“Pleasent stay indeed at Morrissey”

Morrissey Hotel Residences
Ranked #64 of 468 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Situated along the street of Jalan K.H. Wahid Hasyim i find that this hotel is strategically located where if u wanna spend your time shopping at Tanah Abang this will be the place, after a hard day's shopping u can really relax in Morrissey with the tranquile envoirnment especially the swimming pool at the top.
the room also is well equipped with all the basic amenities.
i love the restaurants and street food along the street and jalan sabang which makes your live more easy as you can choose from a wide variety of foods.
as for the sound from the mosque it is no problem for me as i am used to it here and thru out south east asia.
the breakfast is complete with wide variety of dishes to choose from.
Definately i will stay here again on my next trip as compared staying in the five star hotels as the density in five star hotel is more than in Morrissey.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jeffrylnorbi

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Morrissey (apparently named after d lead singer of 80s band The Smiths) is a small, hip & trendy serviced apartment in d heart of Jakarta.

LOCATION:
Great location. About 400m to Sarinah (Burger King, McD, Starbucks, Lotte mart). CircleK mini-mart to d left of hotel main entrance, 20meters. Less than 1 km to famous HI roundabout, Kempinski n to one of d premier malls in Jakarta, Grand Indonesia.

SERVICE:-
Service level was truly impressive. Staff have been well-trained. One employee made a U turn after walking past me as I was headed to d elevator to help me punch my floor after he realised both my hands were full with shopping bags.

Thats reflective of how everyone working in morrissey is - willing to go d extra mile, with a smile.

BREAKFAST:
Small selection of entrees but very good. Menu changes constantly. Highlight for me was d great Indonesian-style fried chicken one morning. I became addicted to d freshly brewed coffee.

ROOM:
I stayed in a Superior room. Minimalist all white interiors n naked concrete ceiling look didnt reli work for me, but no big deal.

Room was smaller than I expected, but sufficient for my needs, with sofa n work-table. Room is well equipped, with iron & board, n kitchenette has microwave, Electrolux toaster & water-kettle. Free WiFi.

Only real complaint about d room is that theres hardly any space inbetween shower n toilet seat. Those of large built may find it extremely uncomfortable to sit on toilet bowl- hardly any room to manouver.

OTHER NOTABLES:-
In-house Italian resto Ocha & Bella is one of d most popular in Jakarta, but I didnt have d chance to dine there.

Launderette on 3rd floor, complete with detergent.

BUT U HAVE BEEN WARNED...
PLS. MIND THE NOISE!!!
I reli hate to say anything negative about morrissey bcoz d hotel employees reli did leave such a hugely positive impression on me.

Unfortunately, EjTr's review of Dec.31, 2012 was totally spot on about d noise. D sounds from d houses of worship nearby reli did feel like it was right outside my window, at most hours of d night. Intermission, 12mn to 4am.

I was 9 floors up (d hotel is 10 storeys high), n on right (Jalan Jaksa) side of building - Im not a light sleeper but I cud constantly hear so much, at almost all hours. Most mornings, I was awakened at 4am.

CONCLUSION:
Morrissey is a stellar & hip little hotel, with fantastic employees. Great location. Very good breakfast.

Just reli noisy... I wud like to give it another chance, despite d noise. Thats how good it is. But I will have to bring ear plugs!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 24, 2013

As the title suggests I oscillated between - it's brilliant and it's not good. It is a very busy noisy hotel with 2 mosques close by - there is a very busy road at the front with 24 hour noise. I can best describe it as a warehouse conversion although I have no idea whether it is. It appears to be modern and chic but I feel it is older than it is as somethings are 'tired' The rooms are high ceiling and some have glass walls, others have small windows, showers only again some small some large depending on the room. The staff are moslty attentive and helpful although I was extremelt disappointed that having asked to see the general manager for over a week she has not bothered to speak with me. Do I not matter as a customer? Presumably not. The room rate includes breakfast whcih is very good but mostly geared to an oriental diet. Omlettes are very good. There is nothing else on offer at the hotel apart from a roof top swimming pool that is exceptionally cold as it is not heated and is top covered so does not get the sun, it is also very windy up on the roof. Good value for money although they have some very peculiar rules concerning laundry which is sometimes included and sometimes not. I wish the management would take the time to keep their long term (3 year) customers happy all the time not just some of it

Room Tip: Rooms at back are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband was temporary transferred to Jakarta on business, so I decided to visit him for a long weekend. We chose this serviced apartment instead of Alila, upon hearing it's award winning design reviews.
Positive points:
1. Good value.
2. Good location. Menteng's a hip area for yuppies, and the hotel is smack in the middle of it. There's a bar downstairs with live music in the evenings. From the pool deck, you could see Monas and the CBD skyline. It's also fairly close to Grand Indonesia (only Rp.10,000; equivalent to about USD $1- by cab)
3. For the price we paid, we were fairly pleased with the breakfast options. During holidays (we were there during Chinese New Year), they offered a Chinese-themed menu.
4. The common amenities are well designed, comfortable.
5. Convenient. Knowing Jakarta: as much convenience as possible is highly required! Fortunately, a taxi stand is there. Blue Bird, most trusted taxi operating company in Jakarta.

Negative points:
1. Service was rather slow.
2. Maintenance. The staff need to clean up the place more. The glass, cladding is staining. The sink of the bathroom in our studio was a little clogged.
3. The room need to be furnished to be a little 'warmer'. We understand the 'raw' design of exposed concrete ceiling and exposed brick walls. But a hint of timber, warm hues will contribute a lot in making us want to stay in the room longer rather than wandering about in common areas.
4. Some may consider its close proximity to the mosque as a negative point. The prayer calls may tend to be a little on the loud side.

Room Tip: Get a room which has a view of the Jakarta CBD skyline.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TeenieBear
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is my third stay here and will always be whenever i'm in Jakarta. The room is still clean, spacious and great. The only downside was the customer service which i found not as efficient as it was before Morrissey took over (it was under Ascott last time). However, despite that, breakfast spread was way better than before!

Morrissey will always be the place for me. :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was a great no-frills service apartment. The rooms were basic, but most importantly clean. I found that I got excellent value for what I paid for. There is a delicious "bakmie / noodles" place 5 mins walk away and the restaurant at the lobby has an nice vibe with an acoustic band playing. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank TeddyJeannie
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Price/quality this is a good hotel in Jakarta.

The location is good and the staff is very friendly. The hotel is top design. The rooms are minimalistic (in my personal opinion rooms focus too much on design and not enough on cosiness) but well appointed, even including a kitchenette.
Wifi was working fine and is free.
There's an excellent Italian restaurant downstairs. On the roof is a small swimming pool with lounge area.

Breakfast is average. Also the noise from the neighbouring mosques is a minus.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business