained about the mosque noise and everything, but we stayed on the 4th floor and we heard nothing. I guess the executive rooms like the one I stayed in are pretty well insulated. And the other people were partying as well, I think - as I heard music and noises blasting out of their rooms when I pass by people coming out of their room (and again, it's new year's eve). But the corridors are very quiet (almost like deserted).
The pool area on the rooftop is also nice - too bad I didn't bring my bathing suit! But a lot of people stays in the hotel at that time so there are lots of little kids running around splashing us. We also go up for the new year's countdown and see amazing fireworks display.
The breakfast was good, the food is just simple with not much variation but the taste is really good.
Overall, we had a really nice stay in Morrissey. When we packed up our stuffs I felt sad and wished that I have booked for a few more nights. It certainly feels homey and relaxing, and makes you forget all the stresses that you've left at home or work. Other than tourists visiting Jakarta, I'm also suggesting Morrissey for people who wished to go for a little getaway with friends or family when you feel that you're stuck in a rut, but can't afford to go out of town due to work/school demands.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

My wife and I were hopeful of having a lovely stay in Jakarta, and chose Morrissey based on largely positive reviews here. We chose a service apartment as my in-laws and our infant daughter were also joining in.

Our first impressions were positive. The physical facade looked modern and chic.

We had a very helpful host (Bambang).

Our disappointment started when we first went up to the room. The room still had 2 workers cleaning it. They looked puzzled when we told them we were going to occupy the room. One would have thought that there would be better coordination between the front desk and the room.

But the bigger disappointment was the stench coming from the master bedroom. It was a strong sewer smell. Bambang, who had accompanied us to our room, was kind enough to report it to the front desk. However, we did not hear anything from anyone for a considerable period of time. We then went down to the front desk, only to be greeted by a very unfriendly staff, who reluctantly told us that the room would be changed, and that they would transfer our luggage across.

Breakfast spread was a little limited (by usual Jakarta standards).

I am a soccer buff, and when I asked the operator about whether there was any British premier league soccer matches available on the hotel channels, I was told to hold on, for an "engineer" to come to the room to advise me. I told him that I only needed to know whether there was a channel available, and the engineer could simply call. The operator mentioned that there was a channel for BPL soccer (but I could not find such a channel on the list). An "engineer" then called me back half an hour later to say that "Bundesliga" matches could be viewed on a certain channel. I correct him that I wanted to watch a British premier league game. The reply was a disappointing "no".

And to top off the disappointment, we had requested (and the hotel agreed) to a late checkout (by 1 pm). When we were going up to our room past 12 pm, our card keys no longer worked. We went to the front office and got another card key. And that too, did not work. We had to go back again a second time, and only then did it work.

The stay was disappointing, as we had a certain level of expectations for the place. The physical space was one which was modern and trendy. However, service and maintenance levels fell far short.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Ivy T, General Manager at Morrissey Hotel Residences, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Mr. Singapore 1704,

Thank you for your recent feedback , as well as your compliment towards our associate,(Bambang). Rest assured that we will extend your appreciation to him.

We regret to hear re: disappointing service that you've experienced. Every customer is very important to us.

In order for us to clean and prepare our rooms for guests checking in, our check-in time is 2 pm. For days when our rooms are full, requests for early check-in will be considered based on room availability.

In the same time thank you for the feedback on the sewage, which have been rectified.
Our guest room key is programmed based on your departure date upon arrival, thus room key should be refresh through reception counter for any extension hours/ stay.

Mr. Singapore 1704, thank you for your constructive feedback. It is through a concerned customer like your goodself that we are able to improve our daily operations.

You are welcome to write to me through my email address at ivy.thema@iammorrissey.com

Ivy Thema
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed there for 3 nights. I had booked a normal room but was upgraded to their "two floor" executive appartment suite. Which is a quite nicely arranged maisonette kind of room, although not too large (more than 2 people would get crammed).
There was a large fridge and basic cooking equipment in the room which I found very useful and a big advantage.
One of the staff was especially friendly and earned my highest respect.
What I didn't like so much was that the room had already some dents in the decoration. Here and there you could spot wear and tear. Come on, this hotel is just 3 years old. It should be kept in spotless condition after only such a short while.
Also I had a problem in the shower once. The outlet in the shower basin didn't really work well so only after taking a shower for a few minutes, without me noticing the whole bathroom was flooded and the adjacent bedroom. I quickly cleaned out the water using towels.
The room service had then fixed the problem source later, by removing the lid from the water outlet.
Overall I am pleased with this experience. The location is very good (just around the corner from Jl Jaksa) and the Sabang street is a short walk away (know for best street kitchens in all of town). Like mentioned in other reviews, the roof pool and bar is really featuring nice views. It also features a small garden and quite comfy sofa arrangements. I liked the fact obviously that they gave me the free upgrade, although when I asked for an extension of course they would not offer the same room or rate, but instead they told me to look at "online booking web sites". Strange - I was there already, the usual thing would be to negotiate something face to face.
The breakfast is average I'd say, choices are sufficient and the "asian" style breakfast quite yummy indeed.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in November. It is a very smart hotel in a central location. Lots of Arty touches which others have mentioned. The double-height ceiling of my 9th floor room was unpainted concrete, I am not sure if this was a 'look' or an oversight, either way it was quite charming. The pool area on the 6th floor was fantastic with great views of the tallest buildings in downtown Jakarta. The breakfast was excellent with lots of asian and western choices and great coffee.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo