“Shang Palace, Shangri-la Jakarta, Jakarta, Indonesia 20130529”
Review of SHANG PALACE

SHANG PALACE
Ranked #265 of 7,925 Restaurants in Jakarta
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: An advocate of the fragrance of Chinese culture, Shangri-La’s signature restaurant Shang Palace showcases traditional Cantonese cuisine and provincial specialties in an elegant and tranquil setting.
Singapore
“Shang Palace, Shangri-la Jakarta, Jakarta, Indonesia 20130529”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Shang Palace is the Chinese restaurant of the Shangri-la Hotel, Jakarta. Though traditional in appearance, its approach or “software” is decidedly more modern and fusion.

Chilled fresh tiger prawns with homemade orange sauce

Refreshing. Would have been more satisfying if it had been Tiger Prawns.

Sichuan hot and sour soup with crab meat

This had crunch and texture to it and that elevated it about the average masses.

Homemade bean curd with vegetarian ham, shimeji mushrooms and dried scallops

The standout of the evening. OMG! I had never tasted beancurd like that. It was firm to the touch of my chopsticks but when you bite into it, it was so smooth. The taste was so light, so light. OMG! I watch Japan Hour, a travel program on Japan shown on Channel Newsasia. Occasionally, they would showcase a restaurant where the beancurd is made with spring water. Spring water?! I can’t wait to taste it myself. Nihon ni ikimashio!

I would have preferred the sauce of this dish to be lighter. It was a little too heavy for my taste. The spinach was a very welcomed balance to the other meatier, starchier dishes.

Wok-fried US beef with green asparagus in red wine sauce

Hmmm….this is a pretty western dish in a traditional-looking restaurant. US beef. Succulent.

Fried rice with lobster meat and chili shrimp paste

I usually like my fried rice salty and hot from a lot of pepper. This doesn’t taste like that but hey, perhaps it’s just a different style.

Chilled mango sago cream

This is another highlight of the meal. I like the decidedly east meets west approach of pairing sago (Asian, traditional) with ice-cream (western).

The restaurant serves Tie Guan Yin tea as a welcome. The jasmine tea I chose to accompany my meal was the second best thing of the night (the first being the beancurd). Though I am not usually a Chinese tea drinker, I really enjoyed the tea and its fragrance. I like that they place a tealight under the teapot to keep the tea warm.

Like certain movie stars who look great on film and in photos, but really look quite ordinary in person, this restaurant photographs better than it looks. It’s not ugly but it really shines on digital.

The restaurant is quiet and the service attentive. It is a good place to enjoy a quiet Chinese meal and unwind from the traffic. Above all, come for the beancurd. IT IS WORTH IT.

For full review and complete set of photos, please visit http://travelrestauranthotel.com/blog/20130529-shang-palace-shangri-la-jakarta-jakarta-indonesia/#comments

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank The_TRH_Website

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
“great chinese food”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

very nice and helpfull staff as well as good food. I enjoyed eating in this restaurant very much. I recomend this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank andy s
Singapore
“Had the Vegetarian Buffet - decent food but service was not upto the mark”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I went to this place in a big group of almost 40. We were 3 vegetarians and ordered the set menu. The food was good but they just kept pushing the dishes all together. At one stage we had 3 dishes on our table together rather than waiting for one course to get over. The soup was served as the 3rd course. Basically they had started serving the non veg food and then when the veg food arrived they were in some hurry to keep getting it on the table. I have attended such set menu options at a lot of other places and they never rush the next course till you are done with the first. Looked like they were worked up and were not prepared for the veg set menu.

• Visited March 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice place, good service but the food is not tasty and long wait”
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Come here if you have time to wait and do not mind sub standard Chinese food. I had the Fujian mee sua with crab crawl. It tasted bitter. The crab crawl was nice but the vermicelli and soup tasted awful. It was bitter! The other night I had soup of the day. The waitress told me its pork but it turned out with two chicken feet in the soup!

“delicious!”
Reviewed January 2, 2009

delicious!

Been to SHANG PALACE? Share your experiences!