“Superb Rooms but let down by Quality of Service”

Hotel Indonesia Kempinski
Ranked #12 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Singapore, Singapore
“Superb Rooms but let down by Quality of Service”
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Checked into the room on the 30th of Dec, and chose the hotel because of the location at Bunderan HI, the city centre of Jakarta. We booked the Executive Deluxe Room which stated that we get a room with a view of the roundabout (Bunderan HI). However upon checking in, the receptionist mentioned our room does not have a view of the roundabout. And he seemed adamant that we won't be getting a room with the view when our booking slip specifically stated a room with a view. As I understand it, the hotel was also pretty full with many guests checking in for the new year's eve celebrations as the hotel will be a vantage point to view the fireworks at the Bunderan HI.

There was much waiting before the manager could so call 'upgrade' us to an executive deluxe suite which had a view as stated on the reservation. Even then, it was a room on the 2nd floor, which wasn't totally great. Anyway the Executive rooms occupants also get to enjoy the lounge facilities. Even after getting the rooms, the receptionist never offered to show us our rooms or explain the amenities we get in more details, which is usually the norm in other hotels of this standard.

The executive deluxe suite which we have been upgraded to was fortunately great, with 2 queen beds, and an amazing bathroom with a huge tub. Both bedroom and bathroom has huge windows facing the roundabout. There was a large enough LCD TV though it is of an Indonesian brand (Polytron). Picture was alright though. Being a suite, there was also a couch and sitting area. Executive Lounge on the 7th floor was alright, and it reeks of cigarette smoke in the afternoon. There was some small portions of cakes and they had an adequate range of drinks available. Cocktails and alcoholic drinks are only served between 7-9pm, I think. We chose to have breakfast in the main restaurant at the lobby level instead of the small lounge for a wider variety. The breakfast choice was good and service at the lounge and lobby-level restaurant was much better than the reception. One great feature of the hotel was its free internet (wired and wireless) in the room when other hotels like Ritz Carlton charges exorbitant rates for it. Internet was alright, though this being Indonesia, don't expect fast service.

Overall, this would be a great hotel to stay if you don't need great service. It works for travellers who need a comfortable room, and have easy access to Grand Indonesia, the largest shopping mall in town. However, if you are picky about service, choose Grand Hyatt/Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton/Hotel Mulia instead.

• Stayed December 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Odessa, Ukraine
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,547 helpful votes
Reviewed January 16, 2010

Normally I would rate this Hotel with 5 points - but since it's a business hotel and it offers quite slow and unreliable Wi-Fi internet (room and executive lounge) connection I'm deducting one point.

The hotel is centrally located (3-in-1 area), is modern, stylish and clean. As a Kempinski "Private Concierge" member I have been picked up after passport control, everything has been taken care of, transport in a new S-Class Mercedes was free of charge, the welcome personal. I've been upgraded to a very nice Suite (aircon didn't work one evening an the room was overheated - but they fixed it) with an impressive WC.

Other than written by others before I have to say that the food at the club lounge was very nice and the selction quite wide (I think me any my business partner had been the only guests there). We got nice freebies. The breakfast was a bit limited but - if you want - you have the choice to have breakfast at the ground floor restaurant instead (free of charge).

The only thing I can complain of is the internet, the rest was just perfect.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank HONkiev
Switzerland
Reviewed January 15, 2010

This is the last hotel we stayed in Indonesia from the 6 hotels we were at. It is a very new and luxurious hotel, but I must say I was not extremelly impressed with it. At check in the staff was helpful and polite but of course not really personal, this is just business is what you feel when you check in at the reception. I dont know if it was the change coming from Bali to Jakarta, a much more busy city, with much more stress and traffic that made me see the things this way, but I got the feeling that the hotel was a bit cold and not personal.

Getting around after the check in was a real challenge, the hotel is very nicely designed but also very, very confusing, finding the lift was already a challenge, it is like walking in a maze......, but we made it. Anyway, everytime we got out of the room, I specially, got lost again!!!

The room was one of the most modern rooms I've ever stayed in, it has controls with buttons to warn the house keeping if you want them to make your room or not or if you want them to do your bed and clean - no more cartoon signs to hang outside of the door, no!! that is too old fashion for this room, I do recomend that you ask the bell boy to show you how to use all the gadgets before you close the door and find yourself completely lost!

The room is decorated in a very modern style, there was a desk of glass to work and it gives you the feeling of being a business hotel more than a holiday hotel. The bathroom was amazing, huge bathtub and a japanese TOTO toilette, very modern automatic and with all the gadgets that this toiletts have, I will post a photo shortly. In difference with our cozy hotel in Pemuteran, this one had a huge flat screen tv with more than 100 channels to choose from :)

There is a spa and fitness center in the top floor and a nice pool. But the most important is that the hotel is linked to the Grand Indonesia mall, (a new mall) by a passage, so you dont need to leave the hotel to go shopping.

The breakfast buffett is also HUGE!!!!, I recommend you to go early enough if you want to see it all, not that you can eat all, just to be able to see it all!!!

It was one of the most expensive hotels we stayed in, but I would say it was worth it and I would recommend this hotel if your plans include a serious shopping tour.

Enjoy Jakarta!!

Pati-chueca

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pati-chueca
kuala lumpur
Reviewed December 28, 2009

This was my return trip to Hotel Indonesia after having spent time there earlier this year when it was newly opened.
What I find most impressive about the hotel is its location. Shopping haven is right next to the hotel. The view of Bunderan Indonesia from my room is a fantastic bonus.
But as has been mentioned by others, some of the hotel's services needs some tweeking up. The only issue i have with the hotel is house keeping.
As with my previous visit, the carpet was not properly vacumed when I checked in. There were still bits of plastic and paper on the carpet when I arrived into my room. Also, I was given a room on the non smoking floor but of course it reeked of cigarette smoke upon entry. The smell finally cleared on my 3rd night after frequent requests to housekeeping to deodorise the room. House keeping also failed to clean in room coffee mugs properly. It was always stained.
Apart from these gripes, I still find this a really nice hotel thus my return stay. The staff is young and eager to please but at times seems inexperienced and a little lost in direction. The buffet breakfast has a great spread of food with the most fantastic selection of yummy pastries. Complimentary wifi is much appreciated. The room service menu can do with some more indonesian dishes.
I look forward to a return visit soon.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
JAKARTA
Reviewed December 26, 2009

Kempinski Jakarta is actually the historic Hotel Indonesia, the country’s first 5-star hotels opened during Indonesia’s first President. After closed for extensive renovation, it was re-opened last year and managed by Kempinski.

Arrival

The hotel appears to enjoy good occupancy during my arrival judging by the crowd in the lobby. There wasn’t a long queue but the staff was taking exceptionally long time to check-in one of the guests before me. After checked-in, he escorted me to the room. I booked a Executive Deluxe room and was upgraded to a Junior suite.

The Room

The room was at the newly opened Ganesha wing which include Executive Club Lounge access and accompanied benefits. The room is decorated in a mixture of style, mixing classical with modern-retro, and while the advertised room size was 68m2, it appears much smaller visually because of the use of oversized-furniture and the room’s low ceiling. The layout is the typical rectangular bed/workdesk/sitting area layout. The view facing the famous Jakarta Welcome Monument round-about is very nice. In the evening, the water fountain around the Monument and the lights makes a pleasant view. Other room amenities include a 42” LCD TV, and iPod speakerdock ( iHome ) and cordless phone. Wireless internet is complimentary. There’s no DVD player, which is puzzling considering that DVD players are very cheap nowadays.

The ensuite bathroom is fully marbled and luxurious with fittings from Toto. Water pressure in the shower cubicle thankfully is strong. The weird spoon-shape bathtub looks nice but is not practical being that the shape makes it difficult to lie down and have a proper soak because the body kept getting “sink” into the tub due to it’s curvy shape. There’s a TV next to the bathtub but it’s not very elegant, being fastened to the wall with protruding wires, sort of like a afterthought. The toilet is quite interesting. It’s the latest Electronic toilet design ( Toto Neoforest ), I believe the first of it’s kind in Jakarta. The towels and bathrobes are fluffy and thick, a plus. However the included toiletries are generic brands and poor quality.

For a “suite”, there’s no walk-in closet. The wardrobe was positioned inconveniently at the entrance instead of next to the bathroom. The lighting of the room is a bit quirky. There is a master switch that only can turn on and off every single light in the room. Lights must then be switched on or off individually.

Overall, it’s quite a nice hotel room but certainly not top of the line, which is not expected in Jakarta. However, it’s also not as nice Jakarta’s Ritz Carlton either.

Club Lounge

The welcome letter from Guest Manager introduced the Club Lounge as having “continuous food and beverage offering” with 5 servings, ie breakfast, light lunch, afternoon tea, evening cocktail and midnight snack ( chocolates and cookies ). It looks good on paper but in reality, it’s a massive disappointment.

To be blunt and straight forward, this is the most pathetic hotel club lounge I have ever encountered during all my hotel stays. The light lunch, afternoon tea and evening cocktail are the exact same two trays of food ( see photo ), one of which are just some mini sandwiches and the other, an assortment of bite size desserts. The breakfast is just standard items lifted directly from the café breakfast, with less variety. The evening cocktail is again the exact same two trays of food with the additional of some generic wines. It is astonishingly bad. I’ve extensive experience with hotel club lounge, ranging from superb to the mundane. But even the most mundane hotel club lounge will at least put up a decent variety of food during evening cocktail, including at least some hot items. Not the Kempinski. Perhaps the food serving was so lacking because there’s almost nobody using the club lounge so that management want to cut cost by not putting up any decent food offerings. This is the worst club lounge I have experienced, totally not worth it.

Throughout my stay, I only meet one other guest. It’s empty most of the time and the staff looked really bored. The club lounge is also not very large, and again it’s one of those “knock down a few walls and make it a club lounge” kind of design.

This is not the way to run a club lounge. The Kempinski hotel management has better looked into this. It’s very poor value and bordering on being totally redundant.

Common Areas

The hotel is nicely decorated with an impressive glass lobby. The Nirvana lounge has a rather zen feel to it. The gym at the 18th floor is very nice and have some very up-to-date gym equipment and so is the outdoor swimming pool though the pool is on the small side. The Signature Restaurant serves good breakfast and evening buffet and the Indonesia food is among the best in Jakarta. The hotel is connected to the massive Grand Indonesia shopping town which is a added bonus. There is another big shopping mall, the Plaza Indonesia across the street.

It’s a hit and miss. When I was at the club lounge, I asked for a wet towel and the staff could not understand me and kept bringing me tissue paper instead. When he finally understood what I wanted, he told me that wet towels were available in the bathroom apparently expecting that I get them myself. I had to tell him to got in and get for me. Also, I was leaving my room to do some shopping; I called housekeeping to tell them to make up my room. 3 hours later when I returned, it was still not done. Also rather annoying is that it’s difficult to call the staff by telephone. Either no one was answering or it’s busy tone most of the time. Other than these few complaints, the staff were quite polite and nice, and room service was efficient and food tasty.

Conclusion

From my experience during the stay, the Kempinski Jakarta is still a long way from greatness. It is newer and has technically superior room amenities and gadgets compared to older hotels but in other areas, it pales in comparison. It’s service needs further polishing, the staff need to be more attentive and efficient. The club lounge is pathetic and either the hotel should just close it down or make a serious effort to improve the food offerings. At it’s current state, the hotel is simply not up to the standard of the two Ritz Carltons in Jakarta, who will remain my choice for true premium luxury hotels in Jakarta. I’ll rate it a mere passable 3/5.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
5 Thank BENLEE123
Honolulu
Reviewed December 11, 2009

First stay at Hotel Indonesia Kempinski and great to see how the property has come out after extensive remodelling.

Rooms are very spacious and comfortable, excellent use of mirrors and lighting to make the room feel bright and open. Great for a business person who needs to do some work in the room.

The hotel staff are young and eager, with friendly smiles everywhere. The service was competent with no fuss.

The location is excellent right in the centre of the city and adjacent to a huge new shopping centre with all the high-end stores (plus if you like batik, a great store called "Allure Batik").

Hotel amenities were excellent, great fitness ctr with very helpful staff.

Food quality was excellent, great range of breads and pastries for breakfast.

Best feature of the hotel are the beautiful rooms, incredible ballroom and also the friendly service.

Worst feature of the hotel was having to leave...

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business