“Beautiful Workmanship, Definite Tourist Circuit”
Review of Mas Carving Center

$45.00*
Private Ubud Tour
Ranked #95 of 518 Shopping in Bali
More attraction details
Owner description: Mas Village is a village of art with a focus on carving of wood sculptures. It is situated in Ubud District and Gianyar Regency has a distinctive style in the art carving of wood sculptures that promotes characteristic synergy of humanism and naturalism. The fame of this village as a village of art has been recognized nationally and internationally which can not be separated from the greatness name of some maestros who born, growth and find their identities and spirit of art in Mas Village like the famous artist, Ida bagus Tilem (deceased) and others.
Boise, Idaho
137 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Beautiful Workmanship, Definite Tourist Circuit”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

We wanted some unique pieces that represented Balinese culture without spending a mint.

As result we put Mas Carving on the list for our driver on our tour day. Note i am almost positive these drivers get a cut, as is common at all the other businesses (coffee plantations, certain restaurants, silver shop, sports houses, etc.)

The shop we went to was large and had thousands of pieces that were all wonderful. They even even had 3 carvers at entrance for demonstration purposes when tourists arrive - the showmanship was evident as there was hardly any wood chips around them and when no was around they took smoke breaks.

With that said however it is still up to us, and i completely agree with earlier post that most of pieces are very unique so if you see one you like, chances are you will not find elsewhere.

Negotiating is a must from my perspective, yet i always feel i am no good as we started at $1.5M and settled at $1M for some puzzle boxes, Hindu statute, Buddha statute, and small flowery wall decoration. I am sure i could saved another $100k or so if i was better.

All in all many of the galleries hold unique works of beauty and suggest all should visit one at least once and at last haggle for one item, even if it is a small piece

1 Thank Jeff N

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Beautiful carvings, too pricey”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We visited this in October 2013. Very beautiful carvings - however the guide followed us around like a hawk, it was a little unnerving.

The prices were quite steep, many were up to $15,000 for a largish carving. We found the exact same wooden carvings for much cheaper elsewhere, so you should maybe shop around. The store isn't going anywhere soon, so you can always return to buy something.

Several of the items had the name of the carver and the date carved into them, some were unsold for nearly 8 years.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank daleala
New York, New York, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Amazing collection of carvings”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was taken by my driver to one of the stores at this village and was very impressed at the quality of craftsmanship. They claimed to use high quality wood like crocodile and ebony. The prices were quite expensive but somewhat negotiable. They knocked the price the carving I was interested in by about 20% but did not seem willing to go lower than that. I ended up buying a "Bali Opera Queen Mask" made of crocodile wood. Definitely worth checking out if you're willing to pay for a quality carving.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Elijah_Lamond
Chicago, IL
184 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 226 helpful votes
“This Is Where Talent Resides”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

As part of a group, it was almost guaranteed that we would be taken to Mas Village. As soon as you step off the bus you see how talented these men and women truly are. There are carvers at work outside and you see all of the finished pieces upon stepping inside the shop. Although there are several affordable pieces, most of the work there is quite pricey. If I'm being honest, it's also meant to be purchased by those for whom money is no object. Several members of my group made purchases but I did not. I tried to negotiate on a piece for a friend but they refused my price. So...I walked away. And...several days later I honestly regretted it. What I missed the most was the fact that I wanted a souvenir that said "Bali" and most of their pieces did not. Had I purchased the piece I wanted through them, they could have asked the carver to engrave the word "Bali" on the piece right then and there.

My recommendation: if you spot a piece you love and have to have, do NOT hesitate to negotiate the price. Most of all, don't walk out unless you purchase it. You will come across some general pieces throughout other stores in Ubud, but the truly unique pieces are hard to find.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank appetite4trvl
Memphis, Tennessee
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Only certain galleries are worth your time”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The Mas Village outside Ubud does have many galleries. But only a few is worth your time if you are a serious collector of wood sculptures. I would recommend the Manis Gallery (huge collection of master-pieces and works by anonymous carvers), the Tilem Gallery (small collection of mostly expensive master-pieces) and the private huge gallery of master carver Wayan Mudana (truly a genius). There is also a huge gallery of quality pieces in the Taksu Bali Gallery in Peliatan (opposite the babi guling restaurant). The pieces by anonymous carvers are very reasonably list-priced. You can easily get a 50% discount. If you are willing to spend USD1000, you can get a museum-quality sculpture that will delight you for life. They can take care of shipping for you too at very reasonable cost. If you are not buying wood sculptures in Ubud, you have come here for nothing. There is really nothing much to do here in Ubud except Yoga and body massage. The art market near the Ubud center is a dump that you should skip completely unless you are interested in penis-shaped key chains.

Visited May 2013