“bizarre and spooky place”

Jakarta Bed & Breakfast
Jakarta Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #132 of 341 Jakarta B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 29, 2009

It took me 2.5 hours by cab to reach this place. The cab driver had to ask twice. On hostelbookers, this place advertises itself as close to Blok M, where you can take the Transjakarta bus into the city centre. The truth is, it's an hour by car. Of course, the horrendous Jakarta traffic doesn't help.

I arrived late at night and when I walked into the complex, it looked really nice. Nice pool. Well kept garden. However, when I was taken to my room, it turned out that my room was in the back of the family's living room. I had to ask for a key. The room itself was spartan. Just a bed and a dresser, but the dresser was full of the family's stuff. I do admit that it was very clean.

The hot water in the bathroom didn't work. Also, there were little bottles of already opened shampoo and soap there. And a toothbrush. Not sure if that was for the guest, or if it was their personal stuff. I didn't touch any. No towel provided, either.

After I had taken a shower, I walked outside to ask someone if there was a restaurant somewhere (this is a very residential neighbourhood), but I couldn't find anybody. The web site advertised an internet connection, but it wasn't working. I decided to just go to bed and it was very quiet at night. The bed was good. I slept well.

The next morning I was provided with a pretty good breakfast. They did arrange for a cab for me.

However, for 25 USD a night, I don't think it's a good deal. This place is simply too far from the city centre and it's really hard to get to.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo