“Up Close Hands On Experience For A Small Donation”

Turtle Conservation and Education Center
Ranked #245 of 790 things to do in Bali
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I enjoyed my trip to Turtle Island. We had a great guide who knew a lot about all the animals here and clearly had a great bond with them.

Our guide assisted us in getting photos with turtles and snakes! I didn't expect to be permitted to hold these animals without paying a big fee. We were only asked to pay $1AUD to support the conservation here. Time was not limited and our guide ensured we handled the animals correctly.

I'm very surprised at the bad reviews. I felt the animals were cared for and were not in distress. There were no small cages jam packed with animals. When our guide entered a cage with a bat he was tickling it's stomach and having fun with him - clearly a bond he had developed. He had thorough knowledge of the animals, and those found in Australia. He was able to teach me things about my own native animals.

Don't bother with the glass boat though, you don't see anything but rubbish and water rushing under you. I thought they would stop over a reef or something. We weren't permitted to snorkel that day either due to there being too many jelly fish. I'd rather have snorkelling cancelled than being dropped in for the sting!

1  Thank Emily M

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Firstly. I am surprised at all the bad press this place is receiving. Yes, it aint a Zoo like u have back home, but the animals are caged and are not under stress. As long as they are not under stress, I cant see why people would judge this business enterprise.
I was just happy to be able to feel what turtles, snakes and birds would feel like in real life.
There are donations accepted for $1 that hopefully are going towards conservation in some way or form.
The biggest rip off is the boat ride to get there. Pay them $15 and no more (150.000 IDR). Anything else is a rip off as it doesnt even cost a $1 in fuel and those boats are seriously not that good.
I may come back again if in the area now that I know how much not to pay for the boat ride.

Do go have a look. My favourite was the turtles!

Thanks.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Oh dear….

Nothing special… and a little depressing. A bunch of dingy cages with animals they bring out to pose with for a photo

It’s not really clear how packing as many turtles as they can into paddling pools is helping them either… I’m pretty sure from other turtle conservation places that adults don’t need to be penned up for their safely and I doubt they are breeding them given that they don’t from my understanding lay their eggs on tiles floors.

Didn’t see any fish from the glass bottom boat but did catch a glimpse of some plastic bags and soda cans.

There is so many better places to do this.

3  Thank Tristan B
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Boat ride was nice but all downhill from there. The worst sights were the large birds and a juvenile monkey all housed seperately in cages with nothing but a concrete floor and a pool of water in the corner. The poor monkey looked ill and showed signs of depression. I asked where he had come from and our very loud and crass guide tells me they go and 'get one from the forest every 5 months'. I told him how disgusted we were and asked to speak to the manager but he never showed. Don't go there and provide them with cash to keep this heartless trade going!!

6  Thank moetfan
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Short Story:

The animals are kept in horrendous conditions and the people working there could not care less about your experience or the suffering the animals.

Longer Description (Recommend everyone reading):

You firstly arrive after the more than disappointing glass bottom boat experience. I think me and my friends saw exactly one fish.

You are then escorted into the "turtle sanctuary", which would be better described as a turtle prison/concentration camp. The turtles live in absolutely abysmal conditions alongside the other animals which are constantly harassed by your "guide" for photos. If you have any shred humanity in you, you will see that these turtles have lost the will to live completely, as have the other animals.

The turtles and other animals (this consists of monkeys, toucans, lizards, eagles, amongst others) sleep and are fed in their own filth, which I highly doubt is cleared out at any point in the day. When the animal is not moving around or what the guide will tell you is "sleeping" they will poke, prod and pull at the poor thing until it wakes up and moves. I would more than likely assume their description of the animals as "sleeping" would actually be deadly sick.

What however shocked me to the point of tears was the turtles with their back legs missing, after asking the guide what had happened he said that "they play and sometimes bite each other for fun". I suspect that either A) the turtles back legs are hacked off that when the tourists lift them up they aren't scratched by the turtle fighting to be put back down or B) The turtles are actually biting one another, but not out of play but instead the ridiculously tiny baby pools of water they have to co-exhist in with a minimum of 50 to 60 other turtles.

Adding insult to injury, is the fact that these uneducated guides (if you can even call them this) have no idea what they are talking about. They are not there to inform you about anything as they have no idea what is actually going on, they are there solely to squeeze an extra dollar or two out of you, very likely because you will feel so sorry for the animals. I feel that the reasons the animals live in such terrible conditions is not only because of the lack of money, but somehow also a play on human emotions to donate money.

I strongly recommend you do not go here, and I strongly recommend you complain to your hotels if it is through their recommendation that you end up here. My hotel seemed completely oblivious to the fact that the turtles are being treated like this. I, however, assume to some degree they know.

I will also be contacting wild life agencies and I hope others do the same. This is animal abuse not animal conservation and is absolutely disgusting.

17  Thank Bananaleaf89