“Cleanliness is the only problem I have with his hotel. Everything else is ok..”

Studio One Residence
Ranked #55 of 336 Jakarta B&B and Inns
manila
Reviewed March 9, 2011

Check in was a bit difficult because receptionist isn't familiar with the modified reservation online. He insisted that I pay for a higher amount, even if the agoda statement I have states the amount I should be paying because i modified me reservation. Since it was past midnight, I had to talk to the manager regarding the final charge the next day.

Security is well maintained because you have to have a key to access the elevator and you can only access the floor where your room is located.

Manager is soooooooooooo friendly, very accomodating and perfectly hospitable. He even helped us with our tour arrangements and asked us how your room was.

Location is ok. 10-15 minute walk to Grand Indonesia. Restaurants are nearby along the highway.

Wifi is expensive. You have to buy a card from the reception. I asked why the internet wasn't free, manager said they're still negotiating with the provider to give them the lowest possible price.

Breakfast is crap. Literally. It's just plain bread with jams OR fried rice with egg..

Cleanliness is the only problem I have with the hotel. (See pics uploaded). Towels won't be changed unless you request for it to be changed.

Other than that, I like the hotel's interior design and staff's hospitality.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank khrise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Studio One is near to Kudul train station and offers a no frills accomodation like the Tune hotels in Malaysia do. Though it´s next to a main road you won´t recognize that, once the window is closed. Breakfast is simple but included, Wifi is free but no PC terminal is available - that´s quite inconvenient coz you won´t find any internet shop in this area. The room also lacks soap, a small towel and a room safe (the hotel hasn´t got one either). The staff is nice but often they can´t help you because they don´t know the answer or don´t understand you correctly. Besides that the price is right and you´ve got a nice acco in a safe neighbourhood (though there´s a slum alongside the tracks just behind the hotel). The restaurants here are more of the international gruesome kind.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I stayed here for four nights from 15th to the 20th of February, the staff were nice and helpful though they spoke very little English. The hotel location is ok and only 10 minutes walk to Plaza Indonesia and Grand Indonesia both upmarket shopping malls. The room is small and modern, the bed sheet and pillow case wasn't clean so I had them changed. However later on I discovered that the bathroom/ toilet was very dirty and after speaking with the management and the cleaner, the cleaner reluctantly came and brushed the toilet bowl which did improve things but it still was not clean.

I didn't have a shower as I was worried about catching any diseases because the shower was very dirty, specially the shower curtain. I complained and had the shower curtain replaced in the afternoon though I requested this in the morning. There are soap stains all over the shower wall and floor and the cleaner didn't bother to clean them when I requested and it smelt very bad.

The breakfast is bad and I wouldn't bother having breakfast there unless you are very hungry and want enough fuel to reach a restaurant or something. They served Nasi Goreng but it had nothing in it like chicken and egg, plain and cold rice. The next day they had steamed rice again cold and no fried eggs left so I asked the girl at the reception and she kindly cooked me an egg which was nice.

They have wifi but it's very expensive so don't bother, go to Grand Indonesia and use the free wifi provided there either in the cafes or outside.

This hotel is a very budget hotel and for the money you pay the room is ok if it's clean but I wouldn't set my expectations high.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank saiah
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I have discovered Studio One through Trip Advisor when searching for a affordable modern budget hotel. The location is very near the Sudirman train station which is approx. 10 minutes walk from behind the hotel. We have paid IDR 275.000/night incl. breakfast. The room was really minimalist furnitured but in a modern setting and color. The best option in our room was the good mattress, clean toilet & shower with soap/shampoo dispenser! Believe me if I tell you that CLEAN sanitary facility in Indonesian budget and some 4**** hotels are far to find!
We have stayed for three nights, 10-11 (#304) and 24 (#305) January at Studio One.

About the breakfast, don't be too excited about this! The breakfast which I discovered on the 11th was truly sad, the previous morning we had no breakfast at Studio One due traveling plans.
There was only left over bread at 9:15(!) with the selection of a small pot of jam, peanut butter chocolate paste NO butter! Coffee powder & tea bags was available from a jar then you have to add hot water from a large canteen thermos which you regularly will find it at a construction workers facility.
There is also a toaster machine on the "buffet". When I asked for alternative breakfast, the reception staff apologized there are no other option than what I've seen on the buffet..

After we left Studio One for a trip to Bali and Jogyakarta we've stayed again on the 24th for one night. This time the breakfast was much improved, there was basic Nasi goreng (fried rice) and fried eggs available. But due our previous bad experience I bought some nasi uduk and fresh baked cakwee with steamed banana outside the hotel vendors for less than IDR 10.000 I've read in previous reviews that Studio One (reception) staff was not willingly to help with the baggage, maybe due language barriers. But I do speak Indonesian fluently and I experienced that generally all staff are a bit on a distance..
As the woman behind the buffet on the 24th of January, when I said good morning in Indonesian language, she didn't replied at all. Obviously she was more interested in her Black Berry!
Unfortunately when we checked in our room 305, I've discovered that housekeeping did not cleaned properly the toilet.. there was still some spots(!) viewable from the previous guest. I reported this to the reception and they took action for my complaint.
Just because Studio One offered an affordable neat room with good bed and shower in a quiet area, I will recommend others for this hotel. Be aware; WiFi is NOT free!
BUT the management should be more aware of their staff attitude, especially for those who represent directly their hospitality at front to their guests. I experienced far more better services and attitudes to their guests on Bali with the same hotel classification.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
ho chi minh city, vietnam
Reviewed January 30, 2011

We stayed here for a couple of nights in Jakarta. The hotel was ok, it was clean and in a quiet area. However, there is not much to do nearby, only big shopping plazas and malls. The room was really too small, especially for two people. The room only fit a bed; there was no room to walk around. The bathroom was very small, and they did not provide hand soap or toilet paper (we had to ask). The sink is outside of the bathroom, in the main room. It is ok if you don't mind a small room, but I'd rather pay less for a room like this. Also, the staff did not help us with our bags or much else. Maybe it is a language barrier issue.

If you want a hotel near all the shopping malls, then this is it, but if you want to see some interesting parts of Jakarta then stay elsewhere. If you don't like small, cramped rooms, then definitely don't go for this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Brasov, Romania
Reviewed January 22, 2011

The hotel looks very new and it is situated in a quite area, by walking you can reach at plaza indonesia in 10 minutes, there is only a railway behind the hotel but seems that there are not passing any trains during the day and night.
  We staied only for two nights and it was ok, the room it is not so big but still you have enough space, at this rate ( about 250.000 idr/night ) it was the best option!

• Stayed January 2011
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I found this hotel from trip advisor's email and decided to give it a try. What I like most from this hotel is the online internet booking facility and its fixed price policy. The room was small, nice and clean. Breakfast had only one menu, but the quality was good. The hot water was my best experience as compared to my previous stays in much bigger hotels in Jakarta so far. If you want to go to Grand Indonesia or other places, the cheapest way is by taking Busway. In the morning, I saw many people walking towards Busway station so I found my way quite easily by following the crowd.
One drawback is the difficulty to find this hotel for first timers. If you take taxi from Cengkareng airport, you should ask the driver to go to Jalan Sudirman and then make a round turn in Bundaran Thamrin (Thamrin Roundabout) to enter Jalan Blora. Turn right at the traffic light and then turn left at the second small road. I called the hotel staff to explain the hotel location to my taxi driver. The hotel is also quite noisy, however I can understand this.
Definitely I will come to this hotel again since it can meet my expectation for a decent budget hotel. I recommend this hotel for budget travelers who have a clear picture where to go and how to go around in Jakarta.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo