Ways to Experience Thousand Islands
All reviews speed boat sepa island pulau seribu tiger island marina ancol white sand great island day trip clear water blue sky short escape local food jakarta city palau diving coral pari
Selected filters
Reviewed June 4, 2019

We went to visit 3 island closest to Jakarta city and Ancol Marina. It was Onrust, Bidadari, and I forgot the name of other one. Event though it isn't as we expected but it's still ok I think for local people for a short escape. It takes only 30 mins cruising to get there.

Date of experience: June 2019
Reviewed May 18, 2019

This is best place to go in whole indonesia! I stoped in Pulau Macan (tiger island) and before arriving on island, i was terrified with all garbage that I saw near Jakarta sea but I was really surprised when I saw thousand islands, water is so clean and beautiful

Date of experience: August 2018
3  Thank tourleaderinflorence
Reviewed May 8, 2019

Located in the Bay of Jakarta are a cluster of approximately 100 islands referred to as the Thousand Islands. Still part of the province of DKI Jakarta these islands vary in size, use, and facilities. Stretching 45km north from Jakarta’s harbours into the Java Sea, the district capital of the Islands is located on Pramuka Island where local infrastructure such as schools, residential housing, and medical facilities are available to the local population. The remaining islands consist of two heritage listed sites associated with the VOC and the Dutch colonial empire, community and government land, privately owned islands, and uninhabited islands supporting the local fishing community. A small handful of the larger islands have been developed to accommodate tourism.
The Thousand Islands enjoys a steady patronage of predominantly domestic tourists. Islands such as Ayer, Bidadari, Kotok, Putri, Pantara and Sepa offer guests an array of activities to enjoy including snorkelling, diving, water sports, beach volleyball and a spot of fishing off of the jetties. For an overnight stay, a variety of accommodation is available via a number of local tour companies that can be found online. Most of the accommodation available is in the form of cottages both on the island and over the clear waters of the shores. Each island’s accommodation package listed will generally offer a per person rate and detail the number of meals and boat arrival and departure times.

Activities, amenities and the level of service offered by each of the islands will vary according to the size and facilities available. Selecting the island best suited for you will depend on whether or not you are travelling alone, with a travelling companion or with family. The type of activities you are inclined to enjoy will also determine your selection of island. As a general rule, the farther the island from the jetty in Jakarta the clearer the water.
A short 30-minute boat or jet-ski ride from the dock in Jakarta will bring you to an underwater aquarium attached to a resort style hotel, however snorkelling at this location is generally not advisable.
Over all, Thousand Islands is a perfect place for a weekend getaway or for your to rejuvenate yourself. Enjoy!

Date of experience: July 2018
3  Thank snavi153
Reviewed April 21, 2019

I had long desire of seeing coral beaches. Photos of Maldives attracted me. When we planned a trip to Jakarta along two friends, this was only me, who kept insisting about visiting thousand island.

First day we reached Marina around 10 AM , only to be informed it is little late . all boats leave Marina by 8 AM. Marina is base station for speed boats to going different islands.There are around 10 islands which are developed by govt for tourists.

Second day we reached in time and selected Palau Sepa island. Round trip was around 100 SGD, that included lunch and boats in islands and assistance in boats.we happily took our seats in Speed boat. It was 20 seat speed boat. Boat started in time. It was sunny. we were told by booking agent,it is around 2 hour journey. for initial one hour it was normal. my experience with sea journey was limited to max 2 hours in big 200 seat speed boats that too from Singapore.
Any way after one hour i felt boat is taking higher jumps and waves in water were also higher. Color of water was also blacker. Sky quickly became cloudy. However i was good. Suddenly i saw few of my co passengers reaching for life jackets , then i noticed water hitting window pane. few people closed their windows. i said OK, but what really scared me, when lady started offering prayer. that made me reach for my life jacket. I examined it, it was different from the way air hostess used to show us. It was rather simple. But zip is broken. by this time sea was more rough and boat was making loud chatt.. sound every time it touched the water after a jump. I moved towards the driver of boat. I realized he can not speak English like many other Jakarta residents. But he was in control, at least he did that by his silent gestures. it remained like this for next 30 minutes and later it became calm, Sun God emerged silencing Sea God. we reached island
It was so beautiful , light green coral beaches. there were so many photo ops. With green sea in back ground on beach. with black sea in back ground on jetty. There were small shops for snacks. you can take the entire round of island on foot.
We entered the water, it was waist deep till 100 meters and nicely marked. Only to know in water, coral beaches are stony, those stone make it look beautiful. I hurt my foot. Then we took boat. It was windy and difficult to row boat into sea. after 30 minute of fun filled struggle with boat. we came out of water.
Lunch was nicely arranged and freshly prepared. i being vegetarian could had one dish and rice, but my friends told ,it was nice specially some fish. During lunch we were visited by a 3 feet lizard.
we started our return journey at 2 pm. Return journey was smooth.

Date of experience: February 2019
8  Thank kapil s
Reviewed March 29, 2019

Indonesia, an archipelago of a THOUSAND ISLANDS, compromises many idyllic resort islands set amongst lush palm trees, crystal-clear waters and sandy white beaches.

There are many islands for a one day trip ranging from 90-120 minutes speedboat trip. According to other reviews, the further one is away from the city, the less the pollution and the cleaner/clearer the waters.

We participated in the SEPA ISLAND tour (see my review) which included a buffet lunch, a canoe ride, welcome drinks and insurance. See attachment pictures for other day trips.

20 minutes: Ayer
90 minutes island: Royal Island, Putri, Sepa
120 minutes island: Macan, Genting Kecil, Pelangi, Pantara
Overnight: Pulau Pari, Pulau Harapan, Pulau Tidung Pulau Pramuka

SUMMARY

So many treasure islands to explore with calm waters, serene scenery, water activities and great holiday vibes.

Date of experience: October 2018