“2nd Stay - It's Getting Better”

Hotel Indonesia Kempinski
Ranked #27 of 470 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed April 15, 2010

This is my 2nd stay @ Kempinski. The staffs are noticeably friendlier and much more professional. In my 1st stay December 2009, the staffs were cold.

Rooms are fabolous as ever, modern and clean. Love their electric toilet. Get a room with view to HI (deluxe room and suite). We didn't bother checking the executive lounge as it was poorly stocked with food and drinks.

The only gripe that we can hear our neighbors coughing and playing TV loudly in their bath rooms. it seems that all bathrooms have ventilation pipe that connects one with another. Not sure if the hotel care or can address this issue whatsoever.

location --> Great....I'd stay here again.

Swimming pool -> There's a male staff wandering around in women's locker room !! Beware.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed March 4, 2010

I have stayed at 7 of the top ten rated hotels in Jakarta and this by far the best. For years I have read these reviews but never felt compelled to add a review of my own, until now. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm sure the ones who have made comments on this hotel felt their experience justified their rating. From my perspective everything was top quality.
Check in was smooth, room was one of the best I've seen in my travels to 13 Asian countries, food was excellent and the only thing which exceeded these hotel features was the service. It was second to none. Everyone was smiling and helpful...everyone. Pool and gym are terrific and location is the best. If you are planning a trip to Jakarta for business or pleasure this is the hotel without question. Others are certainly good but in my opinion do not measure quite as high as Kempinski. A great experience.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Checked into the room on the 30th of Dec, and chose the hotel because of the location at Bunderan HI, the city centre of Jakarta. We booked the Executive Deluxe Room which stated that we get a room with a view of the roundabout (Bunderan HI). However upon checking in, the receptionist mentioned our room does not have a view of the roundabout. And he seemed adamant that we won't be getting a room with the view when our booking slip specifically stated a room with a view. As I understand it, the hotel was also pretty full with many guests checking in for the new year's eve celebrations as the hotel will be a vantage point to view the fireworks at the Bunderan HI.

There was much waiting before the manager could so call 'upgrade' us to an executive deluxe suite which had a view as stated on the reservation. Even then, it was a room on the 2nd floor, which wasn't totally great. Anyway the Executive rooms occupants also get to enjoy the lounge facilities. Even after getting the rooms, the receptionist never offered to show us our rooms or explain the amenities we get in more details, which is usually the norm in other hotels of this standard.

The executive deluxe suite which we have been upgraded to was fortunately great, with 2 queen beds, and an amazing bathroom with a huge tub. Both bedroom and bathroom has huge windows facing the roundabout. There was a large enough LCD TV though it is of an Indonesian brand (Polytron). Picture was alright though. Being a suite, there was also a couch and sitting area. Executive Lounge on the 7th floor was alright, and it reeks of cigarette smoke in the afternoon. There was some small portions of cakes and they had an adequate range of drinks available. Cocktails and alcoholic drinks are only served between 7-9pm, I think. We chose to have breakfast in the main restaurant at the lobby level instead of the small lounge for a wider variety. The breakfast choice was good and service at the lounge and lobby-level restaurant was much better than the reception. One great feature of the hotel was its free internet (wired and wireless) in the room when other hotels like Ritz Carlton charges exorbitant rates for it. Internet was alright, though this being Indonesia, don't expect fast service.

Overall, this would be a great hotel to stay if you don't need great service. It works for travellers who need a comfortable room, and have easy access to Grand Indonesia, the largest shopping mall in town. However, if you are picky about service, choose Grand Hyatt/Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton/Hotel Mulia instead.

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed January 16, 2010

Normally I would rate this Hotel with 5 points - but since it's a business hotel and it offers quite slow and unreliable Wi-Fi internet (room and executive lounge) connection I'm deducting one point.

The hotel is centrally located (3-in-1 area), is modern, stylish and clean. As a Kempinski "Private Concierge" member I have been picked up after passport control, everything has been taken care of, transport in a new S-Class Mercedes was free of charge, the welcome personal. I've been upgraded to a very nice Suite (aircon didn't work one evening an the room was overheated - but they fixed it) with an impressive WC.

Other than written by others before I have to say that the food at the club lounge was very nice and the selction quite wide (I think me any my business partner had been the only guests there). We got nice freebies. The breakfast was a bit limited but - if you want - you have the choice to have breakfast at the ground floor restaurant instead (free of charge).

The only thing I can complain of is the internet, the rest was just perfect.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank HONkiev
Reviewed January 15, 2010

This is the last hotel we stayed in Indonesia from the 6 hotels we were at. It is a very new and luxurious hotel, but I must say I was not extremelly impressed with it. At check in the staff was helpful and polite but of course not really personal, this is just business is what you feel when you check in at the reception. I dont know if it was the change coming from Bali to Jakarta, a much more busy city, with much more stress and traffic that made me see the things this way, but I got the feeling that the hotel was a bit cold and not personal.

Getting around after the check in was a real challenge, the hotel is very nicely designed but also very, very confusing, finding the lift was already a challenge, it is like walking in a maze......, but we made it. Anyway, everytime we got out of the room, I specially, got lost again!!!

The room was one of the most modern rooms I've ever stayed in, it has controls with buttons to warn the house keeping if you want them to make your room or not or if you want them to do your bed and clean - no more cartoon signs to hang outside of the door, no!! that is too old fashion for this room, I do recomend that you ask the bell boy to show you how to use all the gadgets before you close the door and find yourself completely lost!

The room is decorated in a very modern style, there was a desk of glass to work and it gives you the feeling of being a business hotel more than a holiday hotel. The bathroom was amazing, huge bathtub and a japanese TOTO toilette, very modern automatic and with all the gadgets that this toiletts have, I will post a photo shortly. In difference with our cozy hotel in Pemuteran, this one had a huge flat screen tv with more than 100 channels to choose from :)

There is a spa and fitness center in the top floor and a nice pool. But the most important is that the hotel is linked to the Grand Indonesia mall, (a new mall) by a passage, so you dont need to leave the hotel to go shopping.

The breakfast buffett is also HUGE!!!!, I recommend you to go early enough if you want to see it all, not that you can eat all, just to be able to see it all!!!

It was one of the most expensive hotels we stayed in, but I would say it was worth it and I would recommend this hotel if your plans include a serious shopping tour.

Enjoy Jakarta!!

Pati-chueca

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pati-chueca
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed January 4, 2010

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed December 28, 2009

This was my return trip to Hotel Indonesia after having spent time there earlier this year when it was newly opened.
What I find most impressive about the hotel is its location. Shopping haven is right next to the hotel. The view of Bunderan Indonesia from my room is a fantastic bonus.
But as has been mentioned by others, some of the hotel's services needs some tweeking up. The only issue i have with the hotel is house keeping.
As with my previous visit, the carpet was not properly vacumed when I checked in. There were still bits of plastic and paper on the carpet when I arrived into my room. Also, I was given a room on the non smoking floor but of course it reeked of cigarette smoke upon entry. The smell finally cleared on my 3rd night after frequent requests to housekeeping to deodorise the room. House keeping also failed to clean in room coffee mugs properly. It was always stained.
Apart from these gripes, I still find this a really nice hotel thus my return stay. The staff is young and eager to please but at times seems inexperienced and a little lost in direction. The buffet breakfast has a great spread of food with the most fantastic selection of yummy pastries. Complimentary wifi is much appreciated. The room service menu can do with some more indonesian dishes.
I look forward to a return visit soon.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo