“great for picnic”
Review of Ragunan Zoo

Ragunan Zoo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The area is large and good for picnic. There is smuthzer-cage also to see gorillas. The zoo provide bike-rent if we want to see around. This zoo is not only good for family-relaxation but also sports. The collection of the animal not so many

Reviewed May 4, 2013

This large zoo is quite easy accesible with the Busway line. In my opinion, the most convenient way is to either change stations at Dukuh Atas from K1, or directly go from Sarinah (middle door) to Ragunan (grey buses). Once there the ticket is very cheap, I guess it was 4000 RP. However, the entry to the gorilla park costs another 8000 RP, but you can enjoy Ragunan even without visiting the gorilla park. Go to this zoo especially for the Komodo dragon, since all the other animals are easy to be seen at any other zoo. Since the zoo is large in area, do rent a bike and go around cycling. It was raining when I visited Ragunan, in these cases take your time having lunch in one of the Indonesian open air restaurants. The zookeepers are nice, and willing to help you in navigating to the animals. I was the only foreign visitor, as the rest were all locals. In short, a great place to go if you want to esape from the busy streets of Jakarta!

1  Thank Maccallen
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We really enjoyed our morning here ( we found it too hot to stay all day, and I'd recommend arriving as early as possible.) As much as anything, it's a beautiful park, busy in parts but I felt that just added to the atmosphere. There aren't animals everywhere you look, and it seems some people just come to enjoy the grounds, have a picnic etc, but there certianly are enough animals if you've got the energy to cover the whole zoo. We didn't see many other tourists ( which is a shame as I thought it was a great place to visit) and our fair haired children seemed almost to be an attraction in their own right! ( we had lots of friendly local families wanting to have their photos taken with them. The entrance fee is very cheap by UK standards ( it was about £2 I think) but in parts this zoo was almost as good as London zoo which charges about 10 times as much! The primate centre was especially good, although there was a small additonal fee for this. In general, the animals seemed well cared for and had large enclosures ( often bigger than in so called World class zoos I have visited) although there were a few exceptions such as the primates which hadn't made it into the new section. Overall though, I thought this was a good zoo, a great park and excellent value for money.

3  Thank doctornicky
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Go at 6am, venture a walk. I spent many times with my 5 year old exploring and conversing in wonder. I let him interact with the officers and we had so much fun. He developed the respect for nature and animals there. Surely you can't expect a zoo not to smell like a zoo, so do brace yourself. You're there to see nature. It's like exploring Kebun Raya Bogor with more animals and things to play with. Carry some cash for the rides, you can take photos or go to the petting zoo. I prefer to walk the journey, but there's transport in there. You can rent a bike, too.
I suggest go early and get out before it's too hot. Haven't tried this, but it might be fun in the afternoon as well.
Zoo are expensive to keep up, and it might be especially so in the city like Jakarta. I'd like to see an affordable way for anybody to participate in donation to the Zoo.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I can't enjoy the show nor the animal living there since I have to hold my breath. Its crazy stinky and dirty.

1  Thank Achidhana