Kyichu Hotel (Jiqu Fandian)
$56
$55
  • Breakfast included
$49
TripAdvisor
All reviewsjokhang templehot watergreat locationunderfloor heatingnice courtyardbustling streetrooms overlooknew wingwalking distancemain sitesexcellent breakfastroom was largebarkhor areaa great staycomfortable bedscentral locationheated floors
Reviewed September 3, 2013

From the front entrance off of a extremly street there is not much to look at but you walk into the reception desk and get checked in the staff were all very nice my room was through the courtyard and up to the 2nd floor 1 st day in Lhasa take it slow you just flew in from 600 feet and now your over 12,000 yes we all noticed it in our group of 14..The room was off a back alley and I had read about nicer rooms but I was in Tibet and I had a wonderful room wooden floors and the noise outside just made me feel more at home very nice bathroom and the courtyard was wonderful and peaceful. The dining was very good abd we had real hot served coffee for a American that was super the staff were all freindly and helpful..Great location 15 minute walk to the square in front of the Palace where they had live music nd dancingand a light and water show every night 830 to 930 make sure to go at least one night...I would recomend to any of my friends to stay at the Kyichu Hotel and when I return it will my first place to consider Thank you to the staff I stayed there in late July 2013 my name is James L, Wedo from Winona ,Minnesota

Room Tip: I did not know about the pool of fitness center if I had I would of been there for sure sorry I missed it Go out to the markets and meet the people make sure you go to the sqaure in the evening even if you don t dance they also have a romantic park in the area to walk in with strings of colored lights over the water..I found places like this in every city in China you just had to get out there and find and get to know the wonderful people of Tibet if your looking for a guide I would recomend nyima excellent knowledge of English very much fun and I have him his first surfing flip flobs you see the big surfing sign when you walk out of the front door Make sure to enjoy the courtyard...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed in this hotel a plenty of times and I really liked them before. I do not know, what happened, but during this year something wrong is happening with them.
First of all, they are getting older and older. Carpets are getting dirtier and dirtier. The fungus creeps along the walls. And nobody cares about these "small issues". The owner believes, thei good name of the hotel and perfect location excuse all these things.
Another issue - the AC. The devices in the hotel do not fit for the temperature below 10. So, if you are "lucky" to catch cool weather, be ready the AC switches of automatically at the midnight, and nobody help you.
The hot water was always the "big issue" in this hotel. But in this year it became really terrible: there water doesn't flow - it drips.
The breakfast is clumsy and scanty, rather, Chinese than Western, and almost not eatable.
But the worst thing if their (as previous reporter called) "flexible reservation policy". Well, I have a deal with them directly, without the assistance of the travel agency, and this time I made a reservation by myself, as usually at least one month ahead. Well, I was completely surprised to get the message today morning - they are going to cancel my reservation without any reason. Well, rather, there is the reason they have very big group arriving on the same date and they need more rooms. They also managed the same trick with my friend, who visited Lhasa one month ago, so I have to state - "flexible reservation policy" is their main business rule.
On the other side, to be fair, I have to stress their really good location, amazing garden, quite nice and not expensive restaurant.
Any way, I've made my decesion. It is very good opportunity to say them "good bye" and find another option in Lhasa, newer and better, and, may be even cheaper.

Room Tip: Be ready - they can discard your reservation even just one day before arrival!!! Some rooms do not have the AC, and do not fit for cool weather.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We did not stay at the Kyichu Hotel but only dined one evening in the hotel's restaurant.

The little courtyard was quite charming, and surprisingly quiet after the crowded, busy street outside (the hotel is located in a prime location, not far from Barkhor Street and Jokhang Temple).

It took a while to get seated and the service was a little slow, but friendly and polite once they got around to us. The staff all seemed to speak at least a little English.

The food was very good (I tried the yak beriyani and my husband had yak pizza) -- both were quite tasty and portions were too big to finish. The menu had lots of delicious-looking options available (Western, Tibetan, Chinese and Indian) and the prices were quite reasonable.

I would definitely recommend, so long as you're not in too big of a hurry.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as a part of a group tour. The staff was very friendly and tried to be helpful; the laundry service was excellent and fairly reasonable. However, the hottest that the shower water ever got was mildly tepid. When we mentioned this to the hotel staff, we were advised to let the water run for 10 minutes to allow it to get hot. In addition, the a bulb in the overhead light fixture gave out, and it took two days for the staff to come to replace the bulb. When they arrived, they discovered that they did not have the correct bulb, so it was never replaced. I must say, however, that the location of this hotel was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tpr244
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Kyichu Hotel!

We had a lovely large room at the back of the hotel, on the fourth floor overlooking the courtyard and the distant mountains (see photo for view from our room). It was very peaceful and we got a great night's sleep.

The location is great - a stone's throw away from the key sights - and it was wonderful to be able to return to the courtyard and garden to relax and enjoy a drink and the peace, after a hot and busy day out on the streets exploring.

The room was spacious and the bathroom was clean and modern and we had no problems in accessing plentiful hot water. After days driving through rural China, we made great use of the free wifi!

We had a la carte breakfast at the restaurant which was good, and also a few meals - the Indian curries and Tandoori chicken were very tasty.

My only suggestions for improvement would be: (1) Provide a small amount of bottled water in the rooms daily, for convenience (2) Some of the bath towels were a bit shabby and needed replacing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back overlooking the courtyard for a peaceful night's sleep!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple