“Simply Fell in Love”

Morrissey Hotel Residences
Ranked #68 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My sister recommend me this Morrissey Hotel and Apartment during my 1 month stay in Jakarta. So I started to making contact with the management. They offered me a long stay package and the price is pretty reasonable. So I booked it.
Having no idea what kind of hotel is that I finally arrived there. The doorman kindly opening my car and took out my luggages from the luggage compartment. And warmly welcoming my arrival. Then I directly went to the receptionist counter to checked in, I was pretty amazed with a cute design they have in the lobby room, very modern with vintage touch. I liked it. When I reached the receptionist desk they have already all my documents including email conversations are printed and ready prior my arrival. No problem at all at the check in So they handed me the key and showing me my room number. The porter brought my luggages to my room. Not long after I entered my room the telephone rang, and it was the manager personally welcoming me (what a nice little touch).
The location is very central in the heart of Jakarta. Within walking distance you can go to one of the biggest mall in Jakarta. And within the area you can find any kind of food stall down the street. For sure you won't be starved ;)
There's two small things that I think is not up to my expectation are the gym that is not pretty much under my standard to be called gym. It has only one treadmill machine, and a couple of barbels. And the other thing is the washing machine. It takes forever to do laundry. Once I left it over night and the next morning it was not even dry. So I hope this could be in the hotel consideration in order to increase their value.

• Stayed: September 2012

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just stayed one night there, I mean why would you want to spend much time in Jakarta if you travel Java. Great Design of the room, great comfy bed, nice couch and table in the room. Of course utilities to help yourself for a coffe or tea. And: very nice outdoor pool on the roof, big enough so that you can really swim. Good coffee, good breakfast. The staff is nice and friendly too. The italian restaurant in the same buildung is good too. And you can stay at the pool area if your flight is in the evening. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I spent 2 nights at the Morrissey; the room was a bit smaller than my expectations, but the hotel is really nice, great breakfast and a superb rooftop pool (a shame that there's no bar there); the position is good, walking distance from the national monument and the main malls.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Our studio apt. was in the middle of downtown Jakarta, with the expected pro's and con's that entails. Arriving at the int'l airport near rush hour, it took about 1 1/2 hours to reach this property. It has attractive landscaping as you enter, helping to provide a calmer feel compared to the packed and noisy streets surrounding you. The lobby is spacious, and one end serves as the location for the buffet breakfast which was included in our rate. Checkin was quick, and the elevators (3 out of 4 were working) ran efficiently and reliably to our floor. The apartment was a studio, not huge but bigger than the average hotel room. The furnishings are very basic and inexpensive, as are those I in the lobby, and could be what keep the property from earning a higher rating. That said, the feel of the unit is like a loft apt. wit its exposed, white painted brick, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom spacious with a huge shower, and plenty of hot water from an excellent shower head. The room was well maintained throughout our stay, and the breakfast was ample and satisfying, and included an omelette station and plenty of seating.

A big "plus" for us was the FREE self-serve laundromat with 2 functioning washer/drier combo' s.
Free detergent was even available!

The infinity pool is in a lovely setting, super clean, but also amazingly cold, defying the logic of solar heat in this well heated city! There are lounge chairs available, including cute cabana style ones that provide shade as well. Unfortunately the noise and smells of the city 6 floors below still intrude into what should be an oasis of calm. Similarly in our room - 5 times daily broadcasts of the call to prayer rang out from 2 very nearby mosques. And unlike those calls in other cities, these continued at times for far more than an hour. This is obviously not a reflection on this property, but reason to request a room closer to the pool end and away from the open architecture near the parking lot end. Another guest told us that from his room he could hardly hear any of it. The noise level in our room made sleeping difficult in both the evening and the early morning. In addition, we could easily hear the noise of the elevator from our room. Soundproofing was not adequately considered in designing this structure.

We were pleased that the apartments/hotel is only a long block distance from the Gambir train station. However, walking to it is not advised! Sidewalks are next to nonexistent, and crossing side streets is a high risk activity.

Overall, this property is a toss up for a return stay. The staff were pleasant and gracious, the accommodations comfortable and amenities helpful, but we would not automatically choose it again due to the noise level described earlier. This annoyance had not been experienced on prior trips at other properties.

Room Tip: Request highest floor possible, away from parking lot end and away from elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sande24
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We have stayed a couple of times for several days in Morrissey. The location of this hotel is very central, close to entertainment, shopping and food. The pool on the 6th floor is nice and well designed. Personnel very friendly and helpful. We have been sleeping in the regular and executive studio and on our last visit received an upgrade to a 1 bedroom executive room.
Overall Morrissey is a nice hotel, service great. We had a late night flight and were allowed to use the lounge and pool area after checking out midday.
Breakfast is average, some days good, others less. It runs out fast and takes some time to
refill. My main drawback is the state of the building and rooms. It is getting old fast. Not just paint, also malfunctions.
All in all, it is an okay hotel, but requires attention to maintenance. I can recommend it though.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Traveling with business partner and stayed here 3 nights and luckily my room was upgraded to 1-bedroom loft. The hotel has a neat design with vintage motorcycles and old artifacts scattered amongst the ultra modern architecture of the building. I found the staff to be plentiful and attendant. Location is good to - relatively safe central location close to many things. The building has a nice pool at the top too with great views, and the morning breakfast was decent however things run out towards the end of the breakfast period and they do not replenish. The dining area can become completely full too.
As for the rooms, they are contemporary and fashionable. Rooms were clean and functional, but I did have a problem with noise isolation. Loud family above me (above my 2nd story bedroom in the loft) could be heard clearly as well as plumbing sounds. And morning prayers from nearby mosques were also audible although not loud. Comfort level of furniture and bed was just average. The sheets were pretty rough cotton. I had one mosquito attack me a lot at night! TV worked well but station choices very limited, especially for USA stations.
There are some new competitors in the area to check too, but this hotel maintains its good reputation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SalsabyJake
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I loved the design and feel of this hotel. Service was great, with all staff consistently friendly, helpful and smiling. We stayed in 2 executive apartments; spacious, clean, nice design. Breakfast was one of the best we have had during our 4-week travel throughout Indonesia. The swimming pool on one of the top floors with views over crazy Jakarta is great after a day in the jungle. The adjacent Italian restaurant is a great, atmospheric place to dine, with great food (nothing beats a good steak after 4 weeks of rice and noodles). The only thing we didn't appreciate was the fact that cocktails were served in a cup and beer was served in a tea pot because of Ramadan. Overall, this is a great hotel with a great restaurant BUT... The midnight prayers from the nearby mosque are so intrusively loud and sound so aggressive that they kept me awake for a good part of the night. Travelling in Indonesia you get used to the sound of prayers at night but the volume button was turned up so high here that was ridiculous. For this reason, unfortunately I would not consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask a room away from the mosque.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family