“Classically great service and great atmosphere”
Review of Cafe Batavia

Cafe Batavia
Ranked #21 of 7,977 Restaurants in Jakarta
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I went here for an American Thanksgiving lunch alone, and this restaurant did not disappoint. Cafe Batavia has a great "Midnight in Paris" vibe; it's classic and plays great music. It also has a fantastic ambience both downstairs in the darker bar area and upstairs in the airy dining area with a nice view of Old Town. There are old school photos lining the walls that add to the decor.

The service here is close to impeccable. Servers are timely and know how to serve in a classic way. Everything arrived at just the right time. Even the utensil delivery was perfect.

Cafe Batavia isn't exactly cheap, especially considering that the balance of your dining options in the vicinity are hawker stalls serving dirt cheap dishes. For $11, I had a BIG Caesar salad and some nice wontons that didn't disappoint. The ambience and classic nature of the restaurant made it well worth it.

Definitely a great place to check out if you're in Old Town. It's a piece of history.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Batavia

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Nothing special with the foods and drinks but stunning building, decoration and atmosphere. Very calm, and just what you need when you feel fed up with malls, bars, clubs and crowds in Jakarta. I will certainly come back to enjoy the place again.

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

I reserved a meeting package since 1 month before, and when I came to finalize my orders they said that the reservation was not in their system and my allocated time and place was taken by someone else. And they even blamed me for not "finalizing" beforehand. Such a shame for a restaurant with a good reputation.

1  Thank Darrell F
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Cafe Batavia takes you back into the colonial times. With a visit to the historical sides surrounding the Cafe you will have a unique experience. Drinks are great but we were not happy with the food at all (Ceasar Salad and Dumplings). I will definitely come back for drinks but not for dinning.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

The fans. I shall never understand the uselessness of those fans, spinning laconically in semi drunken circles, mixing the stale heated Jakarta air. Thank god for air conditioning. My partner and I went during lunchtime, and since he has lived there for some time, knew the dishes to order. And the drinks, which do not disappoint. They are strong and to the point. Alcoholic. Caipirinhas and bloody Mary's to start and then straight onto the mains. We toyed with the idea of choosing from the western menu, but honestly why waste your time on pale comparisons we thought. We ordered randomly food which was somewhat pronounceable. Thank heavens for descriptions: oxtail soups and rice. Lots of rice. My word was there rice. And all so delicious. Another round of drinks were needed to help wash down the general deliciousness and then we finally strolled into the summer heat. If only we had stayed there longer.

Fantastic atmosphere and great food. For Indonesia it's on the dear side, but for quantity and quality, when compared to say London, fantastic value. A definite place to visit on your travels!