“Dissappointed - but next time”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mount Agung

Ranked #36 of 713 things to do in Bali
Sydney, Australia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Dissappointed - but next time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

After climbing Mt Kinabalu (4,095M) in Apri, 2013 I'd thought I'd be OK for Mt Agung (3,013). I was wromg. Mt Agung is a more challenging steeper climb, the uneven path is practically straight up.
In early December I was staying at Jimberan and had an early dinner as the driver was picking me up at 12.00. There was a long two hours drive to the base of Mt Agung.

With not much sleep and not feeling that great, I started off in the dark at just after 2.00AM. Within an hour I had met two group who were descending due to difficulty and lack of fitness.

My guide was Made Leni has summited more than a hundred times is actually the younger sister of Wayan who is often mentioned in this thread. Made was very helpful in lighting out the path as she waited for me to catch up.
After about five hours we were 2,700M up, I was exhausted. Made told me another two hours and even more steep to the top. We had a rest and watched the beautiful sun rise. At that time two young lads were decending having decided it was too difficult. I also decided not to continue.
I was dissappointed in not been able to do better BUT next time will be better prepared.

Mt Agung is a serious challenge and not a mere hike to watch a sunrise. If you want to do that I suggest Mt Batur.

I would suggest anyone who want to attempt Mt Agung to stay closer to the mountain, get a good night sleep, have proper hiking shoes, take jumpers and jacket which you can layer off, take lots of water. Made and Wayan are part of a pool of 28 local guides that work on a rotational basis. They are well recommended.

Some one mentioned about cutting toe nails. I know from experience that this is important. After seven hours of downhill trekking where the toes are hitting the inside of your shoe, the nails take a heavy pounding. At Kinabalu, mine turned blue and were eventually lost.!

Good luck to those that are willing to take up the challenge

Visited December 2013

• Polish first
Durham, North Carolina
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 239 helpful votes
“The best place to see a Balinese sunrise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I enthusiastically recommend seeing Agung if you go to Bali. It's best to get to the base the night before, find accommodation, and arrange for a guide to lead you up the side in the small hours before dawn. This is quite a vigorous hike, not unlike climbing a ladder for several hours, as Agung is very steep. At the top, you'll encounter steam vents and a vague sulfurous odor, and guides will usually prepare breakfast for you. As the sun rises, people in the valley below begin playing gamelans, and this is sweet and spectacular.

Visited February 2013
6 Thank karmaswimswami
Hong Kong, China
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Good Hiker only, friendly and lively guides”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

I was in great shape to climb the Agung after the Merapi and a month of July in the French Alps.
I loved the view and the atmosphere, the guide wayan and his crow, even his sister sometime his mother. Just one misunderstanding as I wanted to go to the very top and went only to the rim, but I will go again, amazing shooting star on the way.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank MenVacances
A
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“So hard - but so beautiful!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Climbing Agung is not for everyone! We totally underestimated it. It was so, so hard, but the view and the sunrise were incredible.
First of, our guide was fantastic! Months before we travelled there, I contacted Wayan Widiyasa (wayan.idguides@gmail.com), whose name came up a lot on the internet. We decided to go for the longest climb, from Purah Besakih to the summit, price was 850.000 Rp for 2 people. Wayan did not guide us himself, he belongs to a collective with 28 local guides. Our guide's name was I Gede Mundut Aryana, and he was amazing (can be contacted through the same emailaddress). He stopped at all the right spots, feeling when we needed rest. Especially on the way down (which was maybe even harder than up - it certainly felt much longer), he helped me out a lot. I could not have done it without him!
The climb was, as said, hard. The path is basically just a straight line from the temple to the top. Nothing like European mountain paths. It was steep, climbing with hands and feet (and ropes) at times. It's about 6-7 hours to the top. Then, you take the same path down. Which took us about 5 hours as well (mostly because of me, my boyfriend could have done it faster). Wear good trekking shoes to get a good grip on the surface (it gets slippery, especially after rain). Bring layers of clothes, it gets cold at the summit. And bring enough water and snacks.
If you are an experienced climber, and/or are very physically fit, this is definately an interesting trip. Don't underestimate it though!

Visited October 2013
5 Thank K H
West Yorkshire
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Fabulous Views but a Tortuous Climb”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Climbing Mount Agung is one of those things that I did not enjoy at the time but am very pleased to have done. I have climbed quite a few peaks and many have been described as challenging but this is in a different league.

The thing about this mountain is that it is incredibly steep the whole way with no respite. There is also no path to follow so it would be very difficult to ascend without a guide. In fact it is very difficult even with a guide. The terrain changes as you go higher but none of it is straightforward. It would be very easy to fall and in many places the fall could be a very long way.

On getting to the top there is a feeling of elation. Sadly we didn't manage to get to the top in time for sunrise but nevertheless the views are quite stunning. We set off hiking at 2.00am and this was way too late. It took us around 5 hours to ascend and that was without stopping other than for a quick snack for a few minutes.

Nothing could have prepared us for the journey down. It felt as though it was twice as long as the journey up and it took us around 9 hours to walk down. The route is very slippery in places and we fell several times - fortunately not too far.

I would recommend this hike only to those who are very fit and have plenty of hiking experience. If you haven't (and we fall into this category) then you can still do it but you will really suffer. That said - the views are amazing and so worth it if you can put up with a bit of pain and exhaustion.

Visited October 2013