“Clean rooms, TERRIBLE environment and service”

HARRIS Hotel & Conventions Kelapa Gading Jakarta
Ranked #52 of 471 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Back to the hotel after a long day. Time was about 6pm. I hear noises above my room (should be 13th). It sounded like some renovation works. When out for a quick dinner and back to the room at 630pm. The noise was still there!! I tolerated and proceeded to do some emails, the noise became unbearable and I called the desk. They informed me the renovation should have stopped at 4pm. Are they implying I am lying!?
They mentioned they will send 'someone' up to stop all the works.
Apparently this someone was not capable. Cause the noise became louder!!!
I called 2nd time. The lady say sorry, will send again. Noise never ceased!
Called 3rd time and this time I was really pissed.. the desk lady also sounded irritated and gave a 'ok ok ok' reply.
The noises is STILL on and now it is 8pm.
Clean rooms, Terrible service and Incompetent staff.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
HarrisKG, General Manager at HARRIS Hotel & Conventions Kelapa Gading Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

As a matter of fact, we have some rooms' extension works on progress in the hotel and i sincerely apology for the disturbance which should not have happened.

I totally agree with your complaint and i accept it.

The work generating noises should stopped every day at 4pm as mentioned by our team. Nobody is implying that you were lying as we said: "Should" and not "Have". Unfortunately, the works are not handled neither managed by the hotel. This is not an excuse, just an explanation. Before starting the extension, we had clearly requested the work to be stopped at 4pm every day. Obviously, this hasn't been respected.
After having received some complaints, including yours, we have meet again the other party , show them the different letters and finally obtained that no noise would happen again between 4pm and 10am and that no workers will be on site on Sundays during the project which will last for another 2 weeks.

Again, we apology for the inconvenience and i personally stay at your disposal for further assistance or request you might have.

With our warmest regards,

Reviewed January 10, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 6 nights and cannot stess enough how much value for money this hotel is. It is a new hotel with the basic facitlities you would expect for a 4 star hotel, it location is fanastic and is attached to a shopping Mall.
The staff were young and enthusiastic, the rooms were modern and clean.
My only fault I could find was the breakfast which did not offer enough selection, having said that the bread and butter pudding was to die for.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
HarrisKG, General Manager at HARRIS Hotel & Conventions Kelapa Gading Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2011

Dear Valuable Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review as we pay a lots of attention to our Clients' opinions. Comments and suggestions are a precious source of information in order to consistently improve our services' quality.
We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed staying with us and your satisfaction is much appreciated and encouraging.
Regarding the breakfast, we are now working on its selection, especially for our Customers being with us for more than one or two nights.
Once again, we thank you and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
Wishing you a very pleasant day,
Harrisly Yours.

Reviewed December 7, 2010

I booked the room through the hotel website, asked for them to prepare the extra bed in advance since i have my 2 kids with me, and we'll be arriving past midnight already; and the hotel reply was the extra bed will be in the room already before i checked in, ditha is the name of the girl in the reservation department who email me, but to my dissapointment, wnen we arrived, nothing, and we have to wait quiet a while for the extra bed. For reference, this is my booking number GK1182.
We stayed there for 7 nights, after 3 nights, we asked for another extra bed, so we called the housekeeping, and they informed my husband, that there's no more extra bed left, i understand it's the ramadhan season and i can see also in the morning, there were many guests arriving., so i thought, it's really true. Then i had to go to the mall to buy some stuff, then i dropped by the front desk and mention about the extra bed, to my surprise, he's checking the housekeeping, and he told me, there's still extra bed, so what's this, some kind of lazy staff???? Anyway, after a while, we got the extra bed, then my husband said, how come??? but i don't say anything anymore to the staff, since i understand it's ramadhan season, probably they are too tired already since there are many guests in this hotel at that time.
another good thing, the gym facilities and services are very good.
Location is great, it's in the complex of the kelapa gading mall.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
HarrisKG, General Manager at HARRIS Hotel & Conventions Kelapa Gading Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at HARRIS Kelapa Gading hotel & conventions and for your review which is helping us to improve our services.

After investigation it appears that it is our mistake due to an internal miss communication.
Kindly accept our sincere apologies and be sure that instructions have been given to guarantee that it will not happen again.

As you know, our hotel is still new and some adjustments are still necessary. On the other hand, we are pleased to see that you gave the maximum rating to: Rooms, Cleanliness and Sleep Quality and we are pleased that you had an overall good stay with us.

Kindly do not hesitate to contact me directly if you plan to come again to Jakarta. I will be glad to assist you personally through your reservation process.

Reviewed November 26, 2010

Having stayed abt 3 months in the hotel, I would say I have a reasonable base to give a review.

First impressions :
The hotel is only a few months old and hence in a "new condition". It appears like a four star - though 3 star. Bright, clean and functional design.

Rooms :
The rooms are spacious and clean. You have everything you need there. Wardrobe a bit small. Missed a comfortable chair or sofa to relax. WI-FI in the rooms would have been an advantage compared to the cable. Walls are too thin - so you may sometimes participate in your neighbors life - particularly in bathroom. Experienced smell from drains in some rooms - management should put attention to cleaning these on regular basis.

Facilities :
The gym is excellent - top of the line equipment.
Pool is small but nice. Neither gym or pool are crowded.
The elevator capacity seems to be too small when the hotel is full.

Restaurant :
Breakfast is very good.
The lunch/dinner menu is basic and ok. Prices on the high side - which is probably why there are few guests for dinner.

Service :
The staff are young and friendly. Always polite and doing their best. Keep in mind this is not a five star hotel. This is a popular hotel with a high occupancy rate - so naturally during peak hours you may experience some waiting time - which is ok. The staff seems to enjoy working there. At times they may be too busy chatting with each other rather than paying attention to the guests.

Location :
In the heart of Kelapa Gading with direct access to a nice shopping mall with all you need - this is the best location.

Would I recommend it ? Yes - no doubt. For business people who needs to be in the northern part of Jakarta this is a good choice to stay. If you need to entertain your clients - then you may choose higher end hotels.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
HarrisKG, General Manager at HARRIS Hotel & Conventions Kelapa Gading Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you for having choose HARRIS Kelapa Gading for your long stay while in Jakarta and we do appreciate the time you spent for that review.
Our Guests opinion are a precious source of information in order to constantly improve our service and facilities.

We are pleased to read that you had an overall good time during those 3 months.

Kindly find below our comments on some points:
1- Wifi: Connection is not as good as cable. This is why we have selected this solution for the rooms. Nevertheless, wifi is available is all public area. We take this opportunity to remind that Internet connection is FREE in the hotel including in the rooms.
2- The wardrobe: it has been designed for 2 nights stay as our hotel is a business hotel. For your next long stay with us, we suggest you to stay in our HARRIS Suite. Our Sales Team will be glad to assist you for your next booking.
3- Drainage smell: the management is checking rooms every day and we are aware that from time to time, it can be a bit smelly. We apology for this disturbance and be sure that we are working to find a way to handle this especially during heavy rain season which was the case recently.
4- Chair or sofa: an additional chair or sofa would make the room smaller. Although we are open to all suggestions and we might consider this option for a near future.
5- Menu price on the high side: A new menu will be ready by the 15th of December with a better choice and better prices.
6- Staff attitude: It's true that from time to time they chat amongst each other and we believe that it's also a good way to "relax" during their working hours as long as they are always friendly, polite and doing their best with their Guests which is, based on your review, the case.

Again, we thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Reviewed November 14, 2010

I just completed my stay over the weekend.
As it was a last minute travel plan, the online unable to give me ONLINE confirmation. Hence I was asked to complete the Reservation Form and wait for the email reply. I have waited from 11am till 6pm and no reply from the hotel that at the end of the day I need to ask my friend to call the hotel to get the confirmation.
When I checked in, I asked the counter staff whether they received my reservation from online system and indeed they received, so why no response? How would I know whether I get the room and to show up in the hotel? I'm a foreigner with no local no. to contact and I wont be checking email in the airport, right? I hope this can be improved on.

Another incident, I asked for a late check out and was informed as long I checked out before 2pm then it's fine. But when I returned to the room at 1.20pm, the card cant make an entry and we finally asked the staff to open with a Master card. What happened?

As I plan to stay here next Feb with my baby and husband, I asked if they have a baby cot. Counter staff answered me with a No. and when i asked do they have a bigger room like 1 big bed with 1 single bed, his answer also no.
That's very weird because my friend called up and asked the same questions and the answer was yes, just that for the baby cot will depend on availability.

Other than the above mentioned, I enjoyed the stay in this long awaited hotel to this area.
It is clean, spacious, and not to say the location is superb. The staffs are friendly too.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
HarrisKG, General Manager at HARRIS Hotel & Conventions Kelapa Gading Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and your comments which are precious for us in order to consistently improve our services and facilities.

We are please to know that you "enjoyed" your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

In regards to your booking, we informed one of your colleagues who called the hotel at 5pm that it was confirmed. This is why we didn't send any email. Before 5pm and as mentioned on the website, your room request was still on waiting list.
About your room key, our staff should have offered your to extend the validity of the key when you asked for the late check-out. We apology for this lack of reactivity.
Your last point was about the baby cot. We believed this a misunderstanding as we have baby cots available. Nevertheless, we have done another training to make sure that all our Employees, including the new comers, are aware of all our facilities and services.

Again, we thank you for your comments and do apology for the inconveniences experimented during your stay with us.

Looking forward to welcoming you again very soon,

Reviewed November 4, 2010

I stayed nights on a business trip at this hotel. The hotel I guess is brand new and everything seems to work. The bright and cheerful color of Orange and White are to me a bit loud. The room I had was ok and had basic essentials. The bed is a bit hard for comfort and there was no iron and ironing board provided. Internet connection in room is complimentary which is a big plus, Overall a great hotel to stay there if you plan to be around that area. The adjacent huge mall is very convenient and there are plenty of food options around. I feel the price is reasonable for what you are getting. One thing though I feel the hotel is trying hard to please which I like. I had breakfast one day and a marketing person came over to ask me a few questions about the hotel. I mentioned that the breakfast lacks cereal options as there was only 2 types and they did not have any muesli cereals which I preferred. Guess what the next morning muesli was available. That impressed me.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
HarrisKG, General Manager at HARRIS Hotel & Conventions Kelapa Gading Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for having chosen HARRIS Kelapa Gading hotel & conventions during your stay in Jakarta and thank you very much for your review.
Our Clients' feedback are the most precious source of information. This is also why we have implemented the service upon breakfast you mentioned. It allows us to be proactive and to meet our Guest expectations in a more efficient way.
In regards with the irons and iron boards, we have some available upon request at the reception. Nevertheless, we will take into consideration your comment as it is showing a lack of information from our side. Kindly accept our apologies for that.
Again, many thanks for your review.
Looking forward to having the pleasure to welcoming you again soon,
Harrisly Yours.

Antoine Villette

Reviewed October 24, 2010

This is a new hotel so everything's in great shape, really clean and working perfectly. The location is perfect since it's literally inside a mall where you can buy any daily stuff you need and choose your meals from a large variety of food chains and food courts. One thing I would like to suggest to the apparently active GM on this site is to improve the efficiency of the front desk (or basically everybody in the lobby) staff.

Check in took about 30 mins with only 1 guest in front of me (in my queue). The other guest on the other queue took about the same time. I understand that you need to verify indentity, get deposit info and all but I would expect a much more efficient (faster) working manner from the staff. There's also 1 guy (might be the bell boy but was at the same counter desk) who just stood to my right and just watched at the line without offering any assistance. In the evening I asked for a change of towel, called 0 twice, told that the housekeeping staff would be up asap. 3 phone calls and 30 mins later, I finally got the towels! Check out was fine (8-10 mins), but there was NO concierge there for a good 15-20 mins when I wanted to take my luggage. The front desk people could not be bothered to help (said that he called the concierge already).

Other than that, the stay was perfect. I would definitely come back again and hopefully I'd see an improvement on the staff since everything else in Harris was pleasantly GOOD.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
HarrisKG, General Manager at HARRIS Hotel & Conventions Kelapa Gading Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your review which is a precious source of information in order to improve our service.
We sincerely apology for the time spent at the reception and for the delay to get the towels changed. As a matter of fact, we are now recruiting additional Employees to reduce the waiting delay at the reception: 2 front desk Agents have started yesterday and 1 new telephone operator will be on board very soon.
We also highly appreciate your other positive comments and are pleased to read that you had an overall good stay @ HARRIS Kelapa Gading.
Looking forward to welcoming you again and to show you the expected improvement,

Antoine Villette