“So hard - but so beautiful!”
Review of Mount Agung

Mount Agung
Book In Advance
More Info
$137.50*
and up
Mount Agung Trekking: Climbing The Highest...
Ranked #52 of 820 things to do in Bali
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Climbing Agung is not for everyone! We totally underestimated it. It was so, so hard, but the view and the sunrise were incredible.
First of, our guide was fantastic! Months before we travelled there, I contacted Wayan Widiyasa (wayan.idguides@gmail.com), whose name came up a lot on the internet. We decided to go for the longest climb, from Purah Besakih to the summit, price was 850.000 Rp for 2 people. Wayan did not guide us himself, he belongs to a collective with 28 local guides. Our guide's name was I Gede Mundut Aryana, and he was amazing (can be contacted through the same emailaddress). He stopped at all the right spots, feeling when we needed rest. Especially on the way down (which was maybe even harder than up - it certainly felt much longer), he helped me out a lot. I could not have done it without him!
The climb was, as said, hard. The path is basically just a straight line from the temple to the top. Nothing like European mountain paths. It was steep, climbing with hands and feet (and ropes) at times. It's about 6-7 hours to the top. Then, you take the same path down. Which took us about 5 hours as well (mostly because of me, my boyfriend could have done it faster). Wear good trekking shoes to get a good grip on the surface (it gets slippery, especially after rain). Bring layers of clothes, it gets cold at the summit. And bring enough water and snacks.
If you are an experienced climber, and/or are very physically fit, this is definately an interesting trip. Don't underestimate it though!

5  Thank K H
in 7 reviews
"shorter route"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Climbing Mount Agung is one of those things that I did not enjoy at the time but am very pleased to have done. I have climbed quite a few peaks and many have been described as challenging but this is in a different league.

The thing about this mountain is that it is incredibly steep the whole way with no respite. There is also no path to follow so it would be very difficult to ascend without a guide. In fact it is very difficult even with a guide. The terrain changes as you go higher but none of it is straightforward. It would be very easy to fall and in many places the fall could be a very long way.

On getting to the top there is a feeling of elation. Sadly we didn't manage to get to the top in time for sunrise but nevertheless the views are quite stunning. We set off hiking at 2.00am and this was way too late. It took us around 5 hours to ascend and that was without stopping other than for a quick snack for a few minutes.

Nothing could have prepared us for the journey down. It felt as though it was twice as long as the journey up and it took us around 9 hours to walk down. The route is very slippery in places and we fell several times - fortunately not too far.

I would recommend this hike only to those who are very fit and have plenty of hiking experience. If you haven't (and we fall into this category) then you can still do it but you will really suffer. That said - the views are amazing and so worth it if you can put up with a bit of pain and exhaustion.

1  Thank Pam004
Reviewed October 18, 2013

There are two main routes up the mountain, one is difficult if you're not brave or fit and the other is more difficult. I went for the easiest route from the temple.

Started the climb about 1am and made it to the summit about 5:30am including some breaks.

I wasn't really sure what to expect, hadn't done any mountain climbing before. A couple of people didn't make it because either they weren't fit enough or they got scared on the last hour of the climb.

The whole climb is quite steep and tough, first through trees and then rocks, but the last hour of the climb is pretty dangerous. I'm definitely a seeker of dangerous things to do, but the fact that there was no briefing, no warning, no safety equipment at all... was a bit shocking. I was unprepared in shorts and a pair of Vans, I just thought I'd be cold. However there really is some climbing to do at the top and IF you fall, you will be hurt or killed in some places. Adding to this, it was cold and wet because we were in a cloud and it was dark.

All of that said, it was amazing, the best thing I've ever done, I think I felt a bit sorry for the people that didn't make it due to what I mentioned above.

Definitely take a good pair of shoes, and a jacket and zip on trousers for the summit. A pair of gloves would of helped for the top as well as the rocks were freezing.

Great trip.

7  Thank Henry B
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I climbed Mount Agung mid September in memory of our incredible friend who recently died in a speed flying accident in Canada. He was a lover of adventure and we wanted to honor him and say goodbye in way he would have loved. After reading the reviews about how difficult, yet rewarding, the climb to Agung was we knew it was the right thing to do - we were not disappointed!!

Our guide, Pak Mudi, is a spiritual trekker with 21 years experience climbing the volcano. He performed a ceremony before we began, sprinkled us with holy water, and gave offerings to the volcano gods. We felt in very good hands and the 95 dollars we each paid was worth every penny. Our ascent started at 1:00am in the parking lot, there we suited up with many layers, headlamps and hiking poles. We had asked to climb up one side and down the other finishing our mission at bersakih. I'm super stoked we did this because we got to summit the highest peak and see the volcano from both angles.

The climb was indeed challenging and definitely not for the faint of heart but I felt like I had such purpose as we ascended that nothing was going to stop me no matter how scared I felt. Our friend had a reggae radioshow that I played quietly on the way up. This helped immensely to sooth my fears...nothing like a little reggae to make you smile. Mudi, paced the climb beautifully stopping at the perfect moments so we could take in the twinkling stars and lights of Bali below. The weather was fantastic. Clear as a whistle!

The hardest part of the accent was certainly the last hour. You are basically scrambling...being present in the moment and choosing your footing carefully is essential. It was very meditative. Reaching the summit was amazing! The sun never looked so beautifully comforting as it did that morning. We mounted a flag in honor of our dear friend Jeff and performed a ceremony for him at the top. Shedding tears of joy and sadness we celebrated his life and gave recognition to the fact that every moment is precious. Make the most of your time with loved ones for you never know when it may be your last.

Tips
Cut your toenails
Wear layers, gloves and awesome runners or hikers
Go with an experienced guide
Bring snacks
Go at a reasonable pace, it's a LONG way down
Have positive thoughts
Honor the volcano
Don't litter ;)
Have fun

11  Thank KirbyTrad
See more reviews
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The cost of the trek was $80usd. This included transport, guide fees, a breakfast of boiled eggs and buns, and hot coffee at the summit. This trip was initially planned to include camping on the summit, but bad weather was coming in later in the day and the trip became a day trip. In spite of missing out on the camping part, I was able to not only hike the mountain, but see some amazing sights. The trek began at the temple of Pura Besakih.

As with Mt. Kinabalu (aug 2013), this trek began in the middle of the night. I was picked up from my hotel at midnight and we reached Pasar Agung, the beginning of the climb, at 1200am. By 1:30 we were on our way. The beginning of the hike is at the temple Pura Besakih. The climb began with 200 strenuous steps. It was as though the mountain was issuing us a challenge “Climb me if you dare”

After the 200 or so steps we were faced with more upward climbing. Although my confidence and strength level remained intact through the trees and bush, the real challenge came when we approach the granite summit. Mt. Kinabalu had ropes at certain dangerous parts of the climb. This was to keep us from falling and ensure our safety. Mt. Agung had no such luxuries. Mt. Agung had several large rock formations and a few narrow ledges that really tested one’s alertness and courage.

Made it to the summit at 0545hrs and was rewarded with another spectacular sunrise that can only be viewed in the thin atmosphere at the top of a mountain on an island. We also saw a spectacular crater which was the site of a volcanic eruption that killed many people in 1963. This event is commemorated with altars to the Hindu gods at the summit.

7  Thank weekendtrekkers