“Suits business travellers”

Hotel Indonesia Kempinski
Ranked #12 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Have enjoyed staying at this hotel on recent trips to Jakarta - the King and King Deluxe rooms are nicely appointed; the breakfast offerings are decent (although somehow I still prefer the spread at Four Seasons, but that's just individual tastes).

One thing though, this hotel does not give you the feeling of 'home away from home'. Unlike the Four Seasons Jakarta where I can relax quietly at my 'own place' after a day of meetings, the Kempinski just gives off the business hotel vibes, which is not surprising considering its location, smacked right in front of a large scale shopping mall with other hotels in close vicinity, plus its modern (mirror-y) room decors.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indonesia Kempinski

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I recently stay in Kempinski GI Jakarta..... I book hotel from my travel agent... I choose the weekend rate as i will have a cheaper rate....

Pros:
-When i checked in, i was surprise that the reception offer me to upgrade room that facing the Grand Hyatt / HI Roundabout.... Nice :) when i go to room, i escorted with a well knowledge room boy.... and a surprise that my double bed is decorated with goose like shaped fluffy towel and an array of flower....
-The room was incredibly full of amenities.... Many reading magazine about hotel/Kempinski... Many free mineral water (local brand 2, and local luxury brand 2 - still and gas)... 5 choices of fresh fruit.... and 5 pieces of exquisitely chocolates..... yummy :) and many more...
-The lighting of the room was incredibly top, when you need to sleep you can setting it darker... (like other hotel), but if you want to bright ligthing, you can setting it ( thanks to luminous neon it the ceiling), and also very good reading lamp in the bed....
-Location: the hotel is located in HI Roundabout, which very downtown of Jakarta, which close to many offices - goverment to the north, and corporate to the north. The hotel is also connected to Grand Indonesia, which is one of premier shopping mall in Jakarta.... and just walk 1 minutes you also can go to another premier shopping mall, Plaza Indonesia/eX which you can buy luxury goods like LV, etc... Plaza Indonesia is connected to Grand Hyatt...
-Turndown service: they offer choices of aroma therapy in the room, and 4 choices of pillow
-Bathroom: the closet in the bathroom is equipped with state of the art technology, like in Korea's..... and also have a good bathtub, and powerful shower......
-Others: I like the design concept and also the Heritage side of the hotel ( like a inscription and photo of Soekarno - first Prisdent of Indonesia with Marlyn Monroe)

Standart:
-The flavor and choices of breakfast item is standart compare to another 5 star hotel (shangri-la is much more complete and much more delicious).
-Just only have one washbasin ( i think 2 washbasin which is standart to a 5 star hotel nowadays)
-Service: between top notch and standart.... Attitude of workers is standart... I see one unpity House Keeping that suddenly close the door when i walk closer to him (about 5 meters,I want to ask about hotel information). I also heard that 2 workers chit chat each other, they speak about hotel customer, they say that don't like to a Customer because have one customer that not give Tips .....

Recommended: Yes
Return to Sleep: Yes, but i want to try RC Pacific Place first....

Room Tip: Ask for High Floor with Thamrin and HI Roundabout view. :)
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FSB_81
Reviewed September 19, 2012

experience did not live up to expectation. Stayed 2 nights recently.

Design and decor just did not match the branding. There is an overall sense of chintz and kitsch, with mirrors adorning a large proportion of the room. Reminded me of those local macau hotels like lisboa / Arc.
Low ceiling also did not help, but this must be overlooked given that is a structural constraint, this being a refurbished heritage hotel.

The featured flatscreen tv was a let-down, due to choice of manufacturer. Response time was mind-boggling, gave up channel surfing.
Lighting and aircon controls counter-intuitive and a hassle
bathroom was the best part of the experience
Worst was the mosquito in my room

Try the competitors across the roads

Reviewed September 19, 2012

It truly boggles my mind how people can complain about this hotel. I moved here from the Borobudur hotel, which was quite bad, and this hotel is perfect in almost every single way. Bed comfortable, shower&bath awesome, TOILET is ridiculous - easily the most advanced toilet my bottom has ever graced. The breakfast is amazing, and the location is unbeatable.

It's so obvious that if you give people the chance to complain about anything, they will. I suppose this type of hotel attracts a self-selecting group of people that are accustomed to luxury - more than once while I was having breakfast, I overheard guests being seated complaining that they were being seated too far away from the buffet! First world problems much?? Unbelievable! If you can afford to stay here, don't hesitate!

Room Tip: Facing the street side...lots of good street watching.
1  Thank africantraveler1
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Having seen with my own eyes how bad Hotel Indonesia before it was managed by Kempinski, I have to say that it has transformed from a dying hotel into a world-class hotel. The highlight of this hotel is its very prime location overlooking the Bunderan HI, which is considered the very central of Jakarta. Another highlight is of course their beautifully designed rooms and oh that bathroom! Even for a Deluxe room the bathroom still has separate shower and toilet and also a huge bath.

Another convenience is that it's directly connected to Grand Indonesia, which is one of the leading malls in Jakarta. Breakfast selection was wonderful and has a lot of variety.

However I couldn't get a peaceful sleep because even at midnight, this area is still very very crowded and police siren were blasting through the night. Definitely not the choice for a quiet getaway.

The rooftop pool is small but unique since the view is actually the tall buildings in Jakarta.

Room Tip: Ask for the view to Bunderan HI for a wonderful night view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Korof
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Bad experience!, We stayed 2 nights last week with family, it was busy Idul Fitri holiday. Kempinski Hotel Indonesia is heritage famous hotel in Jakarta.

Day 1. Rough check in. No request delivered. They has never paid attention to detail. All request was come up reversal. The requests such as non smoking room request, upper floor, double bed were reverse become smoking room, lowest level room, 1 st floor facing trees and canopy and no double bed.

Lucky, we didnt accept that room right away, and requested alternative room even though we had to wait. Finally we got call and room floor 12th facing fountain were available. So excited!. Thanks.

It was huge room magnificent view into Bundaran HI. It has nice big bath room with automatic TOTO toilet. However, we noticed that the toilet was stink with bad toilet odor. We called housekeeper and she offered us an aroma therapy. However, we asked also the engineer to come. Instead of to fixed it, he argued that the odor is not exist. He just flushed in several times and convince me there was no leaking odor from drainage, and this is the first time he encountered this case. He tried to convince me by putting his face and smelt the toilet close very close. We pity him, and we gave up.

However, the smell was gone very bad at night.

Another nuisance was the air-con. The room"s air-con was so noisy like train passed by in the room. We called the manager at 3 am morning, and he offered me another room beside our room. I thanks him so much and requested to move in the morning. Thanks Mr. Azis. I wish your colleague offered me that room earlier.

Free internet was a good bonus here.

The breakfast's variety were awesome but the taste was average.

Day 2. We moved to another room. The drama were continued. The telephone line was disconnected, but they repaired it quite fast. The bath room is ok, but in fact, the odor was exist but not that bad.

In fact, If you passed the hotel corridor or the parking basement, you will smell that odor. The hotel need to pay attention to this.

Special mention: Interior design. This hotel to position it self, as a luxury hotel, but the best of this hotel, actually, the statue of famous artist Edhi Sunarso. His beautiful statue are every where.

I may not return to this Hotel until it reach really Kempinski service standard.

Room Tip: Get the upper floor and grand deluxe room for better view and larger room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank NGHC
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and I have just spent 3 nights at the Hotel Indonesia. Not only is this hotel an important piece of history, but it maintains its top-level quality. We stayed in 2 different rooms: one that overlooked the statue/fountain with an amazing view of Jalan Thamrin and another in the back that was just as nice and very quiet. Service was amazing. When I put in a room service order and was told the food would arrive in about one-half hour, the food arrived exactly on time. All the help was attentive, helpful and gracious. No request was too small. Hours after we checked out, my husband realized he had left his e-reader in our room. He called the hotel, told them the problem and when we returned several days later, My husband's e-reader was waiting for him. Most of all I'd like to mention the help we got from the Concierge Desk. Novie and Deka were so very helpful. Deka put together a-one day trip to Yogykarta that was perfection. We decided to go at the last minute and the arrangements were complicated. Deka got everything put together with no complaints. In fact he acted as though it was a pleasure and honor to be helping us with our travel plans. Novie was also wonderful and worked effectively and seamlessly with Deka to get all our arrangements in Jakarta and for day trips done. He helped with the lost e-reader and many last-minute requests. Novie and Deka are a wonderful team and their advice and arrangements were totally reliable. What a great hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple